Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1st ed rulebook (which I'm not really using for rules, as I've printed out a lot of player aids), but I noticed that some of the laminated aids that came with my game do not match it. They look to be 2nd Edition, but it may just be terminology. (I've printed out MRIPE, and again it doesn't match). These aids may just be wrong/variants, I suspect they are fairly old.

Also, MRIPE does not have the commerce table. Looking in MR3.1, it seems that the commerce table is optional, so that explains that. Do people normally play with that rule (once they are experienced).

In general, if I just want to print out and laminate good charts, is it best to do that from MRIPE? I see that office depot (etc) has a feature where I can send them a PDF and they can print/laminate. Is there one set of pages that people suggest?

(MRIPE = Magic Realm in Plain English)
(MR31 = MR31)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Is there one set of pages that people suggest?

Check out Jay Richardson's awesome pdf of all of the charts and table.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22682/quick-reference...

Here are some threads started by Jay about the Optional Rules that might be of interest;

an overview:

Introduction to the 3rd Edition Optional Rules

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/181065/introduction-3rd-...

...and a poll:

Which Optional Rules Do You Like?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1472077/which-optional-r...

I like the Commerce rules and use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the tables were changed between 1st and 2nd editions as well as quite a few rules and I highly recommend using the 2nd edition in all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:
Bankler wrote:
Is there one set of pages that people suggest?

Check out Jay Richardson's awesome pdf of all of the charts and table.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22682/quick-reference...

Thanks! It turns out those Quick References were in my set (laminated) so now I know that they are correct. Very helpful!

Edit -- On closer inspection, I have a slightly older version of the charts, just four pages. Time to print/laminate the new ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Brian Bankler wrote:
On closer inspection, I have a slightly older version of the charts, just four pages. Time to print/laminate the new ones...

Note that the four-page version is still correct and fully usable, but it was developed for my old local gaming group and omitted the stuff that we had memorized (and thus didn't need); it could be considered an expert player's set.

The newer six-page set is much more complete and therefore more useful for beginners and casual players... and, truth be told, even I use it in preference to the old four-page version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
The newer six-page set is much more complete and therefore more useful for beginners and casual players... and, truth be told, even I use it in preference to the old four-page version.

Thanks for both the information and the incredibly useful player aids. If you ever decide to do two more pages, the only information that I can imagine needing (for new spellcasters) would be the colors / clearings on the enchanted hexes.

Edit -- And thanks for the tutorial project, etc. I joke that learning MR is like talmudic study, the rules are only 50 pages but the commentary will kill you. I probably downloaded 1000 pdf pages and it appears you had a hand in most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Brian Bankler wrote:
Thanks for both the information and the incredibly useful player aids.

I'm glad that you are finding them useful.

Brian Bankler wrote:
If you ever decide to do two more pages, the only information that I can imagine needing (for new spellcasters) would be the colors / clearings on the enchanted hexes.

For what it's worth, the Deluxe version of the 3.1 rules includes a reference to all 20 map tiles showing both sides of each one (pages 222-225).

I've never thought of trying to create a listing the enchanted side stuff in some form of a chart... but I'm not sure how useful it would be. When contemplating actions in an enchanted tile one usually needs to see the roadway/tunnel layout as well, so I suspect that tile images would work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough. One final question, in the Book of Learning, you show this nice chart of active/inactive items, and active/fatigued/wounded chits. Is there a player aid for those, or do people just normally put active stuff to the left of their record, inactive/wounded to the right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
One final question, ...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Brian Bankler wrote:
...in the Book of Learning, you show this nice chart of active/inactive items, and active/fatigued/wounded chits. Is there a player aid for those, or do people just normally put active stuff to the left of their record, inactive/wounded to the right?

That chart was a necessity for the Book of Learning, but I don't recall anyone ever making a chart/player mat like that for use in actual games (and a quick glance at the files section here didn't reveal any likely candidates).

We certainly never needed anything like that. We would place our character's card in front of us (image side down) for easy reference. The active chits and inverted color chits would be placed below the card; fatigued chits and inverted wounded chits were placed above the card; active items were placed on top of the card itself; and inactive items were placed beside the card. It worked like a charm.

I will note, however, that every player in our group had their own unique way of sorting their active chits; there was no consensus as to which way was best. In the Book of Learning I sorted the active chits in the same way that I personally do when playing a game, but there are many other ways this can be done and beginners should experiment until they find the method that works best for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
True enough. One final question, in the Book of Learning, you show this nice chart of active/inactive items, and active/fatigued/wounded chits. Is there a player aid for those, or do people just normally put active stuff to the left of their record, inactive/wounded to the right?

See if these files help:
Redesigned Character Cards (complete set)
New Character Record (redesigned Personal History Pad)
A kitchen sink version of Personal History Pad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.