Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have waited far too long to pull the trigger on this line of games. But before I do, is it too late to start? I am nearing retirement and think this might be great for my wife and I to explore. Are many of the things not in print and not likely to be reprinted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only items that I know that are not being reprinted are the battle map packs (e.g., Memoir '44: Tigers in the Snow), the Memoir '44: Air Pack, and the Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1. The Air Pack and Campaign Book 1 are available in PDF form. Most of the rest is readily available, so no, I don't think it's too late to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Start with the base set, play through the scenarios it comes with.

Then go to the days of wonder website, and navigate to "scenarios from the front". There are a huge number of maps available. Select the author as jdrommel or looney lama and stay with western front - these are all really good.

If you exhaust these or you want a change, your options for an expansion become 3 fold: do you want to slog through the snows of the eastern front, the sands of Northern Africa or the western Pacific.

All are great fun in their own way. (But if you opt for Russia or Africa I'd recommend a desert winter board for effect)

Keeping this just to a single board will keep game time down.

If your partner really enjoys it, you could go to breakthrough sized encounters (double depth boards) or purchasing a 2nd base game enables overlord (double width) but game time extends significantly.

Whatever you choose, Memoir 44 is a great game. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and if your partner really, really enjoys it, you can get 2 breakthrough maps, put them side by side and play double-width double-wide "OverThrough" battles! They are awesome, but do take a long time. Get your feet wet first as mentioned above, and by all means - enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just keep an eye out on Ebay- you might have to pay more than you like, but you can end up with EVERYTHING in good time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
hirsty wrote:
Start with the base set, play through the scenarios it comes with.

Then go to the days of wonder website, and navigate to "scenarios from the front". There are a huge number of maps available. Select the author as jdrommel or looney lama and stay with western front - these are all really good.
I would recommend also looking for cheap copies of the Terrain Pack and possibly the Winter/Desert board before moving on to other expansions. A number of jdrommel and looney lama maps are better witch the Terrain Pack (or not playable without it) and aesthetically, the winter board is preferred when playing winter-themed scenarios. But maybe that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty easy to get ahold of almost everything this game has to offer. The best and biggest expansions are still in print and available for good prices online. You're fine jumping in now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The base game can definitely stand on its own as a great game.

As was mentioned, there are hundreds of online scenarios that can also be played with it so you're not going to run out of stuff to do that quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking at this game as a way to have years of enjoyable fun, you will never be late. The game came out in 2004 (12 years ago) and I first purchased a used copy on Ebay in 2007. Since then I have had years of enjoyment with just the base game and the literally hundreds of free scenarios produced by DOW and the faithful followers online.

However, If you are looking to collect all the items now, things have gotten really pricey. I think the base game, winter desert board and maybe the army and terrain packs will give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment and not be too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have "only" been playing since 2011 and had tons of fun on the board and online.

(Right now in full preparation for the next Dutch Open
click here
)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
Also note that some of the expansions such as the Pacific Theater are not OOP but are between print runs. So just because something isn't in stock anywhere doesn't mean it won't be in a few months. It's a little difficult because you don't know when stores will receive more copies.

With that said, they are releasing a new battle map around January. I would guess that they will restock everything then, so this may be the perfect time to get in if you want the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Just keep an eye out on Ebay- you might have to pay more than you like, but you can end up with EVERYTHING in good time...

I recommend this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My older son selected this as a holiday gift last year, so we're also new to the game. Historical war games are not my thing, but we've had some enjoyable matches. I would like to hear some suggestions from more knowledgeable gamers as to the best expansions to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hit Cool Stuff Inc. For better prices. Just bought two expansions that are on amazon for $40-50 for $25 and $27 each on Cool Stuff. Also sigmed up to be notified when one or two are back in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Where is your rope?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a word of encouragement to the OP. I got out of Memoir '44 a couple of years back. Sold it all. Then, just a few months back, one of my sons expressed an interest in playing Memoir again, which got me thinking about how much I missed it. In fairly short order and without paying exorbitant prices, I was able to assemble a substantial mix of new and used (BGG auction, marketplace and ebay) Memoir items. It just took a bit of patience and price watching. There are one or two bits I would still like to grab, but I have enough to last years of play already. And once you have some good basics, a fair amount can be fudged while you wait to acquire the rest. The forum and its contributors are great with tips and advice to get you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never too late, but be assured that basic Memoir 44 is a complete different game than say Memoir '44: D-Day Landings or Memoir '44: Disaster at Dieppe.

The cards changed, the rules changed ... for the better.

I am one of those guys that hate basic Memoir44 with its initial cards and limited boards, but the C&C system truely shines with all expansions and the full rules applied.

So have fun in collecting all available expansions, the only hard thing to do is hunting for the few pre printed map expansions. They sell for more than 100 euros a piece at the moment. No need to spend crazy money on them.

I would go directly for the DDay Landings, because there are still a few copies available. The normal army packs will be no problem to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
late starter here too, my copy only arrived today. bought on the strength of C&C napoleonics, (which is great btw)hoping to enjoy this one too. I am also contemplating pimping it out using 10/12mm figures and armour. I am probably an older gamer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of jumping in myself on this one. Sam Healey made some touching remarks about remembrance in putting this as his #4 all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woelkers
United States
Bristol
Virginia
flag msg tools
How old are you guys? I'm 75 yrs. old. I started playing M-44 about 9 yrs. ago. Really like this game. I play against my wife most of the time, she beats me about 1/2 the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My older son picked this out as a Christmas gift last year, and we've played sporadically. I'm more of a fantasy / D&D guy. Military history / historical games were never interesting to me. That being said, when we played, I enjoyed it.

What would you (the more experienced audience) suggest as "must have" expansions / additions to the base game? If there is such a list already posted to BGG a link would be awesome, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my collection years ago when I was in a tight spot and have regretted it since. I'd love to jump back in, but it seems like it would be very difficult to pick everything up at this point (especially from Australia)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
What would you (the more experienced audience) suggest as "must have" expansions / additions to the base game? If there is such a list already posted to BGG a link would be awesome, thanks.

Assuming you have a single Memoir '44 game and no expansions, I would go for the theater expansions first. My preference is this order, but your interest may vary:

Eastern Front
Pacific
Mediterranean

You could buy all three or you could pick up the Eastern Front expansion and then go for campaign and/or overlord. Assuming you want to play campaigns, I think Campaign Book 1 is great and covers Western and Eastern fronts. But you'll need Terrain Pack. So one alternative to picking up all three theater expansions is the following:

Eastern Front
Terrain Pack
Campaign Book 1 Download (may have to print some badges or use your own markers)

If you want to play overlord of what every theaters you own (e.g., Western and Eastern front), and willing to substitute Allied units for Russian:

Second copy of base game
Overlord expansion

However, there are not that many official overlord scenarios compared to standard ones. I personally would go for the Breakthrough expansion before overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Assuming you have a single Memoir '44 game and no expansions, I would go for the theater expansions first. My preference is this order, but your interest may vary:

Eastern Front
Pacific
Mediterranean

Thanks, I can work with this!

Quote:
But you'll need Terrain Pack.

I found the "Dessert / Winter" map for half price at one of my local game stores. Is that what you mean by Terrain Pack, or is there something different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:

Eastern Front
Pacific
Mediterranean

Quote:

I found the "Dessert / Winter" map for half price at one of my local game stores. Is that what you mean by Terrain Pack, or is there something different?

If I can jump in to answer...

The Terrain Pack is an expansion-sized box that includes a bunch of hex-shaped terrain tiles and, I think a few scenarios (too lazy to run upstairs to check...) It is different from the map set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
drathbun wrote:
pisqueeter wrote:

Eastern Front
Pacific
Mediterranean

Quote:

If I can jump in to answer...

The Terrain Pack is an expansion-sized box that includes a bunch of hex-shaped terrain tiles and, I think a few scenarios (too lazy to run upstairs to check...) It is different from the map set.

You know you're both posting on a website with a database of board games, right?

Memoir '44: Terrain Pack

Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board Map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.