Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Polania’s Anna & Wojtek - UNBALANCED??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Norton
msg tools
Hey all, so I’ve been enjoying Scythe, but one thing about the balance has really been throwing me off. Specifically, I’m talking about Polania’s Anna & Wojtek.

Has anyone else noticed that A&W are so unbalanced??? I mean, look at Encounters 1-28 from the base set. Of those 28, here’s the breakdown of Encounters featuring the different characters:

Zehra & Kar = one (20)
Gunter & Nacht & Tag = two (22, 24)
Bjorn & Mox = three (7, 8, 10)
Olga & Changa = five (9, 14, 17, 18, 25)
Anna & Wojtek = SEVEN (1, 4, 5, 6, 12, 16, 27)

Seven times? WHAT? I mean, Anna & Wojtek are my favorites, too, but SEVEN times.

Well, of course, expansions should fix this balance issue right? EEEEEE, NOPE, wrong. I got the 29-32 and 33-36 Encounter packs, and check it out:

The dude with the warthog = one (34)
The lady with the monkey = one (33)
Anna & Wojtek = THREE MORE (30, 32, 35)

That means Anna & Wojtek are featured a grand total of TEN (10) times in these Encounters. The other original people aren’t even featured in these two expansion packs.

I guess my question is, will this balance issue be addressed? Will Jamey and Jakub at least apologize? I’m wondering whether it’s even worth keeping the game at this point.

I await the reckoning for this unbalance. In the meantime, I’ll keep you posted on my own “Balanced Art” variant that I’m working on; I’m sure it will be of interest to many.

(P.S. Maybe Kar should have been Zehra's horse and Mox should have been an Arctic fox/rabbit or something and maybe Jakub would have enjoyed drawing them more. Likewise, maybe one of the men should have been a clean-shaven 20-something instead of burly old bearded guys who look like hell. More ideas for variants, I suppose.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Dane I demand equal representation for Bjorn and Mox or I'll go on strike. You hear me, Jamey? I'll go on strike! Strike I say.

And don't get me started on this blantant example of specieism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon in store:
Paste-up stickers for the cards that replace A&W with other characters of your choice. gulp
Those characters are the ones known from the base game, the expansion or, on demand, your favorite characters from the Peanuts TV series, Marvel Superheroes or Star Treck.
All with and equal distribution of course!
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KingOfRohan wrote:

Did you just assumed Akiko's gender ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Anna & Wojtek to be excelently balanced. The miniature has never yet fallen over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
KingOfRohan wrote:

Did you just assumed Akiko's gender ?

Akiko & Jiro (Togawa Shogunate): From an early age, Akiko, the niece of the shogun, read stories of warriors and adventurers in faraway lands. She was especially fascinated by the beauty and art of sword fighting. When she turned 16, Akiko begged her uncle to let her train at the most elite samurai war academy, and he agreed. She was a model student, practicing constantly until she excelled at fighting, shooting, strategy, and tactics. Bursting with pride, the shogun gave Akiko a special trained monkey named Jiro.

As Akiko was entering her second year of training, her brother, a prominent engineer, went missing during a mission to the mysterious Factory in Eastern Europa. The shogun’s advisors suspected that he had been captured by agents of the Rusviet Union. Trusting in his niece’s skills as a samurai, the shogun has empowered Akiko to lead a large military expedition to subvert the Rusviets, recover the Togawa engineers, and discover the truth of the Factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
More Olga and the kitty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aw man I can't joke without getting pwnd by text in the manual which is literally 1 step away from me blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"I guess my question is, will this balance issue be addressed? Will Jamey and Jakub at least apologize? I’m wondering whether it’s even worth keeping the game at this point."

Andy: I can't tell if you're joking or not, but in case you're not, throughout the process of illustrating Scythe, I noticed that Jakub tended to prefer Anna and Wojtek as his subjects of choice on the encounter cards. The tendency is understandable--his 1920+ world started out as just being about Polania and Rusviet, and he's Polish, so it's natural that he spent more time on Anna/Wojtek than the others.

But to his credit, when I urged him to include the other characters in the illustrations, and he did.

Also, you might be missing a few illustrations. For example, I'm positive that Zehra and Kar are in at least three illustrations (scene on the beach [15], scene with a treehouse [20], and scene at a festival [13]). They're not prominently featured in a few of those illustrations, but they're there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Norton
msg tools
Yeah, I'm absolutely joking. Thank you all for creating a wonderful game. The attention to detail is truly phenomenal.

Thanks in particular to Morten for the Automa: like him, I'm a dad and many of my friends are dads, so solo gaming is where it's at, fitting in an hour after my daughter's in bed. And a very deep thank you to Jakub for art that makes me wonder and imagine like a kid again. But thank you, Jamey, for making it all happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it coherent.
Anna and Wojtek are wanderers by nature (Meander ability), so it stands to reason that they are seen around the countryside more often than the others. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played, sir. I read the clickbait title...shake "oh here we go again..." Then I read the actual post... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Andy: I can't tell if you're joking or not, ...

Sheldon?

Actually, I think there is a pretty good explanation for having Anna & Wojtek feature so prominently on the encounter cards. They are the beloved of the people! They have a special ability (two actually, if you include one of the mech specials), which ties directly into this.

So, the people like to be depicted with them more than with the others.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wagner
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
claudermilk wrote:
Well played, sir. I read the clickbait title...shake "oh here we go again..." Then I read the actual post... laugh

My thoughts exactly - I got a good chuckle out of this! Thanks!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.