Subject: Exploring games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm trying to think of a good game for my very competant board game playing eight year old boy.

His ideal game would be a Pikmin game - about exploring and solving problems. Possibily cooperative, and possibly about managing resources.

He'll happily play almost anything by himself, so solo is quite possible for him.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Exploring - Yes

Solving problems - Absolutely, one being a 10-minute real-time countdown

Cooperative - Yes

Managing resources - Well, kind of, but probably in different ways than you think of (dice, time, jewels)

Solo possible - Yes

Never played it, but based on my (brief) first impression, Dead Men Tell No Tales might also be really interesting to check out.

While Flash Point: Fire Rescue has fixed maps, there is still an element of exploration in terms of finding out where people inside the building are.

Hope this was of help or at least inspirational in some direction, good luck with your research and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Eby
msg tools
mb
I think Escape and Flash Point Fire Rescue would both fit that bill as well. Pandemic is also a good cooperative problem solving game that can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, interesting suggestions. Pandemic is a favourite already. We've tried Escape, like you I thought it was a certain hit, but the real time element was too panic inducing! The fear of being trapped in a collapsing building was too much and we had to abandon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would he be okay with Archipelago , it has a little bit of all your requirements.

I did play Centauri Saga with two boys aged 9 and 12 year that my missus looks after. They really enjoyed the game but it was unfinished after one hours play when the parents picked them up.

EDIT. It was the fix the jump gate scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Maybe Tikal? It's about exploring a jungle, finding treasure, and uncovering temples. I personally find that it's a bit like a competitive Pandemic, in that you have a certain number of action points per turn to accomplish different tasks, but you're competing with others. The rules are family-friendly, and if he can handle Pandemic I don't think he'd have problems with Tikal. No solo option that I know of, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.