Hide
4 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Best filler small box expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denmark
flag msg tools
If I just wanted to fill out the core decks a little with a single expansions, without thinking about or using new expansions mechanisms, what small-box exp would be best concerning more:

Common Items
Unique Items
Spells
Allies
Location Cards
Mythos Cards
Gate Cards

I know I can look up the card count for the different expansions, but I wonder if some of these filler cards are tied to new mechanisms in certain expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe most of the small investigator cards can be added without any trouble. There aren't references to any special rules, though the unique items and spells may be themed with the expansion in mind. fwiw, we have combined all the expansions for our mini cards simply for the variety.

The only cards we really keep separate for theme are Mythos cards. You could argue both ways on locations and gates, though we have found most of the cards can be combined without a loss in theme. The occasional location card can be very expansion specific, but not really tied to mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with the King in Yellow and Dark Pharaoh cards added to the base game, for variety (especially for location cards).

- If you remove the Act deck and the appropriate "Next Act Begins" mythos cards, I don't think any extra card in King in Yellow would cause problems.
(The new Blight cards and Yellow Sign Tokens are all tied to the Herald.)

Only thing is you need to add the Magical Effect cards to the main supply, as they are part of the effect of some spells.

- As far as Dark Pharaoh is concerned, there are a bunch of cards that refer to the Exhibit (items).
You might want to take those out or house rule something if you don't intend to use the Exhibit marker/encounters.

There's also the Patrol markers, but they come up very rarely it and it's no big deal if you ignore them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info The king in yellow seems great then, since it adds the most items and spell cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.