Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have waited far too long to pull the trigger on this line of games. But before I do, is it too late to start? I am nearing retirement and think this might be great for my wife and I to explore. Are many of the things not in print and not likely to be reprinted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have great fun even if you just buy one Master Set. Yoy don't NEED every faction. That said, I expect it all to stay continuously be reprinted for at least another year. (Simply my speculation, no inside info.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally worth it. This game offers tons of casual gaming replayability with just the master set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the publisher's website, and they have the full line of products still in stock, except for the original Summoner Wars: Master Set, which will almost certainly be reprinted.

The window for a "competitive" tournament scene for this game has passed, since Plaid Hat Games have shifted their efforts to cultivating Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn on that front. But the Summoner Wars remains a wonderful game, accessible, and fast-playing that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a highly-replayable, easily customizable two-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started picking up the game 8 to 10 months ago and had no problem picking up anythung. Most of it is still sold on the plaid hat website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I just looked at the publisher's website, and they have the full line of products still in stock, except for the original Summoner Wars: Master Set, which will almost certainly be reprinted.

The window for a "competitive" tournament scene for this game has passed, since Plaid Hat Games have shifted their efforts to cultivating Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn on that front. But the Summoner Wars remains a wonderful game, accessible, and fast-playing that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a highly-replayable, easily customizable two-player game.

Never a fan of suggesting a different game to answer a question but certainly a BGG tradition.

Summoner Wars is the friendliest of all the customizable games. It is at its best in the casual-competitive environment. I ran a league for nine months at the local store with very good attendance and ranging from newbies to some of the best players in the world. I have run numerous tournaments with friends and family at home and even PHG's James played in one.

I wonder if they ran their wonderful tournaments at GenCon this year since my boys and I played them from 2012-15.

The game seems to be widely available. Pick it up, play it with your wife and, if you like it enough, I am sure you will find it very easy to introduce it to friends, family and get exciting tournaments going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
... The window for a "competitive" tournament scene for this game has passed, since Plaid Hat Games have shifted their efforts to cultivating Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn on that front. But the Summoner Wars remains a wonderful game, accessible, and fast-playing that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a highly-replayable, easily customizable two-player game.

Never a fan of suggesting a different game to answer a question but certainly a BGG tradition.

Well that's fine, because I truly wasn't suggesting Ashes as a game to acquire or play. Although it has received some good press, I haven't even played it myself. It is simply a demonstrable fact that Plaid Hat is not making any efforts to support organized play of Summoner Wars anymore, and they've put that attention into Ashes instead. See the "News" page on their website, which seems to indicate that they had multiple Ashes events at Gen Con this year, and no Summoner Wars tournament--at least none they considered "News"-worthy.

I think the rest of my post clearly shows how much I endorse Summoner Wars, which I happen to have played multiple times this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
... The window for a "competitive" tournament scene for this game has passed, since Plaid Hat Games have shifted their efforts to cultivating Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn on that front. But the Summoner Wars remains a wonderful game, accessible, and fast-playing that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a highly-replayable, easily customizable two-player game.

Well that's fine, because I truly wasn't suggesting Ashes as a game to acquire or play. Although it has received some good press, I haven't even played it myself. It is simply a demonstrable fact that Plaid Hat is not making any efforts to support organized play of Summoner Wars anymore, and they've put that attention into Ashes instead. See the "News" page on their website, which seems to indicate that they had multiple Ashes events at Gen Con this year, and no Summoner Wars tournament--at least none they considered "News"-worthy.

I think the rest of my post clearly shows how much I endorse Summoner Wars, which I happen to have played multiple times this week.

Ashes is a much worse choice for a casual player, a terribly written rulebook and not so good premade factions, Ashes does not work well without deckbuilding whereas Summoner Wars is great at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.