Hide
8 Posts

Mythos» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Dreamlands and Adventures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
If an Adventure requires me to go to 2 city locations, for example, do they both have to be in this dimension, or can one be in the Dreamlands and one in, say, Boston?

The Dreamlands rule book (p. 15) says that Dreamlands Adventures would specify whether a location (etc.) needs to be in the Dreamlands or not. Would the same apply to the standard Mythos Adventures?

Also, I could not find any information on the type of Adventures. For example, "Beyond your wildest dreams" (from Dreamlands) is a "Fantastic Dream" Adventure. Does that mean it has to be all in the Dreamlands? That would make sense to me.

If so, is there any significance to the other Adventure types? I've noticed "Heroic Adventure", "Mythos Experience", and "Corrupt Adventure". Are there more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:
If an Adventure requires me to go to 2 city locations, for example, do they both have to be in this dimension, or can one be in the Dreamlands and one in, say, Boston?

The Dreamlands rule book (p. 15) says that Dreamlands Adventures would specify whether a location (etc.) needs to be in the Dreamlands or not. Would the same apply to the standard Mythos Adventures?

One may be in the Dreamlands and the other in Boston. Standard Mythos Adventures were made before the Dreamlands expansion came out so the rules don't explicitly mention dimensional caveats to attributes. Most of the Adventure cards in Dreamlands and New Aeon fix this by specifying the appropriate dimension

darkyeoman wrote:
Also, I could not find any information on the type of Adventures. For example, "Beyond your wildest dreams" (from Dreamlands) is a "Fantastic Dream" Adventure. Does that mean it has to be all in the Dreamlands? That would make sense to me.

No, all the required cards do not have to be from the Dreamlands unless it explicitly says so. At least that's my interpretation.

darkyeoman wrote:
If so, is there any significance to the other Adventure types? I've noticed "Heroic Adventure", "Mythos Experience", and "Corrupt Adventure". Are there more?

Yes, some of the Adventure cards stipulate that another Adventure of a certain type must be completed first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you, pahoota. This is very helpful, and for a change, makes the game a little easier.

I'm slowly moving beyond the Standard Game Set decks, which are a really great way to get started with the game. But, as I am building my own deck, I realise that the Adventures that come with that set are very specific--you need a lot of very specific cards to complete them, whereas most Adventures give you more flexibility it seems. Many more cards can help you complete them.

I've mostly played Mythos against a friend, who is also new to the game. I haven't given solo play a serious try yet. It tried the standard solo rules, but found the game rather boring. I haven't tried the two solo variants here on BGG yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
I have another question related to Dreamlands:

I can only play Dreamlands Monsters if I am on a Gate Location in the Dreamlands. Since I might move into or out of the Dreamlands within a single round, I could thus also play Monsters from the normal world a Gate Location in this world, and add them to the same threat.

Once Combat starts, does it make any difference what Dimension the Monsters belong to? Can Dreamlands Monsters only be blocked by other Dreamlands Monsters or Dreamlands Allies? Or do we ignore the Dimension once Combat starts?

This is a question that came up yesterday in a game. We've been playing the latter (Dimensions are ignored), but in a sense the former would make sense conceptually, though it would make the game so much harder (and probably impossible to win if your opponent plays with the Dreamlands and you don't!). I therefore assume that Dimensions are ignored in Combat.

I could not find anything about this in the Dreamland rule book, which makes me suspect we were indeed playing it right, but thought I'd check, just to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimension doesn't matter except for special effects explicitly mentioned on the monster's card (i.e. "+1 if opponent is in the Dreamlands" or similar).

The scary part about the Mythos threat is that they can get to you no matter where you are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thanks. That is what I thought, but it is nice to have it clarified. We're slowly getting better. We've played about 5 games now, and don't have to look up the rules every turn to clarify what it is we should be doing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Two more questions relating to the Dreamlands:

1. Can my Dreamland Allies defend if my current Location is in the waking world (and vice versa)?

2. Can I play Events from the waking world, like "Travel by Car", in the Dreamlands? What about Artifacts or Tomes? There is restriction on Allies, as far as I understood, but does this apply to the other cards as well? We've been assuming it does, but some comments on this forum (in a different thread I can't relocate now) it suggested otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
In regards to question 2:

I've just found the official answer:

Quote:
In Summary:

Cards with a Dreamlands Dimensional Indicator may only be played in the Dreamlands.
Allies and Locations without any Dimensional Indicator are considered part of the Waking World and may only be played there.
All other cards without a Dimensional Indicator are universal and may be played anywhere.

I also found a helpful indication of the Regions in the Dreamlands:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.