Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost convinced I want to buy this game.zombie

Now if I buy this I'll obviously want to paint this.
On internet I saw there is a special paint set especially for this game for sale and now I wonder if any of you are familiar with it and think this is a good buy.

If not....

Also buying this game I figured I might get some extra stuff aswell.

I'm not sure if I should go with any of the extra hero sets, I was thinking more along the line of extra zombies.

Also wondering if I should get more terrain tiles, so you'll have an even larger playing area?

Would appreciate any advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
The paints you get in that set is good enough quality wise but it's not nearly enough colours to get your set painted.

Extra zombies will solve some extra spawning when the supply of a certain type zombie runs out.

The extra tiles you only need if you want to create more scenarios for yourself.

The extra heroes just created more replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

I'm guessing from the word 'obviously' that you already paint minis - if that is so, you might not need a new paint set, as the paints you have might do the job?

The extra terrain tiles aren't necessary, but you might want the first hero set to increase your choices. (And heroes are more fun to paint than endless zombies!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Collins
France
Boisset les Montrond
Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint wise, I got the army painter zombicide blague plague box (came with a green primer and an extra bloodred I think). It's a nice start. I bought an extra white (because most of the colors are quite dark, and had nothing apart from pink flesh to lighten them up if needed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
sagitar wrote:

I'm guessing from the word 'obviously' that you already paint minis - if that is so, you might not need a new paint set, as the paints you have might do the job?

The extra terrain tiles aren't necessary, but you might want the first hero set to increase your choices. (And heroes are more fun to paint than endless zombies!)

No I have not, but too me it was Obvious that I would enjoy the figures more when painted, maybe I should have explained.

So as one who wait for the game to come available in his local shop, what heroes should I want to make the game more fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a set called Hero set 1 (I think) and it has 5 survivors in it. They would make a good addition to the group. I would then play with them a while before deciding what else you might need.

(And I agree, they are more fun painted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephanie/Peter,

I can get over enthusiastic when buying a new game and buy stuff I probably won't need for a long time.

So hero pack 1, which ads 5 heroes to the game.
But will you be able to play with them? I assume you can only have a limited number of heroes, depending on number of players so, won't they simply be surplus untill you get bored with what you've got?

Or are heroes/survivors not the same as your characters?
Clearly I'm still unfamiliar with the game.

I was thinking of the extra game tiles cause I feared the play area might get congested if you buy more figures.

And I was very tempted by the 3D doors, but the price is a bit off putting and even my sales person told me I don't need them.

As they sell a d6 set aswell, I assume the one that come with the game don't look very good or are these just extra?

I rather fancy the Murder of Crowz, looks fun.
But there allready seem load of extra sets available.

Dead Eye Walkers
Notorious plague characters 1 & 2
Abomination, one sounds more gruesome than the next.

And what would you need a plastic token set for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes, survivors and characters all mean the same thing. Having 11 to choose from is good - playing with the same six all the time is okay, but you will want some variety.

There aren't any scenarios with duplicates of any of the boards, so buying additional boards will only be any good if you are making up your own.

I personally love the 3d doors - you get plenty for you money, and it's harder to see the little square door markers that come with the set on a crowded board (they can also get knocked to the wrong place).

You don't need a plastic token set.

I would buy small to start with, and discover what you like best about the game as you go. If you really get into it, possibly Wolfsburg (with 4 new heroes) would be a good choice.

Stuff like crows and deadeye walkers, not to mention the Abomination pack, make the game a little harder, so you would add those to your collection if you like a bit more challenge. We have them, but we don't put them all in at once - playing with a different set of challenges each game keeps it fresh for longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Really find you advise helpfull and appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as paints go, its pretty much pesonal preferance. I recommend getting a full set, most of the major paint brands offer them, and it is the least expensive way of getting a good collection started. Then you need to start investing in brushes, a good brush can make all the difference, especially if you take care of it!

As far as the game itself goes, I strongly recommend it! We've been playing it pretty much once a week since I got it in January. It has a ton of replayability!

As far as the expansions go, I'd recommend getting Wulfsburg, it has four new heros, a new enemy type (wulfs) and four new dash boards, allowing you to have up to 10 heros on the board at one time, which can be chaotic, but fun! The hero box 1 has two more dash boards and 5 new heros (when it comes to heros, the more the merrier, variety will keep things fresh). The other hero boxes all have something different to offer, but they are also a bit meh, so again, personal preferance will prevail there. The zombie bosses box, is a must have in my opinion, they are all quite different and offer new challanges. The dead eye walkers and the crows are both a lot of fun as well, they can be game changers! The NPC's are interesting, and they have extra vault weapon cards in them!

Overall, if you like co-op, light dungeon crawlers, this will fit the bill and then some!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, silly me, it's coop.

Hadn't even realised that, just wanted a fun adventure game to enjoy with the kids.

But that's HUGE bonus as it means I don't have to worry about any language problems.

So I'll leave the sets with the 'meh' laugh figures.

What do you mean by, the full set of paints.
Does this refer to the special set available especially for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The brand that makes the Zombicide paint sets is called Army Painter. While some people seem to like this brand, where I live it is as expensive as the more premium brands (Vallejo, Citadel, etc.) so I tend not to go with them. Army painter (and many other brands) offer a full set of paints normally 50 or more, and as a set are less expensive than picking them up one or two at a time (it may be different where you live). The advantage of getting a full set, other than cost, is variety. Overall your paints will last longer as you won't have to blend as many of them together. There will still be certain colours that you will use more of regardless. You should also get a couple of good primers. Primers act as your base coat and paint sticks much better to primer than plastic. I normally recommend getting white, grey, and black primers. The colour that you put over top is affected by the base tone, if you are going for a darker tone, use grey or black, for example. There are so many things to learn about mini painting, that I would never be able to cover it all, but I strongly recommend checking out youtube as there are many fantastic tutorials, some from Army Painter themselves, and my personaly favourite Sorastro! I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
Here some basic advice aimed at the beginner, based on my experiance and observations.
My son only recently began mini gaming. I have been sucked in having not touched paint and brush for 3 decades.
1) first tools-
i) when you are starting out decent hobby brushes (citadel sable / army painter synthetic basic ). are good enough, as you you learn the basics you will end up treating them poorly, you will feel far better ruining them, than a quality named brand, which can you move up two when you have learnt the basics.
ii) Paints. loads of brands have been thrown around, what I would suggests for a beginner citadel paints. Games workshop have decades experiance in creating paints for use by people with perhaps little experiance and for them to get decent results. They use a simple system of basecoat , wash, layer/ highlight, giving really decent table top results . Their basecoats were a real surprise, going on easily, evenly and with no brushstrokes visible very differnt for my memory of paints from my youth. Army painter has also been mentioned they are also good, and significantly cheaper than GW , coming in bigger pots. But the paints can be less newbie friendly, being to a great extent clones for GW previous range, There big plus are their range of colour matched primer/ base paints , which not only save time, but give a pretty good coat. Poor mans airbrush as it were.
BUT they have one big failing esp for a beginner, there primers work by chemically bonding with the plastic and the normal paint stripping methods may not work effectivly. Why may you want to strip your model?
First you you screw up to start again.
Secondly You may what to revist the models to improve the paint jobs. As you start you will see a steep rise in painting ability. I am amazed the difference between my sons first models and what he is producing now, after just 6 months and you can actually place his models in order of completion.
iii) protecting the paintwork- use a spray or brush on varnish or dip. I generally use a matt varnish (army painter) , but also use satin and gloss for differnt effects. Beware sprays cant be temp and humidity senistive, so you need to pick your days, or end up with poor results. I winter prob bettr to stick with brush on stuff.
2) technique - Plenty of tips around but practice them before using them on models you value. My son used monsters to practice basic paintwork. He used models in a GW painter starter set practice painting armour and clothing, before moving on to models he intended to play with
For the basics of paintwork GW do great basic videos for beginners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MOmj-D9uo&list=PLEaPE4sLDA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vMyAk6Lf0&list=PLEaPE4sLDA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQsiv41Enw&index=50&list=PL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bDoIMCSfk&list=PLEaPE4sLDA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0m5ol6P2w&index=53&list=PL...

In closing I am not a GW fanboy but for a beginner GW will allow a beginner to achieve good results. If the bug to paint bites then, then try out other brands, see if you like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
I realise the advice in the previous post was a bit general. For getting stuck into painting the zombiecide figures I rec you start with the zombies , These will let you get used to painting before trying yo take on the heroes. try viweing these videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ&t=1523s&index=1&...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ&t=1523s&index=1&...

I used bits of both, but to a great extent followed Sorastro's Painting guide, because it a simple way to provide variety , as well as a durable solution with the use of the dip method, As for other expansions heros 1 yes and them which guest sets interest.
A final word on which paints. I do not suggest a mega set of paints,Yest it works out cheaper per pot, but you may not get on with the brand, or never use. Smaller sets gerally better. AS for the army painter black plague set , this set is not enough and army painter expect you to buy some of the other zombiecide paint sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So seems like Sorastos advise to not bother with the pre prepared sets, but simply find the paints you want was spot on.

As a beginner the cost of paints can be a bit of a hurdle, cause you don't simply go buy green, blue etc.

No there goblin green, dark ork green, mystic mist green {just made that up but you get the point.
So it can be bit of a puzzel when you've just spend 90 euros on a game and now are looking at doubling that amount in paints...

I reckon things get much easier when you've bought paint allready and rather than buy new stuff know which ones in your supply will also get the desired effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd like to point out, is that painting is an expensive hobby, however, properly cared for, the paints can last for quite a long time, and will be able to cover many many miniatures. Going by my own personal experience, I had started with Citadel paints, some 25+ years ago, they had sets with 8 or 10 paints in them, and over a period of a couple months I had purchased them all. This is why I recommend getting the mega set. The fact that you are interested in painting them at all, should hint to you, your level of intrest. As I needed to replace the paints I started experimenting with different brands, less expensive options, same cost but different brands, etc. Until I found a line of paints that were be suited to my style. While Citadel paints are good, I find them inherintly wasteful, as the "pot" design means that you often take more paint than you need. I prefer the dropper style, if you are doing a small area, or adding hilighting you can litterally use one drop should you choose. The pot style paints are also more subject to drying out as sometimes the lids get clogged with paint and don't seal properly. At the end of the day, its up to you, your budget, and your intrest level, how much you spend on paints. Try a variety and see what you think, at the worst, if you find its something that you aren't intersted in, you can always sell them off and recoup some of your money. Biggest tip, have fun! Thats what its all about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.