Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Holder
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched for a clarification about this on this forum and could find nothing specific so forgive me if it is on here and I missed it.

We played our first game of DOW and were wondering if we need to pay food if there's only ONE survivor in the colony. The rule book says to pay 1 food for every TWO survivors but it says "rounded up". Do we round up from one survivor counting one survivor as two survivors?

We played that if there was only one survivor we ignored paying food. We only paid 1 food if there were two or more and rounded up from there - paying two food tokens for three survivors, and 3 tokens for five survivors, etc. However, thematically it seems that even if there's one survivor at the colony they need to eat...so...

Did we do this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
Rounding up is rounding up. I'm not sure why you'd think one survivor would change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either round 1 survivor up to 2, or half a food up to 1, which ever way you want to look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valindor wrote:
I searched for a clarification about this on this forum and could find nothing specific so forgive me if it is on here and I missed it.

We played our first game of DOW and were wondering if we need to pay food if there's only ONE survivor in the colony. The rule book says to pay 1 food for every TWO survivors but it says "rounded up". Do we round up from one survivor counting one survivor as two survivors?

We played that if there was only one survivor we ignored paying food. We only paid 1 food if there were two or more and rounded up from there - paying two food tokens for three survivors, and 3 tokens for five survivors, etc. However, thematically it seems that even if there's one survivor at the colony they need to eat...so...

Did we do this correctly?

Thematically and rulewise wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only kept one survivor at the colony for the entire game, do you think she could survive on nothing the entire time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way.

due to the harsh conditions and dwindling supplies Survivors probably share one can of food between two people. Now when there is only person there or an uneven amount of people then that one can will still get opened and no-one is going to waste food so the whole can gets eaten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.