Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/opinion/the-right-way-t...

Draws some interesting parallels between Trump and former Italian Prime Minster Silvio Berlusconi, who profited electorally pretty much by trolling his opposition.

At the risk of sounding too much like one of the conservatives here on RSP, I agree with much of what the article says:

Quote:
We saw this dynamic during the presidential campaign. Hillary Clinton was so focused on explaining how bad Mr. Trump was that she too often didn’t promote her own ideas, to make the positive case for voting for her. The news media was so intent on ridiculing Mr. Trump’s behavior that it ended up providing him with free advertising.

Unfortunately, the dynamic has not ended with the election. Shortly after Mr. Trump gave his acceptance speech, protests sprang up all over America. What are these people protesting against? Whether we like it or not, Mr. Trump won legitimately.

and

Quote:
These protests are also counterproductive. There will be plenty of reasons to complain during the Trump presidency, when really awful decisions are made. Why complain now, when no decision has been made? It delegitimizes the future protests and exposes the bias of the opposition.

Personally, I would be happy to see the Left quit demonizing Trump. Not because I think he hasn't earned it. But because I think it's not going to be effective. Sure, the Right was able to get away with it with Obama, and turnabout seems like fair play. But I think people are tired of it, and they'll electorally punish whoever does it next. Doesn't matter "who started it."

This article is the first one I've seen that lays out a strategy I agree with.
- Force Trump to put up. Work with him to do the stuff the Left agrees with in his platform, especially when it's the sort of thing Republicans typically oppose. Let that side of the aisle work out its differences publicly.
- Get their heads back into the policy game, and start treating him like any other ordinary Republican President. Treat him like he's ordinary, and sooner or later he'll start to reveal himself as ordinary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/opinion/the-right-way-t...

Draws some interesting parallels between Trump and former Italian Prime Minster Silvio Berlusconi, who profited electorally pretty much by trolling his opposition.

At the risk of sounding too much like one of the conservatives here on RSP, I agree with much of what the article says:

Quote:
We saw this dynamic during the presidential campaign. Hillary Clinton was so focused on explaining how bad Mr. Trump was that she too often didn’t promote her own ideas, to make the positive case for voting for her. The news media was so intent on ridiculing Mr. Trump’s behavior that it ended up providing him with free advertising.

Unfortunately, the dynamic has not ended with the election. Shortly after Mr. Trump gave his acceptance speech, protests sprang up all over America. What are these people protesting against? Whether we like it or not, Mr. Trump won legitimately.

and

Quote:
These protests are also counterproductive. There will be plenty of reasons to complain during the Trump presidency, when really awful decisions are made. Why complain now, when no decision has been made? It delegitimizes the future protests and exposes the bias of the opposition.

Personally, I would be happy to see the Left quit demonizing Trump. Not because I think he hasn't earned it. But because I think it's not going to be effective. Sure, the Right was able to get away with it with Obama, and turnabout seems like fair play. But I think people are tired of it, and they'll electorally punish whoever does it next. Doesn't matter "who started it."

This article is the first one I've seen that lays out a strategy I agree with.
- Force Trump to put up. Work with him to do the stuff the Left agrees with in his platform, especially when it's the sort of thing Republicans typically oppose. Let that side of the aisle work out its differences publicly.
- Get their heads back into the policy game, and start treating him like any other ordinary Republican President. Treat him like he's ordinary, and sooner or later he'll start to reveal himself as ordinary.

Poppycock.

Trumps rhetoric isn't all that has gone on. His nominations for cabinet positions demonstrate an intention to promote policies consistent with that rhetoric. People may dissemble about whether Trump is personally racist but, his public statements are at very least hostile and indifferent to issues of ethnic equality

The GOP spent 8 years brutally opposing everything Obama tried. Despite record low approval ratings by congress, the GOP managed to hold on to it's majority in both houses and to capture the White House. One large reason was by crafting a message that all of the economic ills felt by the working class were the fault of the Democratic Party. This despite the fact that trade liberalization and finical deregulation was the primary economic agenda of the GOP for DECADES before Clinton signed NAFTA. A rigorous opposition is clearly a pathway to power so there is little reason for the Democrats to retreat to conciliatory appeasement.

The Democratic Party needs a spine, an organization and a new tactics book. They need to call out every misstep and draw every possible association between Trump and anything that remotely goes wrong in the next 2-4 years. Protests are the province of the people in the street rather than the political class and there is little reason to those people to withdraw their ardor now. Trump is exceedingly sensitive about his name and image. He has now settled a fraud trial for $25million and has watched his name come off of three buildings in New York. It may be the only way to get through to him is to erode his brand.

I say pour on the coal and keep it coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Trump is exceedingly sensitive about his name and image.

They certainly should play on that as it seems to be his most obvious weakness. My point is that, the way the dynamics of his Presidency are set up, the more they so obviously make things about his name and image, the more they actually set him up as a hero to his supporters.

I think we need to focus on his actual failures in governing. Oppose him rigorously, as you say, when he does things that go against Democratic Party values. He'll provide us plenty of opportunities to do so. But to take the hard line as Republicans did with Obama...to set out with a goal of thwarting his Presidency no matter what he's trying to accomplish at the time...I don't think that will be rewarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:

Not sure why they need to draw this comparison when we already have the road map on how to profit on your time in Washington here within the very election that Trump was in.

If he sets up the Trump Foundation, then we can worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:

Not sure why they need to draw this comparison when we already have the road map on how to profit on your time in Washington here within the very election that Trump was in.

If he sets up the Trump Foundation, then we can worry.

"profited electorally". Electorally.

The election is over, Hillary lost. Take some time to adjust and reset your automatic responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:

Poppycock.

Trumps rhetoric isn't all that has gone on. His nominations for cabinet positions demonstrate an intention to promote policies consistent with that rhetoric. People may dissemble about whether Trump is personally racist but, his public statements are at very least hostile and indifferent to issues of ethnic equality

Wow...so much uninformed butt-hurt.

The Alt-Lefties are gonna have such a rough few years coming up. I expect much gloriosity.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

They certainly should play on that as it seems to be his most obvious weakness. My point is that, the way the dynamics of his Presidency are set up, the more they so obviously make things about his name and image, the more they actually set him up as a hero to his supporters.

I think we need to focus on his actual failures in governing. Oppose him rigorously, as you say, when he does things that go against Democratic Party values. He'll provide us plenty of opportunities to do so. But to take the hard line as Republicans did with Obama...to set out with a goal of thwarting his Presidency no matter what he's trying to accomplish at the time...I don't think that will be rewarded.

Sure. If Trump proposes or takes action that actually has a remote chance of positively serving the country then such things should be encouraged. Thus far, however, we have only his infantile and dangerous rhetoric combined with divisive picks for government posts and rather bizarre behavior involving placing his children in unprecedented and unmerited intersections with foreign leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Poppycock.

Wow...so much uninformed butt-hurt.

The Alt-Lefties are gonna have such a rough few years coming up. I expect much gloriosity.

Ferret

Being called uniformed by you is......so utterly inconsequential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
jasonwocky wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

That's unrealistic in these days of 24 hour cable news, Twitter, and other social media barrages. Even if the party leadership focuses that way, substance is always lost in the noise.

I mean, look at this weekend. What's the biggest story? Oh right. The VP was booed at a showing of Hamilton. And when I last looked at Facebook, there was seriously a story running about Melania and her son staying in NY instead of the White House.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.