Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[1.0] Unit Management.
Attitudes amongst wargamers vary as to whether a player may manage the units of his opponent.

[1.1]
With some wargamers it is only proper to handle or manage one's own units, unless you are examining your opponent's stacks (where allowed). Thus, if the phasing player attacks some of his opponent's units and inflicts step reduction or whatever, his opponent flips the counter, not the phasing player.

[1.2]
Other people, on the other hand, prefer to flip the counters they reduce with their attacks. "I got a D1, so I flip your counter over." Essentially, the phasing player in this case is the only one who can do things with the counters which have real effects, i.e., actual movement from hex to hex (as opposed to setting the top units aside momentarily in order to examine the other counters), casualty infliction, and so forth.

[1.21]
The above method creates a more visceral, 'in your face' style of play. The defending player is left helpless as he witnesses the destruction of his forces.

[1.3]
Granted, in PBeM games you have no choice, practically speaking, but to handle one's opponent's units. Since this is a special case.

[1.4]
Which method do you use/prefer? I'm a 1.1 guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm defending, I'm a 1.1 guy. When I'm attacking, I'm a 1.2 guy. When my opponent gets mad at me and forces me to be consistent, I pick 1.1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands off my units, buddy!

We tend toward gentility in our games, however, so I would hesitate to cut his hand off at the wrist if my opponent absent-mindedly manipulated my chit.

At least, the first time or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't touch my units without permission.

It is acceptable to touch my units (especially to remove them from the board) if they're halfway across the table and I can't reach (and dont want to get off my rear )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer rule 1.1, with a bit of chrome.

Rindu wrote:

[1.1]
With some wargamers it is only proper to handle or manage one's own units, unless you are examining your opponent's stacks (where allowed). Thus, if the phasing player attacks some of his opponent's units and inflicts step reduction or whatever, his opponent flips the counter, not the phasing player.

[1.11] EXCEPTION: if the units of the non-phasing player are not within arm's reach of the owning player, the phasing player, may, with consent of the non-phasing player, manipulate the non-phasing player's unit(s). However, see EXCEPTION 1.111.

[1.111] The non-phasing player, once having given consent to the phasing player to manipulate the non-phasing player's unit(s), must specifically:

[1.111a] Define a line of hexes (hereafter referred to as the 'line of death') over which the phasing player may not reach to manipulate the non-phasing player's unit(s).

[1.111b] Define unit(s) of particular importance to the non-phasing player (hereafter referred to as 'favored units') as "off limits" and not to be manipulated by the phasing player, even if they are on the phasing player's side of the line of death. However, see EXCEPTION 1.111b1.

[1.111b1] With specific case-by-case permission from the non-phasing player, the phasing player may make an exception to rule 1.111b and manipulate the favored unit(s) of the non-phasing player on the phasing player's side of the line of death.

[1.111b2] The non-phasing player, once having given the phasing player a specific single-case permission to manipulate a non-phasing player's favored unit(s) on the phasing player's side of the line of death, may revoke that specific single-case permission at any time up until the point at which the phasing player actually touches the non-phasing player's favored unit(s) on the phasing player's side of the line of death.

ERRATA: In rule 1.111, please note that the words 'must specifically' should actually read 'may specifically'. The establishment of a line of death and/or favored units is completely optional for the non-phasing player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am playing with a 1.1 guy I like to make sound effects in conjunction with combat resolution. Stuff like making machine gun noises or whistling bombs when rolling dice. Explosions when I roll a 6. Yelling "Banzai" on a D-elim. Helps pass the time while he is collecting his now dead units.

Seriously, I can't imagine anybody I play with ever pulling a 1.1. If our gaming relationship is such that respectful play can be affected by who is touching whose units, well, it's time to find a new gaming buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
If I am playing with a 1.1 guy I like to make sound effects in conjunction with combat resolution. Stuff like making machine gun noises or whistling bombs when rolling dice. Explosions when I roll a 6. Yelling "Banzai" on a D-elim. Helps pass the time while he is collecting his now dead units.

Seriously, I can't imagine anybody I play with ever pulling a 1.1. If our gaming relationship is such that respectful play can be affected by who is touching whose units, well, it's time to find a new gaming buddy.

If you feel that you have the right to touch and feel my units without my permission, it makes me wonder what else of mine you feel free to fondle at your will. Proper respect is to play with yours and let me play with mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ruddy
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.1 with errata...

I will occasionally ask my opponent to flip, move (etc..) a counter if it is out of my reach. These are one-off happenings, and doesn't give my opponent carte-blanche to touch any unit of mine.

If a *lone* unit is destroyed it is fair game. In games where dead units can't be rebuilt they usually form a trophy pile.

When instructing a newbie, if he seems overwhelmed or confused I will demonstrate (this unit can't move where you just moved it, it could go here or there, but this thing here blocks for reason X) while touching his counters.

Other than these examples, hands off brother...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care much who touches who's units, as long as they keep them neatly stacked and lying parallel to hexsides or board edges. I hate when players are sloppy with their stacking, it makes me crazy, you hear? CRAZY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the abstract, I find objecting to your opponent flipping your pieces rather strange.
While playing, I am quite annoyed if my opponent flips my piece if it's within my reach. So I guess I'm with Jim, although I can't begin to fathom why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try my hardest not to be a stereotypical obsessive compulsive, semi-autistic nerd wargamer, by not fixating over who is touching what pieces.

I usually fail, and am thereby embarassed to be a steretypical obsessive compulsive and semi-autistic nerd wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny - I never thought of having to define this. I have played games for many years and I and those I have gamed with (different groups) have always followed 1.1. You don't mess with the other players pieces unless asked to... there is not a "I will bite your hand if you touch my pieces" mentality but a general understanding that it should not be done. In fact, this attitude extends to games of Battlelore and Nexus Ops... same rule... let the player who owns the pieces move and remove...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

[1.111a] Define a line of hexes (hereafter referred to as the 'line of death')....

That was pretty funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, "DON'T touch MY pieces!" - oh dear it is a game after all...

BUT what about the dice? Does everybody got his own dice? BUT this could be unfair as dice are likely not to be exactly shaped like the other one

What about changing sides in a second game?

Honestly I never thought about this question and after this short intervention I think I will never again. Needless to say I couldn't are less whether or not somebody touches "my" pieces...

Regards

Mixo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No territorial habits in our group. Half the time when I pick up a stack of counters, and in WiF they will be tall and lots of other stacks close by, I tend to shoot them all over or mess up all the near by stacks. I have played with the same group for many years they expect this to a degree and have no problem assisting me when I request.
Damm the huge fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the owner has a choice of which units to remove/flip, we leave it to the owner, even if the choice seems obvious. Otherwise we have no rules on who does the dirty deed.

Afterall, waiting for a reluctant owner to remove his eliminated 1SS Panzer Division can take a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:
No territorial habits in our group. Half the time when I pick up a stack of counters, and in WiF they will be tall and lots of other stacks close by, I tend to shoot them all over or mess up all the near by stacks. I have played with the same group for many years they expect this to a degree and have no problem assisting me when I request.
Damm the huge fingers.

Gotta rock the tweezers, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Definite 1.1 rules in my group. They can be waived at any time for any reason, but your chits are your chits and none may touch them without permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls