Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I have avoided choosing Black Widow and Hawkeye when I have the chance as I have learnt they spoilt the game for me, deciding to choose other heroes which may not "win" me the game.

Today after Mr Fantastic won the game single handily I'm considering adding him to the list. Hercules is also a possibility, but I need to play a few more games with him first.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceman, after generating 30 Attack in one turn.. cool
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Ice man, here are some more:

Jean Grey
Black Widow
Ultimate Spider-man
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
None as of now. With all the different heroes/heroines they appear seldomly enough to make it a fresh breeze. If I had some though, I wouldhave to say Black Widow. She is the only real problem heroine because all of her cards (save her rare) are ridiculous and autopicks compared to 90%+ of the other cards of the same costs no matter what the rest of your deck looks like. But then again, the BW games happens rarely enough so that it doesn't make multiplayer games feel stale, and sp that the free win feels good in solo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lake Alexander
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Personally I am a big believer that every hero has the capacity to be OP. As long as you build your deck right and can KO what you need(Perfect scenario). However on two accounts now I have generated 36 and 42 attack using nothing but daredevil(A) rare. But I think this question varies with how many people you play with.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Assuming we're talking solo play only -

Having 30 attack isn't even close to the broken stuff. Widow can reach way above that if using all existing bystander cards.

And Villains have a couple of major infinite loops.




I don't think that Hawkeye is that big of a deal to be honest. You gave the example of Mr.Fantastic. I don't think he is really all that bad. Every hero can generate massive combos with itself. That way he is always useful in a game. Hawkeye doesn't come close to being all that broken.


If we're talking straight up victory - not points by bystanders and such

I would say any of the following have massive attack potential all by themselves without taking other heroes:

Black Widow
Star-Lord
Drax
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultron
Skadi
Forge - defeats mastermind for free
Domino - *IF* you are using Sidekicks\New Recruits
Ironfist
Daredevil - If you are lucky\know your numbers
Bullseye
Angel - If using Madame Hydra
Green Goblin
Ice-man
Captain Marvel
Kingpin
Mr. Fantastic
Jean Grey

If Time isn't a factor, and heroes that, for example, take either a while to build up or they don't have a lot of recruit cards so you'll need to use basic shields only until you get things running:

Iron-Man
Wolverine
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
SthrnWaterTribe wrote:
Personally I am a big believer that every hero has the capacity to be OP. As long as you build your deck right and can KO what you need(Perfect scenario). However on two accounts now I have generated 36 and 42 attack using nothing but daredevil(A) rare. But I think this question varies with how many people you play with.


I agree with this. I recently used Forge's rare ability to knock out a mastermind tactic and still had 20+ attack at my disposal.

I also recently got my rare Hercules over 40 attack by himself.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmm, I hadn't thought about the question of whether a Hero was 'broken' or not, maybe that is a real question to ask.
If there is any, then As xLVNx says, I would agree it might be Black Widow, and maybe that is the reason she is so popular. Imagine Black Widow, Hercules, Rogue, Invisible Woman + , in one hero deck, it might be possible to reach over one hundred attack in one hand and if playing solo with a reduced deck maybe ever hand! Is that fun?
I am curious though on a more personal level, if given a choice which heroes people avoid choosing, not because they are mediocre at best but because they win the game.
Hawkeye for example, he isn't so powerful, but I know that he can win me the game if I play my hand right if I recruit him only and the other cards are left on the table. So I avoid picking him for the hero deck in the first place, I choose other heroes hoping to find great unexpected combos with other cards.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any of the heroes are that OP honestly. For sure some are better than others, but I would think that the biggest swings are the group of heroes that you choose for the HQ. The spider-friends cards might not look OP, but I've used nothing but them and have generated 100+ attack in a single turn. Things are also substantially easier if you're playing solo rather than with other players. I don't leave anyone out of the pool though. It might be fun sometimes to crush the villain, and then more fun other times to struggle. I think that's what makes Legendary great, is the variety that we have available. By the end of any game if I'm not able to make 20+ attack in a single turn, I'd be a bit disappointed in myself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
I don't think any of the heroes are that OP honestly. For sure some are better than others, but I would think that the biggest swings are the group of heroes that you choose for the HQ. The spider-friends cards might not look OP, but I've used nothing but them and have generated 100+ attack in a single turn. Things are also substantially easier if you're playing solo rather than with other players. I don't leave anyone out of the pool though. It might be fun sometimes to crush the villain, and then more fun other times to struggle. I think that's what makes Legendary great, is the variety that we have available. By the end of any game if I'm not able to make 20+ attack in a single turn, I'd be a bit disappointed in myself.


First, I naturally assumed the op was talking about solo play only. In non-solo, no hero is really op since you're not guaranteed to get all of their cards as other players will block you.


Second, sure, in some cases a combo of heroes is better than a single one. For example, Rogue can't really do much by herself by when you combo her with other heroes things go nuts as you basically have multiple copies of their rare card.

Basically the question is, which heroes when played solely by themselves without dabbling into any other hero can go nuts.

Storm, for instance, isn't bad and she makes some schemes easier if they are location dependent. But she can't generate insane attack values.

Black Widow on the other hand can empty out the bystander and wipe out the entire city and multiple hits on the mastermind in one turn.

That's nuts.


Likewise, Original Spider-Man, for instance, all by himself will give you just 4 attack. But Ultimate Spider-Man can generate almost 30 with his rare.




Doesn't mean either of them is broken or bad, just that some heroes work better by themselves than others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are some Heroes whose decks are more unique, and you either have to go all in on them (ie let them take over the game) or avoid them. I might avoid them if the other Heroes in play aren't optimal for combos, or it can be too easy to get stuck with an HQ full of cards that won't work well in your deck.

Eg
Spider-Man: I might only be interested in his cards if there are enough other 2-cost draw-type cards around.

Ice-man: awesome if the other Heroes have ranged cards, otherwise I'd avoid him.

Wolverine: same as Ice-man but with Instinct.

Black Bolt: too dependent on cards with no rules, so almost always avoid. Unless, maybe, Nick Fury is in the mix, and someone else with lots of card draw.

Though maybe this is more what the OP was talking about:

Silk: I initially enjoyed Silk, but have been getting less enthusiastic about her, with her cards being so cheap and having some straight draw abilities that don't tie you completely to 2-cost cards, I find she's always a good buy and tends to dominate any game she's in.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, lately I have been avoiding Iceman. But it's not because I think he's OP or dominating. It's because he's just too "math-y". When I have a bunch of Iceman cards in my deck, my turns end up taking 5+ minutes as I figure out the optimal playing order. I liked the puzzle of that at first, but I've done it enough times by now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Ice-man: awesome if the other Heroes have ranged cards, otherwise I'd avoid him.


Nitpicking here, but Iceman works amazing with other heroes. The thing is, his cards are really cheap so you can buy a lot of them from the HQ and get to other cards you need.


This is really important, for example, in league play where if I'm strapped for bystander heroes and need to rely on rare cards only (like Hawkeye) that I can go through the HQ a lot till I find it.

Also, if the other hero doesn't clog hand, again as an example Hawkeye and his draw cards, then it doesn't bother you even if the other cards aren't really ranged cards.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Ice-man: awesome if the other Heroes have ranged cards, otherwise I'd avoid him.


Nitpicking here, but Iceman works amazing with other heroes. The thing is, his cards are really cheap so you can buy a lot of them from the HQ and get to other cards you need.


This is really important, for example, in league play where if I'm strapped for bystander heroes and need to rely on rare cards only (like Hawkeye) that I can go through the HQ a lot till I find it.

Also, if the other hero doesn't clog hand, again as an example Hawkeye and his draw cards, then it doesn't bother you even if the other cards aren't really ranged cards.



Interesting point. I'll have to try out an Ice-Man-Hawkeye combo sometime. I can see it would work well if you get a good smattering of Deep Freeze and Quick Draw in the HQ, but on the other hand, I could easily see the HQ getting clogged with Team Player and Ice Slide (which won't combo well and don't offer card draw) and Covering Fire (which is not a great card for solo-play).

I probably need to re-visit Hawkeye, I know his rare is great, but I've tended to avoid him in the past due to limited Avengers to activate Team Player (and it's not a great boost even then, for a 4-cost card), and Covering Fire giving you nothing but 3 attack (in solo).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Ice-man: awesome if the other Heroes have ranged cards, otherwise I'd avoid him.


Nitpicking here, but Iceman works amazing with other heroes. The thing is, his cards are really cheap so you can buy a lot of them from the HQ and get to other cards you need.


This is really important, for example, in league play where if I'm strapped for bystander heroes and need to rely on rare cards only (like Hawkeye) that I can go through the HQ a lot till I find it.

Also, if the other hero doesn't clog hand, again as an example Hawkeye and his draw cards, then it doesn't bother you even if the other cards aren't really ranged cards.



Interesting point. I'll have to try out an Ice-Man-Hawkeye combo sometime. I can see it would work well if you get a good smattering of Deep Freeze and Quick Draw in the HQ, but on the other hand, I could easily see the HQ getting clogged with Team Player and Ice Slide (which won't combo well and don't offer card draw) and Covering Fire (which is not a great card for solo-play).

I probably need to re-visit Hawkeye, I know his rare is great, but I've tended to avoid him in the past due to limited Avengers to activate Team Player (and it's not a great boost even then, for a 4-cost card), and Covering Fire giving you nothing but 3 attack (in solo).


I dunno, Hawkeye for me is just "meh". I wouldn't really see Iceman/Hawkeye being a "combo". Hawkeye does have Quickdraw which doesn't really slow the deck down, but there's no actual synergy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:


I dunno, Hawkeye for me is just "meh". I wouldn't really see Iceman/Hawkeye being a "combo". Hawkeye does have Quickdraw which doesn't really slow the deck down, but there's no actual synergy.


In that particular situation, Hawkeye is actually mostly used for his rare card to get bystanders.

You want the city to fill up so you can easily kill everything in one shot and get tons of bystanders, while also constantly digging into the HQ to get deeper and deeper and you finally buy that rare.

All this while also raising your average recruit per hand so you can buy said rare but not completely blocking your hands so that you can wipe out the city at the right chance and constantly killing at least 1 thing every turn so villains won't escape once the city is filled.



That's where Iceman comes in. He gives you recruit, draw power, cheap cards that you can safely buy a lot while giving you high attack values in each and every hand you get.

There aren't a lot of heroes that can do that for you.

Storm\Emma can give you a lot of recruit with draws, but they won't give you the same amount of attack.

Wolverine will give you lots of attack and draws but not recruit.

That's what the "combo" is all about. It's not about synergy between the cards, but rather in your average recruit\attack per hand and amount of stuff you can take from the HQ.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:


I dunno, Hawkeye for me is just "meh". I wouldn't really see Iceman/Hawkeye being a "combo". Hawkeye does have Quickdraw which doesn't really slow the deck down, but there's no actual synergy.


In that particular situation, Hawkeye is actually mostly used for his rare card to get bystanders.

You want the city to fill up so you can easily kill everything in one shot and get tons of bystanders, while also constantly digging into the HQ to get deeper and deeper and you finally buy that rare.

All this while also raising your average recruit per hand so you can buy said rare but not completely blocking your hands so that you can wipe out the city at the right chance and constantly killing at least 1 thing every turn so villains won't escape once the city is filled.



That's where Iceman comes in. He gives you recruit, draw power, cheap cards that you can safely buy a lot while giving you high attack values in each and every hand you get.

There aren't a lot of heroes that can do that for you.

Storm\Emma can give you a lot of recruit with draws, but they won't give you the same amount of attack.

Wolverine will give you lots of attack and draws but not recruit.

That's what the "combo" is all about. It's not about synergy between the cards, but rather in your average recruit\attack per hand and amount of stuff you can take from the HQ.


I would have to whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. A combo is all about synergy. From my interpretation of what you're describing here is one card that has a good effect, and then one set of cards that you feel is powerful. By the same logic Iceman + Any Great Rare Card = Combo. No, a combo is a set of cards that would work in concert to provide you with even more powerful hands that could be achieved by themselves. For example Angel/Cyclops, Jean Grey/Black Widow, Gambit/Daredevil, etc. By using cards that have synergy you are guaranteeing that you'll have good recruit and attack each turn, that's a combo.

Plus, if you think waiting for the city to fill up and using Iceman for draw power to get Hawkeye's rare is amazing, I suggest you replace Hawkeye's rare with Jean Grey's. That's amazing, because Iceman and Jean Grey have synergy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.