United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Am interested in this title and would be buying the new jazzed up latest edition if I finally pull the trigger. I have played Air Bridge to Victory, (which I enjoyed) but only tried the smaller scenarios.

Looking at the ratings and comments there are a lot of people who have rated this 6 or less. Overall a minority, but a significant one.

However there are only a couple of comments about why they didn't like it - particularly among the very low ratings. I understand that if you dislike a game you might not feel particularly incentivised to write an explanation but I'm hoping this post might encourage this silent minority to become a bit more vocal about their reasons for disliking it.

On the flipside this game reached it's P500 fairly quickly and initial reactions seem quite positive.

I'm not buying on the basis of a popularity contest. I'm familiar with the amount of wristage involved (one criticism of ABtV) and the fact that it has a CRT is, for me, not a negative (not sure when that became a reason not to buy wargames but anyway).

So, as my partner says, was there something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My only comment would be that those ratings/comments are for the original game. While the anniversary editions shares some of the same mechanics, there has been an extreme makeover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the original, but it seemed interesting so I ordered the 2nd edition and look forward to trying it, but would also be interested in comments from low raters (on every game actually)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The 25th Anniversary Edition is a beautiful game. It's a pleasure just to look at the map, and all the pieces are high quality.

I play games solo 99% of the time. That is the ONLY reason I would rate this game as below average. I can imagine that playing it with another person would be great. The campaign scenarios are so dependent on hidden movement that you really can't play solo using the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
The 25th Anniversary Edition is a beautiful game. It's a pleasure just to look at the map, and all the pieces are high quality.

I play games solo 99% of the time. That is the ONLY reason I would rate this game as below average. I can imagine that playing it with another person would be great. The campaign scenarios are so dependent on hidden movement that you really can't play solo using the official rules.

I believe GMT still allows/Supports VASSAL play which can be played PBEM or in real time. Modeling hidden movement is tough (for me) but there are some great module builders out there so I bet they can do it, I heard good things about the Going Downtown game module which has hidden air movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb
lucky henry wrote:

Worth knowing as I suspect my regular ftf opponent might be reluctant to play this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
lucky henry wrote:

I believe GMT still allows/Supports VASSAL play which can be played PBEM or in real time. Modeling hidden movement is tough (for me) but there are some great module builders out there so I bet they can do it, I heard good things about the Going Downtown game module which has hidden air movement.

I appreciate the comment and advice. Looking at a computer screen at VASSAL or any of the other similar programs just doesn't hold the same magic as being hunched over a table with a map and all of those cardboard chits! I realize that's my own bias, but that's the way it is.

I still long for the day when someone makes a new game like Ambush! or Battle Hymn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it, however, you can use your physical map and game pieces while playing it on the PC which I did years ago during a Sink the Bismarck game.

For a game with a lot of pieces on the map moving each turn, it's a real pain for sure. For this game (the Russian campaign would be hard I think), going on memory, quite manageable I would think.

That being said, I need to get this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal is also next to impossible to play on a Mac now since OS Sierra which has completely stripped Java away and hidden global 3rd Party Download compatibility overrides without adding a line of OS code.

Playing via Vassal can still be done but it's a real headache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
Vassal is also next to impossible to play on a Mac now since OS Sierra which has completely stripped Java away and hidden global 3rd Party Download compatibility overrides without adding a line of OS code.

I have an old mac I am thinking of upgrading. I am on the fence about getting a PC but I think this may have moved me over the edge. For the 1/2 the money, I can buy a decent PC and a new Ipad. I have not heard of this issue which is too bad. Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:

I still long for the day when someone makes a new game like Ambush! or Battle Hymn....

Add Tokyo Express and Carrier to that list.

Some board games now have apps that run an extra player, provide an AI opponent, and help track the game in some way. You still play on the physical board but the app helps you play it. The games you mentioned would be perfect for this. An AI player for this game might be a bit tough but they have a solo game for ASL so I bet someone could do one for this game. No clue on the economics of it all but many people play solitaire so I am sure it helps to sell games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have Sierra and it just promoted me to download Java and I have no issues running Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Adam Parker wrote:

I have an old mac I am thinking of upgrading. I am on the fence about getting a PC but I think this may have moved me over the edge. For the 1/2 the money, I can buy a decent PC and a new Ipad. I have not heard of this issue which is too bad. Thanks for posting!

Yes if I had the room and resources I’d definitely keep my Mac for work but I’d buy a power PC for gaming. Just the range in general of computer wargames alone staggers vs. Mac.

As someone just posted, you can still right click and “open” the Vassal Install as a 3rd party app *. You then do have to manually install Java too. It’s just that Apple no longer feels its infrastructure is safe with it and I don’t have the inclination to call them out on it! I miss OSX Mountain Lion cry

(* You now need to add a line of code to make a default toggle visible to select for all apps in settings.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.