Eleazar Lawson
msg tools
mbmb
I just received my copy of the 25th anniversary edition of this game and I'm reading through it and saw the inclusion of patrol markers. After reading the rules, to me it looks like a great addition to an already venerable system.

Modeling the contribution of a small team in a company or battalion scale game, especially when that team is there for reconnaissance rather than actual combat, can be difficult. In many games, the contribution of these assets is abstracted or even ignored completely. But as the contribution of "special operations" to modern warfare become more and more apparent, trying to model them explicitly also takes on more importance. The first time I remember anything like this (albeit not at the same scale) was in Gulf Strike by Victory Games and I think it could be considered revolutionary. The concept led directly to the special operations teams in Korea '95 by GMT (and later, the Modern War series). Again, although the contribution of special operations could have been abstracted in these games, I think commitment of these teams at a critical point in a battle is certainly within the perogative of the overall commander. In addition, explicitly placing your team to guide precision munitions on an enemy headquarters is just plain fun.

Special operations were still in evolution in 1965 Vietnam, but the importance of LRRPs, SOG, Special Forces, etc., especially in a campaign like this one, cannot be overlooked. Portraying project Delta, the CIDG, or even the 1/9 simply as combat units (even combat units with good ratings) does not accurately reflect the nature of their contribution to the campaign (or the war). In addition, the ability to reinforce the patrols when they make contact seems to me to portray the actual tactics of the day in a way I've never seen before. I think the hidden movement aspect of this game and the various assets the FWA has to counter it really emphasize the nature of the campaign. I look forward to playing this new edition of Silver Bayonet immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments. Love the idea of patrols and hidden movement, spotting and air support.

Can't wait to get this on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

The more I read about how patrols were conducted, especially with units like Project DELTA and the 1/9 guys, the more it made sense to highlight how they were used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.