Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Dale
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys...two quick questions about rules.

1. Do you HAVE to take your free step? That is, on your turn, can you just stay in a room and collect a card? The wording is a bit ambiguous: "On your turn, you CAN do several things..."

2. When going around the table throwing down Failure cards, are the players forbidden from speaking to each other? The sample game implies this is the case, though this isn't explicitly stated. (This shouldn't come as a surprise...as Aldaron previously noted, the rules don't explicitly tell you how to kill Dr. Lucky, either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yes you can stay in your room and collect a card.
2) Yes they are forbidden to talk to each other.

#1 I specifically looked up in the rules, #2 is my guess since that's part of what creates the tension in the game. You want to prevent the murder but at the same time you want to make sure that other people lose their failure cards faster than you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dale
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! With your help, maybe we'll finally kill that awful old man once and for all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:

#1 I specifically looked up in the rules, #2 is my guess since that's part of what creates the tension in the game. You want to prevent the murder but at the same time you want to make sure that other people lose their failure cards faster than you do.

It doesn't seem to matter in practice. It usually turns out that no-one has any failure cards devil so you better play *all* of *yours* to stop the murder. Even the person with 20 cards next after you will admit to not having a single failure point if you ask....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Discussion is fully allowed, but as it is in your best interest to have everyone else play all their failure cards (to make it easier for YOU to successfully kill Dr. Lucky) the table talk can seldom be taken at face value and involves quite a bit of bluff.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Actually, one strategy a player in our group does is to *play all his failure cards* as soon as he can. Pretty good way to play mindgames - especially when he *stops* playing failure cards. Is he just accumulating movement cards or is he *really* out of failure cards???

?! Sounds like a clever way to make sure that the players after you build up lots of failure cards they can use to thwart your own murder attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cross_ wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Discussion is fully allowed
I agree with Octavian here. At least in the version I've got ("Fourth Printing Jan 1999"), the strategy hints say, "no matter how many Failure cards you're holding, try to convince everyone else that you're out."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls