Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Is there a game that helped you turn a 12yr old video-gamer into board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
I have a nephew (12) who does not play board games, who knows only playstation and iphone apps and has never had any family support in board games, as matter of fact, his parents (yes, my family) think board games are monopoly.

I bought him Ticket to Ride 2-3 years ago and feedback is he never played it, maybe he didn't have anyone to play it with him.

I am wondering if there is any title that worked for you to get a teenager like that into board games, someone who was mostly in video games & playstation.

I'd rather hear your success stories because I do not want to be that uncle who keeps buying books, while I don't like to read. So maybe it's better to just buy him something else for christmas, but I am tempte to give it another try.

Help if you have a success story to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Be the uncle he likes.

Buy him video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the kid what he wants for Christmas and take along a game to play with him when you visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If his parents and friends aren't playing with him, it's not going to stick.

But... if you can find a board game with a *THEME* that engages him and his friends (and is fast to learn and play), then you may have a shot.

Learn more about the types of video games he's drawn to. Would he be drawn to Marvel? Sci-Fi? You may want to avoid anything that is overtly 'kiddish'.

That said... I agree with this:

Chrysm wrote:
Buy the kid what he wants for Christmas and take along a game to play with him when you visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I don't think board games are gonna stick if no one (other than you) is willing to play with him or show him how to play. After playing nothing but video games and phone games, having to read a rule book and learn the rules by himself (even TTR!) would probably seem like torture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to have to prove to him the board games are fun before he accepts them. Video games provide a different experience than games, if he is into action packed games like sports games, FPS games, or action games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, convincing him to sit down, slow the adrenaline, and think might be too much. Getting him to play If you get him something he doesn't want, chances are you just wasted your money, and he'll probably be guilted into keeping it (he still has the old copy of TTR). Teach him and the family TTR, and reassess as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming is a social experience. Without other people to play (and to motivate) him, I don't think your nephew will be playing any games, no matter how interesting the game is.

That being said, if you want to buy some board games for him, you might get his interest by buying games which share theme/experience with video games that he likes. If he likes RPG, maybe Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). If he likes MOBA/PvP, maybe Arcadia Quest. If he likes scifi/space theme, maybe Galaxy Trucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a hybrid game. Stop Thief has an electronic crime scanner, and it's great as a solo puzzle. Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. is a more modern game that marries chipboard and software.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephew (14) of my husband not totally turn around from video to board games, but strated to be interested in boargaming after playing Galaxy trucker. But this was at our home with our game and we explained the rules. I am not sure he would do this on his own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also go with the "give him a video game as a present and bring along a boardgame to play" approach. Btw, what kind of video games does he like? This information would probably help deciding what kind of board game you should take with you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Zombicide...looks cool and is simple and fun to play.
Can't say it will make your nephew a board gamer, but it was a big hit with my kids(age 8 and 13) and their twin friends (age 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess it would depend on what kinds of video games he plays. Games with a cross over in theme may well pique his interest more. The one game that comes to mind would be gears of war. But like the others said, the only way he would engage with a board game would be if someone like yourself plays it with him. Talk with his parents and make it abundantly clear that if they want him off the video games then they are going to have to muck in and engage with him themselves. Personally I think it's a losing battle, but if he keeps the games you give then one day he may be tempted to take it off the shelf and see what it's all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
gatekeeper86 wrote:
I would also go with the "give him a video game as a present and bring along a boardgame to play" approach. Btw, what kind of video games does he like? This information would probably help deciding what kind of board game you should take with you

Yeah I think I want to stay as the 'cool uncle' because I always tended to give him something that was not video games, yet he spends most of his times on that.

It's usually first person shooters and racing games, the family is very much into cars, he is a go-kart racer in his age category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:

It's usually first person shooters and racing games, the family is very much into cars, he is a go-kart racer in his age category.

If that's his video game taste, I'm not surprised he didn't play a game about trains.

You want something aggressive with lots of direct conflict. Possibly scifi or zombies. Alternatively, King of Tokyo might work. Or you could see if any of his favourite video games have board game tie-ins.

But none of this is going to go anywhere unless his friends are up for playing board games.

At this point, I agree with people who suggest you get him a video game and bring a board game for you to play with him. Possibly offer to run one for him and any of his friends who are up for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin22 wrote:

Yeah I think I want to stay as the 'cool uncle' because I always tended to give him something that was not video games, yet he spends most of his times on that.

Maybe try a racing board game? I play Steampunk Rally and it is a fun game. Each round, players draft cards for machine parts. Then, they simultaneously build their machine using the cards, then roll dice, place the the dice on the cards, discard the cards as the machines take damage and fall apart. On the next round, draft again, build machine again and blow them up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering : you will be sorry he stopped playing video games devil

More seriously, you could try Claustrophobia, it's a very thematic and quick 2-p game that should get him easily into boardgames.

And don't mind the nay-sayers : offer him something YOU like and you think HE might like, those kinds of gifts are much more enriching for the kid. He can always have what he likes by his own initiative (ie parents).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've found no board games that would really grab the attention of my two video gamers (my 11 y/o son and his dad) where either one of them would ask me to play it again. Both are into FPS, action games and Minecraft.

Real-time stuff worked quite well tho, my son chose Escape: Zombie City by himself at last year's board game fair in Essen and he enjoyed that quite a lot.

Cthulhu Realms was quite well-received by both of them, my son loves monster themed stuff and the game doesn't drag on too long. Maybe you could try Star Realms if he's more into sci-fi or Hero Realms if he prefers fantasy. Game play is pretty much the same for all of them.

In any case, I think theme is the most important thing to get a video gamer interested in board games, look for something competitive since that's clearly the type of video games he prefers. Something with low waiting times, since he's used to quick, constant action from his FPS and racing games.

Maybe Munchkin works too, Munchkin Marvel might be a suitable re-theme as well as Munchkin Adventure Time, if he likes the cartoon show. My son really digs throwing bad stuff at us and making our adventurer life hell. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boisvert
Canada
flag msg tools
I would look at Cry Havoc or Adrenaline. They both have a shooter theme if that is what your nephew is into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The game is called 'Find the Paystation I hid. Get hints by beating me at Agricola.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is quick to teach but didn't hook my nephew. I picked up Bloodborne: The Card Game, which is easy and based on a video game but have not got to try it yet. You either need to offer something like the games he likes or something that is interesting to him. My nephew loves money and Prospectus worked for him, its big and looks good and he liked dropping cubes and making money. He likes shooters so I try to find things that are really not shootery because that kind of twitch gaming does not translate well to a board, I have high hopes for Adrenaline and Project: ELITE.

Find out what kind of games he likes and report back. My nephew loved Skyrim and he loves the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set as long as I set it up and break it down. But I would also recommend buying him a video game and bringing a board game to play, if he likes it, leave it otherwise take it home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 12 year old son who is also an avid video gamer. My family loves board games but as we usually only see each other around holidays, they are not always something we have a lot of time to play. And my son is only with me half the time, so we do not have a lot of time to just break out the games I have and play. Most of the games I seem to own are group games that require a few hours to play.

However, I have found a few games with lower player counts and that tend to run with a shorter play time. My son has been interested in these as they do not take a lot of his time and allows me the chance to slowly introduce some of the gaming into his life. I am hopeful as he gets older we can put some more games in the rotation.

Some of these games, which may not be my favorite..but the point is to play with him and have fun... you may try something like

Boss Monster
Camel Up
Colt Express
X-Wing Miniatures

And I agree with the others-- buy him something he wants but bring a game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main two games that can get my 14 away from tablet/console are Small World and an earlier mention King of Tokyo.

He has recently taken to Lords of Waterdeep and racked up some plays with it.

He really likes Space Crusade but it a b@€th to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have an 11 and 12 year old sons. Here are some of the games they like:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - 12 year olds favorite game right now. Fairly easy to learn and teach and plays really fast.

King of Tokyo - My 11 year olds favorite. Again easy to learn and teach and plays somewhat fast. Cool theme and kids love knocking each other out of the game (or knocking dad or their uncle out).

Sushi Go Party! - Both kids really like this one. Pretty easy to learn and teach and plays fairly quickly. Always a funny time saying things like get your nigiri off my wasabi.

Ticket to Ride - Both kids really like this one also. Easy to learn and teach but takes a little longer to play.

Carcassonne - Only my 12 year old likes this one. Easy to learn and teach but takes a little longer to play. Not much theme so not sure it would be for every kid.

Catan: Junior - First "modern style" board game I got for the kids. They both really liked it. Easy to learn and teach and plays semi quickly.

Others that I have been considering but haven't bough/played yet:

Dice City
Catan

One that I own that I have not played with the kids yet but I think I will try soon:

Small World - A little trickier to learn and teach. Longer play time also.

The only game I have tried so far that did not work was:

Pandemic - Played it with my 12 year old and my brother. 12 year old ended up dropping out pretty quickly. Got bored by his 2nd turn if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterCrimson wrote:
Yes. The game is called 'Find the Paystation I hid. Get hints by beating me at Agricola.'

"And then he made me play a game about farming".

Well, it will give him something to laugh at with his friends at least.

But Agricola will ruin any chance of keeping the "cool uncle" status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Avello
msg tools
Rush & Bash try with this. They took the idea of wacky race and made board game. It s easy to learn, lot of interactions. My son 7 years old love it but we have a fun also as "adult". I dont know if is easy to find out of italy ( is made by italian publisher and designer and i have no idea if they got any international distributor or partern but anyway it is also cheap for the contents). The art is really captivating, coloured and every driver has hi own ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.