Subject: Making Wooden Tiles ( for FFG edition) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Rose
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
I decided to make some wooden tiles for my Tigris and Euphrates Fantasy Flight Games edition. I just really do not like the cardboard tiles that come with the game for some reason, but really like the game. I have already replaced the cardboard point tokens with colored wooden cubes and am now moving onto the next phase. I will also share some tips I have learned along the way and post the details.
Tips and Notes
-Use hard maple, this is was recommended as a great choice for game bits and tiles. After making the final pieces I have to agree, it seems strong enough to withstand use, but not too dense as to be a pain to work with. It also seems very resilient against splintering when working with and finishing, something I was concerned about.
-Make the tiles with the faces having edge grain. If the tile faces are end grain they will be more susceptible to breaking.
- Lino printing with calligraphy ink bleeds. Lino printing with acrylic paint does not transfer and cover well. Lino printing seems to fail on something this size when trying to get the desired detail.

Here is what I did:
1. Get a piece of hard maple wood. I got 6/4 thick (1.5" thick) since that was really close to the tile dimensions, but just a bit larger to allow for sanding. The board was 19.0 cm x 93.8 cm. This costs $25 at the local wood shop. This amount of starting wood resulted in about 480 finished tiles, just under enough to have 3 games worth of tiles.
2. Use a sander to get the board to the just a hair larger than a tile from the game. You could probably use a planar but you are not taking much thickness off.
3. Rip the board into strips about 3 times the thickness of a tile from the game. This was done with a 40 tooth blade.
4. Sand both sides of the strips until your desired thickess. My strips ended up being about 1.5 times the thickness of the cardboard tiles and I am really happy with that.
5. Set up a fence of some sort on a table saw that is the width of one of the strips. This will make the cuts the same size as the width to yield a square piece. I cut through about 4 strips at a time and used a 80 tooth blade.
6. Round off corners slightly, this was done in stacks. Followed by a light sanding of the edges, this part seems to take a long time.
7. Use acrylic to make tile designs. I used Montana acrylic markers with a 0.7 mm tip. I needed to wash out the nib with water and soap and dry it about every 5 tiles to prevent the dried out paint from causing flow problems. I highly recommend this. I needed one black pen, one red pen, one empty pen and 25 mL bottle of green and blue acrylic paint.

Some pictures from along the way.
Step 1 size of board (quarter for reference)

Step 4 Sanding the strips

Step 4 All of the completed strips

Step 5 All of the cut tiles, only finishing remains

Step 6 Stack for rounding off the corners by sanding (this stack was on the small side)

Step 7 Finished tile fronts showing the design I used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing! I've always dreamed of a "deluxe" edition of T&E like those fancy chess sets we see on the market. Wooden tiles, metal figures for the leaders, things like that. Well, the game turns 20 next year, just saying whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe gelard
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice nice! I myself remade some wooden temples, i was wondering about the tiles too, and the board. However i wonder indeed, how are going to color the tiles? I was considering drawing buildings and streets on it, the idea being that on the game cities are indeed being built. Food coloring make a surprisingly nice finish... but all this is question marked... i'm curious to hear more from you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rose
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Food coloring might be interesting to try for a nice finish color. I have a set of tiles sanded and ready to go once I figure out how to finish them. I am trying to get in contact with a printing/art person to see if they have any ideas. I am leaning towards lino printing, might be fun to try with food coloring if it does not bleed too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rose
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
I finally added the finished design for the colored side using acrylic paints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.