Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game on BSW.
I was thinking about buying it (vs die Säulen der Erde), but I was wondering about the materials:
how good are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game and find the materials really well done...

BSW has done a really good job replecating them.

The boards are nice, can be a bit warped though... although everything is top notch.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah the board does look kind of thin from the photos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Materials are usual good Alea quality. Boards are thick enough for the job and no sign of warping yet. I think this will last as long as my copy of Princes of Florence - quite a few plays yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One mildly annoying thing is that all of my purple cubes are in fact dark blue (but the "trusted friend" and carriage are normal purple, as shown in the rulebook). So dark that in low light they're almost black. Not a big deal, really, not like you'll mistake them for the rats, but...kind of a weird thing to screw up.

Oh, and the tiles do warp a bit already, but they're almost trivially easy to bend back into shape (with no fear of damage, as they're, well, pretty thin and flexible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your version Alea or Rio Grande? Alea ones have a separate pack of purple cubes in the box - added before being shrink-wrapped - to substitute for the wrong coloured blue ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry, should've pointed that out. I have the Rio Grande version.

I must say, the deep blue is rather attractive, but the contrast with the genuinely purple pieces is quite obvious. It won't affect play, though; just an aesthetic issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My tiles were not properly lined up on front and back before punching them. So they do not line up on the back side very well at all. That plus a number of color issues. The red wagon hexes on mine are orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If your gaming room is even a little bit dark, the black cubes and the blue cubes that should be purple are almost indistinguishable. I wish Rio Grande had included some purple cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(RGG version)
My one gripe is about the cards: they feel like they're not plastified at all, and since they're handled a LOT during any one game, I'm afraid they won't last as long as cards from my other alea games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
(RGG version)
My one gripe is about the cards: they feel like they're not plastified at all, and since they're handled a LOT during any one game, I'm afraid they won't last as long as cards from my other alea games.

I recommend Yu-Go-Oh sized clear sleeves. That is what I got for the cards. I think you need 54 sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
(RGG version)

I recommend Yu-Go-Oh sized clear sleeves. That is what I got for the cards. I think you need 54 sleeves.
Yeah, I guess. I just wish I didn't have to do the manufacturer's job of minimally protecting the cards, which is something I find myself doing more and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 100% with the card critique...they are very flimsy, not even standard Tichu card stock, and I imagine they will show heavy wear after only 10 games or so, if that.

I am planning on getting a copy of Notre Dame myself, and having to sleeve the player decks is something I find mildly irksome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
mbmb
Pulled out and punched my RGG copy on the 23rd and found some warped boards - 2 out of 5, pretty disappointing. I also had some big black marks across the box - I thought the marks were on the shrink but after I opened it I realized they were on the box. Everything else was great for me though. Is this worth complaining to RGG about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
waddball wrote:
Oh, sorry, should've pointed that out. I have the Rio Grande version.

I must say, the deep blue is rather attractive, but the contrast with the genuinely purple pieces is quite obvious. It won't affect play, though; just an aesthetic issue.

Funny, I bought my copy in France and it is just the other way around. The cubes are purple but the trusted friend and the carriage are deep blue. Maybe we should trade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls