GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,458 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Conan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Overlord strategy for In the Heart of Darkness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do any of the experienced Overlords have any good tips and strategy for playing the scenario In the Heart of Darkness?

With only 5 gems at the start it will be difficult to keep the blocking demon alive. And freeing a new Monster can only be done by activating the Event tile.So that also cost a lot of gems.

Tactical use of the archers and hyenas will be key in winning this scenario.

Any tips are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the story and use Kel!

Seriously though, your only concern is to run out the clock, so the snake (with block) is a useful first monster.
Use the Dark Demon (and then snake) to block Conan and then plough gems into keeping them alive.

The archers and hyenas are useful when they are low gem cost to plink a few wounds of weaker heros.

Run Skuthus towards Kel if you need to move him because there is no door to the courtyard in that tower.

And, if you get a chance, activate Kel and beat Conan to death with him because its fun (unless your group is like mine where Belit throws the knife to Conan who catches it and then 1-shots Kel with a 5 gem melee attack... there was much salt that day cry )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the heroes have an extremely high chance of killing Skuthus before the Overlord even gets a turn.

Conan climbs the rock slide he starts adjacent to and then onto the wall. He spends 1 gem to drop down into the courtyard, probably losing that gem to the falling damage. Then he spends 3 more gems to move onto Skuthus and attacks him 4 times with a red and rerollable orange each attack. Shevetas runs straight through the demon to join Conan and do the same.

I frankly consider this and Hunting the Tigress to be entirely broken as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan wrote:
So, the heroes have an extremely high chance of killing Skuthus before the Overlord even gets a turn.

Conan climbs the rock slide he starts adjacent to and then onto the wall. He spends 1 gem to drop down into the courtyard, probably losing that gem to the falling damage. Then he spends 3 more gems to move onto Skuthus and attacks him 4 times with a red and rerollable orange each attack. Shevetas runs straight through the demon to join Conan and do the same.

I frankly consider this and Hunting the Tigress to be entirely broken as written.

Skuthus has the Protected skill, so as long as there are other units around him, like the Archers, he can't be targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The archers don't start in the same zone as him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rydiafan wrote:

Indeed.So this scenario has the same 'mistake' as Hunting the Tigress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
(unless your group is like mine where Belit throws the knife to Conan who catches it and then 1-shots Kel with a 5 gem melee attack... there was much salt that day :cry: )

Pict scenario.
Conan vs the snake.
A 14 point attack roll.
Snake sashimi.
Oh yeah, baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain MOYA
France
EVRY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, we played In the Heart of Darkness with one player more than written in the scenario. So I applied CardboardAnt's excellent system (see https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1679802/comments-how-use-yo...) : Increase total Overlord gems by 2, Increase Overlord gem recovery by 2, Move 2 extra gems into each hero fatigue box at scenario start, Increase Skuthus’ wounds by 2.
The extra Hero was Pelias with Teleportation, Halo of Mitra and Necromancy (or whatever the name of the spell that allows a spellcaster to invoke Skeletons and Mummies really is).
It was really great ! Since we Heroes had so few gems in the beginning, everyone went into pause mode. And so the Blocking Demon had the initiative, and everyone (except Shevatas and the frail Belit) was stuck in his spot.
Jinx was a real game changer, being used by Pelias and Black Demon alike. By the time we finally put the Demon down, Giant Snake and Khosatral Kel were awake, with Skuthus safely hidden in Kel's arms...
The Overlord nearly won until a last turn victory, thanks to Conan who had just finished Khosatral Kel off !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentdonald wrote:
rydiafan wrote:

Indeed.So this scenario has the same 'mistake' as Hunting the Tigress.

It would be nice to see some errata from Monolith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lynch
msg tools
mb
Well, no one went for the first round kill, though it was possible, but they've been bit....

The third go round with this was epic.

Question - when a guard sacrifices at Belit's order to deal with Khel's attack on Conan - he takes just one point of damage because Cleave goes through him, I guess, and his armor doesn't absorb anything?

I don't think this was crucial, but Conan was extremely beat up by this time, so one point of damage could have mattered if other things, like not having the snake die, had gone otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two things in this scenario confuse us.

1. Statement for the event tile "The Overlord cannot free a monster if there are 2 faceup monster tiles in the river (including the Dark Demon)"

Does this mean two of my character groups have to have been killed off before I can un petrify the other characters?

2. The protected ability which reads "This character can be attacked only with area attacks if there is a friendly character without protected in their area."

We're not sure what this means. Can someone clarify?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:

1. Statement for the event tile "The Overlord cannot free a monster if there are 2 faceup monster tiles in the river (including the Dark Demon)"

Does this mean two of my character groups have to have been killed off before I can un petrify the other characters?

2. The protected ability which reads "This character can be attacked only with area attacks if there is a friendly character without protected in their area."

We're not sure what this means. Can someone clarify?

Thanks.

1. Yes, that is correct.

2. If a character with the protected skill is in an area with a friendly character then he/she cannot be attacked by a melee attack or spell that targets him/her directly unless that other character also has protected; however an area attack will cause damage to everyone irrespective of whether they have protected or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
tommatty wrote:

Thanks.

Two of the "Monster" tiles, yes. So the Dark Demon and any monsters you've un-petrified. The other tiles don't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.