Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois Gerner
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

Obviously the big issue of this game is the length

I just played with an Axis player who litterally took 1 hour per faction to play !!! Our first turn took 4 hours
Thankfully he attacked the US in turn 1 with Japan, but I was so frustrated that in my second turn I smashed my US fleet in the pacific on Pearl Harbor... Thus forfeiting after 6 hours of essentially waiting for him to play !

So, I was wondering, what's your approach on time management in A&A Global?
Do you have have some sort of rule to speed things up?

I was thinking :
- 3 minutes to announce mobilization
- 3 minutes to announce all combat moves
- 3 minutes to announce all non combat moves
- 1 IP fined for every complementary minute
That way we could hope to play a turn in ~1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Reece
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
I think chess clocks are the way to go. Give each side say 30 minutes each turn, and if you do it fast enough you get to save your leftover time for later rounds. If someone runs out of time they just build infantry and collect income.

Edit:
Actually you might need to give the allies a little more time, since there are several more nations on the allied side. Say 40 minutes for the allies.

And of course combats don't count against either sides time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I usually have my turn prepared somewhat at least knowing what I am going to purchase. I agree that there is a need for a timer because the game goes on for ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play we set time limits per country....minor countries less time than majors....every minute past the time limit is a one IPC penalty. During the game each Side is allowed two time outs....and we usually set a 1/2 hour meal break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Gerner
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I'd rather play with a time limit per country rather than per player. Easier to keep track of.

@ Dan Long : what time budget do you use exactly for minor and major countries ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically how you outline it at the beginning of this thread- roughly 10 minutes for majors, half that for minors. We expect players to have selected their 'build' by the time the turn gets to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Gerner
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Got it, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:
Basically how you outline it at the beginning of this thread- roughly 10 minutes for majors, half that for minors. We expect players to have selected their 'build' by the time the turn gets to them.

Even accounting for an opponent's surprise causing one to change one's mind about purchases, STILL the bulk of the idea of what to purchased should be completed within a player's head before the turn gets to him.

I encourage scratch paper. Liberally write notes to self, because even if you'll have it all figured out when it actually gets to you then you realize you were a dollar short for example, and then because you couldn't get that one widget that you planned on getting, it throws out your plan/need to get three of those dumaflickers....next thing you know it's as if you didn't even bother to pre-figure it out before your turn anyway.

Scratch paper and frequent notes-to-self plus 'measure twice, cut once' philosophy rules here (meaning, check your math twice so when it comes time to pull the purchasing trigger it works out. Quickly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.