7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Some controversy on Pantheon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
Finland
flag msg tools

Hi fellas,

I just played my first round of 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon. The mechanics were fine and I really enjoyed the gameplay. For example, with Ra on your side you can just lift your opponent's wonder and take it to your city.

However, I found some points of controversy. First of all, the rulebook could have been written better. There are some problems with the grammar in the English rules. For example, in the FAQ section the sentence "No, thid construction is not a considered has chain" doesn't make any sense.
What's more, when reading the setups for the Age I and II, I was wondering why the divinity cards were in their slots in the beginning of the Age II. Later I found out that divinity cards are placed in their slots during the Age I, but it would have been better if the movement was explained shortly in the setup section.

The next topic is the size of the divinity cards (61 x 112 mm). This size is very rare and hard to find, so I wished the publisher would have chosen a much more common size for the divinities.

The insert of the game caught my attention, too. When I opened the base game and sleeved the cards I was happily surprised: the components fit perfectly, even the cards with sleeves on. This was revolutionary! However, when I unboxed Pantheon I found out that the sleeved cards didn't fit in which was a big dissappointment.

I would also like to critize the price of the game. I paid 26 euros for the base game and 24 euros for the Pantheon. Since Pantheon has a lot fever components than the base game, why the prices are almost equal?

Pantheon is a great expansion for the 7 Wonders Duel and I'm definetely keeping it in my collection. However, the production of this game could have been done better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Would I have liked a wider box to hold everything? Yes.
More common card size? Yes.

However, at least he uncommon cards size still has sleeves available. And few companies have inserts that fit sleeved products. Oink Games for example, NONE of their games fit back sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Moutel
msg tools
mbmbmb
For what's it's worth in France I paid 22.50 EUR for the base game & 14.50 EUR for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are y'all having any problems with the cards falling apart? I have only played the expansion once and the smaller cards are falling apart and what I mean by that is they are splitting into two separate pieces like the glue isn't holding or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I also have the small purple cards falling apart. Thinking about contacting Repos about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Kuusinen
msg tools
I just got my English copy 2 days ago. I too can attest to relatively poor quality of at least some of the components.

But first, regarding price, for me the expansion was approximately two thirds of the base game. I only recently saw it at that price, though (not at a discount), and earlier I have seen it at almost the same price as the base game which I think is in part due to it being newer. Okay,

My base game is a Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish language print, but the only text-involving components, cards, are in English. Only the manuals are translated, so I will judge on the basis that my base game should be totally compatible.

1) the box and insert

This might be a newer print, because sleeved cards actually fit for me! Actually, the Grand Remple cards do, but not the 2 new Wonder cards. I am still waiting on sleeves for the Divinity cards, but I think there is some room both width- and height-wise.

I have some more gripes, too. The lid is a couple of millimeters lower than the box, so it doesn't shut as nicely as I'd like. Adding to this, the plastic insert reaches just about to the very brim of the cardboard, so the manual bloats the package even further. The insert slots for the Snake token and 3 Offering tokens feel redundant and a designer's afterthought, as their thinness just causes them to plop out anyway when shaked a little. At least I don't need to utilise the slots as the tokens fit in the bottom tray as well.

2) The manual

I read the thing through and I did not notice any typos or immediately apparent goofs, except on the FAQ page, on a number of lines, including the opening post's example. (Although it was slightly different: "No, this construction is not a considered has chain.") A FAQ should not raise even more questions.

I will refrain from commenting on the overall clarity and layout of the manual, as that is something that becomes apparent in practice. I have not played the expansion yet.

3) Component quality

The cardboard tokens punched out without effort and without tear, and the backs of the Progress tokens match those of my base game. The Pantheon is a nice, snug fit around the base board, and the folding point doesn't form a "tent" and is flat when set.

The cards... Oh, the cards. I sleeved my Wonder and Grand Temple cards as soon as I had them in my hands, but the opening post got me curious. I took a Grand Temple card out of it's sleeve and gently fiddled the front side of a corner, and the surface ripped. I tried a new Wonder, the Door and some base game cards for good measure, but those did not rip. Granted, that is a very small sample and doesn't amount to reliable statistics, but the frailty surprised me nevertheless.

Why 61x112mm Divinity card size? Did they resort to it because the 65x100mm Wonder card size would have had too much width on the Pantheon board? Even if that were the case, there are in existence similar, more common sizes. Or, alternatively, they could have made the outermost 2 Divinities reach out further into the sides of the base board, and make the 65x100mm size work. I am not a professional designer and there probably are some constricting factors related to printing, but I am trying to apply my own sense of logic here and can't see these alternatives as something impractical to do.

The two new Wonder cards might have slight pigment difference when compared to the originals, but shuffling under the table is already something I do with the age III cards, so it's not really a problem.

Finally, the Minerva token feels solid and good. The military token, I feel, is the weakest component of the base game as it feels (and probably is) hollow and thus feels uncanny and lighter than it should be. Props for the Minerva token, really.

Summary

The majority of problems present have no impact on gameplay, and those that do are fixable with sleeves, although I wish you good luck on obtaining 61x112mm sized ones, dear reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billiamsterx wrote:
I wish you good luck on obtaining 61x112mm sized ones, dear reader.

It's as easy as ebay. They are all over ebay. Not hard to find at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy ZJ
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Srdj wrote:

Where on Ebay? I have not been able to find any. Unless you are referring to the Mayday ones, those are too narrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Kuusinen
msg tools
rubberbands wrote:
Srdj wrote:

Where on Ebay? I have not been able to find any. Unless you are referring to the Mayday ones, those are too narrow.

@Srdj:
Indeed. I suppose I should have been more specific originally. What I intended was "Good luck finding sleeves of that size at an affordable price with affordable shipping (and customs et cetera), dear reader."

@Jeremy ZJ:
Thanks, your post reminded me to check how my game is faring. I managed to get a pack of Mayday Premium 61x112mm sleeves early february. I have not had a chance to play the expansion since then, so the Divinity cards have been sleeved and untouched for somewhere between a month or a month and a half. They were a snug fit then, and now upon checking them again I can say that the cards are a wee bit curved. One of them a bit more than the rest. I will un-sleeve them, I think. At least there is no surface damage, so hopefully a weight will straighten them. Starting with The Door is and would have been probably a good idea in case things go south, as it is not shuffled.

[EDIT] I had made a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.