Subject: Workable solo PDF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Extremely interested in ASL...have no choice but solo...Vassal is out as an option....therefore,wondering if some one might direct me to a downloadable
PDF which would offer a workable solo experience?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

wow that's tough I know how you feel. For a long time I lived in ASL Nirvana with bunches of players (Raleigh NC area), now I'm in the land of hungry ghosts (East Sussex, England) -- but still I have VASL to cope!

Have you considered trying to get a copy of Solitaire ASL? Preferably the second edition? Otherwise, when I do a solitaire, I just try to play both sides as best I can. I don't double up the mine fields as recommended in the ASLRB.

Maybe someone has an alternative PDF out there, but I haven't heard of it. I'll be as surprised as you. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Marc...thanks..I'm from Winston-Salem...retired and have recently taken up the hobby...as I understand it hidden units are a bugaboo..along with a few other things..and I'm hoping someone might be able to pass along some house rules that we treat these dilemmas..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many different sets. Here's a recent one from here in BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546763/solitaire-asl-bot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks JP...but if I'm not mistaken..that bot is only for the #1 starter kit....it's terrific...but I was hoping for something I could use psst the learning scenarios...which I intend purchasing if I am successful,with a
solid work around.And as I understand it,the solo ASL...If one could find it without having to sell their firstborn,does not work with ASL games in the marketplace..but is more of a scene-battle generator,correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter's ASL Bot is initially made for the Starter Kit #1 scenarios but if you read on in the thread, there is also discussion how to handle full ASL scenarios as well.

SASL (the official ASL solo product) has it's own scenarios, so you cannot play regular scenarios with those rules (unless you tinker around, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another set of solo rules, these are by Mike O'Leary:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?resources/asl-solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
JP.....Thanks for the links.....the Mike O'Leary PDF while long,might be the answer...the other while ingenious.is a long thread and it appears I would pick up pieces to apply to make a playable solo...rather than a PDF ala Mr. O'Learys..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other one has a PDF too - you just needed to follow the drop box link in the first message.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ssr1rray8ktwp7g/AACVTa_wDgeXdfSqY...

O'Leary is pretty much focused on the handling of HIP and Concealment and not much else. Depends on the player, but that never really worked for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Peter...thank you for both the link and the hard work....I certainly have a lot of homework and decision making.. guess it begins with ASL starter kits..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Guards Counterattack and lots of other non-SK scenarios pretty easily with my rules if you prefer to go that way. I just haven't documented custom set-ups for anything outside of SK1.
Hope it works out for you.

Just checked - I even have logs for a sample Guards Counterattack game in that dropbox folder, but I saw that you didn't want to use VASL, so that's probably not too useful. But it's there, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Peter....once again my thanks....
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Just checked - I even have logs for a sample Guards Counterattack game in that dropbox folder, but I saw that you didn't want to use VASL, so that's probably not too useful. But it's there, just in case.

Hey Peter,

I haven't checked these before and decided to now. However, it looks like the cards don't show all the time. For example in the first Russian MPh, you can just see the back of the cards, not what's actually on it. I have downloaded the extension. In the PFPh before this, you could see most of the cards, but not all. Did you know about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what it looks like when I run through that file using the extension which is in the Dropbox folder. First Russian bot move of the first turn.

The top of the card is masked, but in the MPh I'm only checking the Movement value at the bottom of the card so I don't unmask the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
The top of the card is masked, but in the MPh I'm only checking the Movement value at the bottom of the card so I don't unmask the cards.

So when we go through the logfile in the MPh, we're only supposed to see the back of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the front of the card. The backs of the cards have no values on them whatsoever. For some reason the top left corner of the front of the cards is masked when you flip them and the Firepower value is covered up. You can right click on the card and select Mask to get rid of that thing.

That said, someone (Mike Carberry) who is better at VASSAL than I am did send me an updated plugin that I don't think has that problem - but I haven't played on VASL for ages and haven't tried it out yet. (Many apologies Mike, I know it's been ages.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I went through the MPh (except maybe right at the beginning), I could only see the backs of the cards, no values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
That said, someone (Mike Carberry) who is better at VASSAL than I am did send me an updated plugin that I don't think has that problem - but I haven't played on VASL for ages and haven't tried it out yet. (Many apologies Mike, I know it's been ages.)

No worries Peter and yes it does fix it

...at least it should...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been lucky enough to have a fair number of local opponents. At the same time, I like having a physical ASL game set up at home just for the enjoyment of moving the units and practicing the rules.

Over the years I've spent A LOT of time trying to devise a workable solo system. It's very very difficult to play solo in ASL because of the highly interactive nature of the game.

SASL is a mess (in my opinion). It creates really unnatural set-ups and requires you to learn a large rule-set on top of the already huge ASL ruleset.

The best bet I've found is to start with the O'Leary concept and then modify it to suit your own needs, perhaps adding in more concealment or creating a table of random events.

I've also tried various concepts of my own. But my home grown systems tend to become awkward and convoluted over time and I end up just using a modified O'Leary to handle concealment while solo playing standard scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like many aspects of SASL. For one, that you really don't even know what you are up against. And Random Events, and Command rules too, even though I do forget about them too often. It's a different beast for sure though. I've been thinking about mixing parts from SASL, Peter's Bot, and O'Leary's rules, but I havent't gotten around to it yet at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own - I definitely want a solo system that has some excitement when I'm moving a unit and I don't know if the other side will shoot or not. 99% of the fun of the game for me comes from there - if I make all those decisions myself, solo play is blah. I also want "opponent" moves to throw me some surprises - I don't want to make all those decisions myself either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
I like many aspects of SASL. For one, that you really don't even know what you are up against. And Random Events, and Command rules too, even though I do forget about them too often. It's a different beast for sure though. I've been thinking about mixing parts from SASL, Peter's Bot, and O'Leary's rules, but I havent't gotten around to it yet at least.

The real killer of SASL for me was the crazy quilt placement of the suspected enemy unit counters. They are scattered all over the map in totally bizarre patterns that don't even remotely relate to defensible terrain or military objectives. Usually half of them are even facing away from the direction of the enemy.

Still, SASL as a system had fantastic potential. It's too bad that MMP has decided to completely abandon it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
norev wrote:

The real killer of SASL for me was the crazy quilt placement of the suspected enemy unit counters. They are scattered all over the map in totally bizarre patterns that don't even remotely relate to defensible terrain or military objectives. Usually half of them are even facing away from the direction of the enemy.

Still, SASL as a system had fantastic potential. It's too bad that MMP has decided to completely abandon it.

Have you played SASL? or just have seen it?

I think it would be far better than a "solo" system.
YES, weird shit happens in SASL...but it makes the player unaware of ALL enemies he is facing, keeping it a surprise...

AND why is the OP unable to VASL? PBEM is legit.
He obviously has access to the internet...and the time solo will be 3x longer than a regular game.

Details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP has to make money and SASL was probably not profitable the second time around, too much of a niche and they don't want to deal with creating charts for each module they publish.

The main problem with SASL are the arduous rules for every possible sequence of events for the robot player.

There is a computerized game that's better already, even though the AI needs ( a lot of)improvement (Tigers on the Hunt, Matrix games).

It would almost be easier to create a SASL where the player could play both sides anyway, defeating the purpose of SASL. The other problem with SASL are the command rules, rendering application of the system to existing scenarios just too difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:
There is a computerized game that's better already, even though the AI needs ( a lot of)improvement (Tigers on the Hunt, Matrix games).

You mean the game that tries to copy everything from ASL but doesn't even have Fire Groups? Or have they fixed/changed that?

Many things in SASL are difficult when you start out, but you get used to them if you just keep playing. Same can be said about almost everything re ASL IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.