Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in exploring "storytelling" games in hopes of perhaps getting inspiration to make some for my students. What game(s) do you think do the best at incorporating a story with a game element? I have played Above and Below but that was before I even considered doing something like this. I also played Betrayal at House on the Hill, but again, long before this idea crossed my mind.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights is always the one that sticks out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories

no replayability though, once you complete it you're (eagerly) on to one of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Tales of the Arabian Nights is always the one that sticks out.

+1 for Tales.

One of the most frequent criticisms of Tales is that it's not very "gamey" (i.e. not very stratgeic). Star Trek: The Adventure Game is a little-known game created by the same designers as Tales and using the same paragraph-based mechanic, but built into the framework of a more properly strategic game. It's been out of print since 1985, but used copies can still be had for a decent price.

Also, Agents of SMERSH is a more recent, co-operative gamier homage to Tales.

And Near and Far is an "sequel" to Above and Below using a more developed version of the same "storytelling" paragraph-based system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thao Phung Nghe

Texas
msg tools
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game is a pretty nice story telling game in which players take turn creating a story using their cards trying to reach their specific ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective revolves around a story unfolding as you investigate a crime, and the use of newspapers add an interesting non-linear element to the narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom is a wonderful, thematic storytelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Tales of the Arabian Nights is considered a "storytelling" game, but storytelling is not really a thing players do in the game. Yes, you read different paragraphs, but it's very different from something where you are actually making up a story as in Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game or Braggart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a game where the players actually make up the story, then I will second Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game (love that game!). Also, Rory's Story Cubes are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:
Note that Tales of the Arabian Nights is considered a "storytelling" game, but storytelling is not really a thing players do in the game. Yes, you read different paragraphs, but it's very different from something where you are actually making up a story as in Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game or Braggart

Thanks. I'm not looking for the story to be made-up by the players but more like a choose your own adventure where they are basically directed towards various ending scenarios based on their decisions or events, etc. I see Arabian Nights is really cheap on Amazon today so I picked it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
hiimjosh wrote:

You are playing with the wrong players, then. The given text it just a nudge for telling the tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mozilla wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective revolves around a story unfolding as you investigate a crime, and the use of newspapers add an interesting non-linear element to the narrative.

I'd add Mythos Tales.It uses the Sherlock Holmes system, with a couple of new wrinkles. It's not as crushingly difficult as SHCD can be, but the Lovecraftian setting might be off-putting to some. On the other hand, I know next to nothing about Lovecraft and I'm really enjoying the game. The new design wrinkles enable you to create a story that feels more like a fictional narrative since when you visit certain locations and what objects you have with you affect the story you experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boisvert
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd recommend Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiimjosh wrote:

That's why I usually differentiate between "active" or "passive" storytelling in terms of game genres, because there is indeed a huge difference.

Sonicwarhol wrote:
Thanks. I'm not looking for the story to be made-up by the players but more like a choose your own adventure where they are basically directed towards various ending scenarios based on their decisions or events, etc. I see Arabian Nights is really cheap on Amazon today so I picked it up.

Seems like the perfect game, based on your criteria.

Note that you are not really "directed" in pre-set paths though, that the game is more sandboxy and yes, also random. Having said that, each player defines his/her own goal in destiny and story points (E personal victory conditions), gets to pick starting skills and is always having a quest card which you can go for if you want some direction and rewards/outcome you have more control over.

I also recommend reading this thread: ►First Game Advice

...because there are very simple ways to make the game more enjoyable - and I'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to consider might be Eldritch Horror. Very thematic and as everyone reads aloud as they play it becomes story like as well. One of my absolute favorites... there is a pretty lengthy time frame to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.