Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

Can I do the above during the investigator phase ?

And if yes does it stay exhausted or become ready again at that point ?

Thanks for help

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can engage any enemy, exhausted or not.

It only "in-exhausts" during the Upkeep Phase, like all other exhausted cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one of the action you can perform during the instigation phase is to engage an enemy in your location. This enemy may either be one that is exhausted unengaged or one that is engaged with another investigator. If you do this with an exhausted enemy it is readied. And, either way, the monster is then moved to your threat area and is engaged with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Lothberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am still learning so I could be wrong but do exhaousted enemies really ready when you engage them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
If you do this with an exhausted enemy it is readied.

No. Ready/Exhausted and Engaged/Disengaged are two different things, and nothing about Engaging states that it changes Exhausted to Ready. It does seem counterintuitive, but the wording of Evade makes it clear that an Engaged Enemy may or may not be Ready: "Any time an enemy is evaded (whether by an evade action,or by card ability), the enemy is exhausted (if it was ready) and the engagement is broken." (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay guys sorted .. thanks ..

Ric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
If you do this with an exhausted enemy it is readied.

No. Ready/Exhausted and Engaged/Disengaged are two different things, and nothing about Engaging states that it changes Exhausted to Ready. It does seem counterintuitive, but the wording of Evade makes it clear that an Engaged Enemy may or may not be Ready: "Any time an enemy is evaded (whether by an evade action,or by card ability), the enemy is exhausted (if it was ready) and the engagement is broken." (emphasis mine)

Ah, yeah, having reread the relevant parts of the Rules References, I see was indeed wrong about that.

Thanks.

And, interesting, Wendy just gained another tool in her toolbox!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Out of interest why would you need to engage an exhausted enemy? You don't need to be engaged to attack an enemy, so you could just attack the exhausted enemy while it is unengaged.

Or is there a card that benefits from this that maybe I haven't seen yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GFWD wrote:
Out of interest why would you need to engage an exhausted enemy? You don't need to be engaged to attack an enemy, so you could just attack the exhausted enemy while it is unengaged.

Well, for one, Machete only gives its damage bonus to an engaged enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, one high-Evasion or high-Health Investigator might Engage this round, confidant of being able to Evade again next turn, so that when the Enemy becomes Ready at the end of this round it doesn't Engage with a different Investigator who needs to do other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GFWD wrote:

Sneak Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
GFWD wrote:

Sneak Attack.

No, Sneak Attack does not require and does not cause Engaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Ah, Machete, that makes sense.

And the strategy of engaging the exhausted enemy for when it becomes un-exhuasted hadn't occurred to me, I am mostly playing one investigator solo.

thanks for those examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
GFWD wrote:

Sneak Attack.

No, Sneak Attack does not require and does not cause Engaged.

Oh, yeah, I misread GFWD's question - I thought it was asking about the exhausted part of the situation, not the engaged part.

So, yeah, main reason is to stop it from engaging with someone else when it unexhausts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.