Subject: Low chit Hostile Cup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, my game is dragging on a little now. The Hostile Cup has been low at the start of the last 3 turns now, ever since I won at Mons Graupius. The removal of all Red Units meant I had to top up the Tribes at the end of the turn. A Battle in each turn has thus ended the turn in Action #1, as I couldn't do the 2 Hostile Tribe Reactions.

Anyway, after this happened for the 3rd turn, I need to do 2 Hostile Tribe Reactions. However, the only chit there is the Tan Leader. I rolled a 7, but that box is empty, so he goes back. Do I draw him again and roll? If I fail again, and he goes back, does that count as my 2 Hostile Tribe Reactions?

I wonder if I got something wrong. Since I beat the Red Tribes, there has been nothing to do.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

It's hard to say if something's screwy or not without knowing exactly what's been done each turn of the game, which I wouldn't expect you to keep track of, of course.

(1) What turn did Mons Graupius happen on? For you to have had 3 turns after it, and the game is still going on-- that must have been really early, right? It's possible to fight the battle and win it early-- the odds are stacked pretty heavily against it, I think, but it's possible.

(2) You're following the rules for Legion composition, right - no Legion can have three times as many Legionary units as any other, and two auxiliaries per Legionary Unit in the Legion? It's one rule that gets overlooked frequently.

(3) What's your VP situation look like?

The game is designed for Mons Graupius to serve as a climax, and the removal of the red units serves as a way to make the game "easier" at that point, as you've crushed the major resistance. So things will quiet down after winning Mons Graupius. It just usually doesn't happen early in the game-- it's usually on Turn 6, 7, or 8, with the last turn or two serving as minor mop-up or being passed entirely for VP (depening on where you are with the VP).

There is an exploit involving Peacekeeping that can result in the Hostile Cup getting systemically depleted - that's something we'll be addressing when the rules get revised before the end of the year - but if that's not what's going on... I'm not really sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mons Graupius was on Turn 5. I Battled in Damnoni. 6 (Resistance) + 6 (Rolled) + 2 (Calgacus in Caledonii) meant that I hit the * result for Damnoni. Faced 13 enemy with 3*3 Aquila Romans + 3 Tan 2/4 Auxillary. I *think* I'm doing the Battles correctly, but perhaps not. I didn't come close to losing any Battle, and lost 1 Roman and 2 Auxillary in Mons Graupius. I had Agricola there, so had Tactical Advantage. I played as if I had Initiative, as Calgacus was in Caledonii. If he is assumed to be in the Damnoni box after I trigger Mons Graupius, then I played that a little wrong. But if that is what happens, I think it would be good to clarify that Calgacus moves boxes.

When you Battle, how often do you lose units? I only lost those 3 in Mons Graupius, and none in any of my other Battles.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
When you Battle, how often do you lose units? I only lost those 3 in Mons Graupius, and none in any of my other Battles.

Thanks,

Colin

The battles are built to heavily favor the Romans, as set-piece battles are in their wheelhouse; they've got the training and discipline to usually rout the enemy without much difficulty. Losses are more likely to come from the auxiliaries, but every once in a while, a Legionary Unit is in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are some battles against low-threat enemies that should be cakewalks that turn into massacres. Generally, I'll lose some kind of unit in 2 out of 3 battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I must be doing something wrong, somehow. I would usually start with the Auxillary units in the second row of the Battle spaces, letting the Romans fight alone first. Then the Auxillary units usually got moved in for the second round. But it requires pretty bad rolling not to kill a single adjacent unit, and if you do, neither friendly unit is likely to die (with 2/3 Aquila Romans being essentially immune).

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.