GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,210 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so I really like role selection games, starting with San Jaun & Puerto Rico & RFTG... Recently I got Bring out yer dead...Now I am considering these 2 more:

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Libertalia

Which of these 2 is the best?
Are they different enough to warrant buying both, especially if I already have bring out yer dear?

i like both themes... Space & Pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both of these, while I wasn't a huge fan of Bring Out Yer Dead. BOYD was okay but the theme didn't catch me and I felt there weren't enough different things to do throughout the game.

Libertalia is my number #10 favorite game. It plays well with up to 6 players. The art is great and the gameplay is quick. My wife who indulges my habit enjoys the game quite a bit too, so it plays well with gamers and non-gamers alike.

I really like the interaction and press your luck aspects of Libertalia. Sorting out the cards at the beginning or end of the game can be a little annoying but it's not that bad.

Mission Red Planet is my #31 favorite game. There is a lot more chaos in this one. The components are great, I love the little astronauts, and the steampunky art work is really cool too. There is something that just feels great when you prepare to launch the ships and actually move them above the launch pad. Its silly but very enjoyable. There are less actions available in Red Planet than in Libertalia but there is more going on overall so they end up feeling pretty similar weight wise.

In my opinion I would base the purchase on if you want more strategy (Libertalia) or the fun of chaos (Mission: Red Planet). I would also recommend at some point purchasing both because they play quite differently and both have a spot in a collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Libertalia and Mission: Red Planet are excellent games. They're also very similar on a surface level. What the differences really come down to (other than theme, of course), are thus:

Libertalia focuses more on the fact that the role assortment of each game will be random. So, a big part of the game play is analyzing the roles you've drawn and developing a strategy/counter-strategy based on that. How can you get the most out of your selection of cards while out-guessing all the other players trying to do the same.

Mission: Red Planet has the limited selection of roles that are always the same but it adds the area control element. This creates a demand for much longer-term strategy. Libertalia is all about the role cards. Red Planet also requires you to effectively deploy your astronauts on the board. Red Planet also has hidden scoring elements and special objective/event cards, which Libertalia doesn't have.

All that is to say that they are both absolutely fantastic games and they are fundamentally similar enough that I rank them right next to each other. I personally like Red Planet just a tiny bit more because of the area control and hidden scoring but they're both so good that I don't think either invalidates the other. They also both play six very well (if you get the second edition of Red Planet).

If you just like more of a razor focus on the role cards themselves and want a huge variety of roles, I say go with Libertalia.

If you want a tighter selection of roles but added area control and hidden scoring aspects, go with Red Planet.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.