Dead Last» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Problem with the final stand (The unballance of PRS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking at the final stand and I see that well there are 3 options. Safe, Friendly, and Greedy. So it would seem like Paper Scissors Rock where Safe<Friend<Greed<Safe but not exactly. So we all know the friendly share will end up with more of the loot than the safe grab 1 & go, and the greedy steal will take all four leaving friendly share with nothing. This is already an unbalance as a Rock smashes scissors win scores more points than scissors cuts paper. However when you look at the other loss the grab and go still has the same result against both share and steal. Grab gets 1 others get 3 so the paper loses to both scissors and rock. As for the Greedy Steal option it has to only worry about one thing, another steal in which both players lose.

IMHO I wish the final stand was a little more silicate in its balance. It would be nice to have two more options (lizzard, spock) to counter balance the steal and make the safe a little more powerful. Sort of like a revenge that if the player pick steal they are knocked out from the next round with no gold or a pact in which you give the 3 gold but they go down if you go down in the next round unless they played grab and go.

Other than that the only other balance option I have thought of is that Grab 1 & Go takes 2 if the other person picks Steal leaving the player with only 2. Still this is more of a draw but it does tone down Steal a little bit in power while boosting up the Grab 1 & Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lavallee
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would help if you change the perspective because it's not Paper Rock Scissors, it's a modified version of the prisoner's dilemma.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma[/url]

It's modified because you do have a safer options so it isn't always either steal, or share so that if you are in the lead and it would only make sense for other people to just steal, you still have an option to get 1 gold and win the game.

There's a lot of variations. I know people who declare that they will always share, and they do. Other people share at the beginning, and then eventually they have a turning point where they end up stealing (that would be me). Other people steal right away in the hope that they're going to get an early lead and then nickle and dime their way to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do come up with a cool five-card version and it play tests well, I hope you will share it so people can try your variant!
Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smirky wrote:
If you do come up with a cool five-card version and it play tests well, I hope you will share it so people can try your variant!
Curt

I got a couple of ideas. Revenge which is just a counter to steal. You take 0 gold unless someone plays steal. If your opponent plays steal you get all 4 bars and your opponent gets knocked out of the next round.

Another is a pact or bribe which is kind of like share but instead your opponent gets one more gold bar however there is a pact in the next round. This pact is negated if your opponent picks steal or grab 1 and go. The pact is if you get eliminated and your opponent voted for you that opponent with the pact also gets eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem is that if you know that the other player is going to play a steal, the only way to counter that play is to shoot yourself in the foot and play a steal yourself.

I'm going to try a variant this evening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably boosting the grab 1 & go is the safest route

Right now:
Steal +4 or +3 or -1
Share +3 or +2 or 0
Grab +1 regardless

So the most points on average action doesn't have a counter while the second one does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.