$35.00
Davide Mazzocchi
Italy
flag msg tools
Ages ago I bought the game, but I found it difficult and hard to enjoy. I tried out some variants but I never found the right one for me. Lately I've spent some time alone with the game and I've come up with a set of rules I like. (Maybe not original at all, maybe stolen somewhere on the Internet, I can't rember )

DISCLAIMER
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please keep in mind that:
1. I'm no hardcore gamer
2. I like deckbuilding, but not too much
3. I hate loosing 23 games in a row
4. I LOVE Lord of the rings
5. I like playing solo or two players

The Rules (changes)

Deckbuilding
1. Minimum deck size: 60 cards (heroes excluded)
2. Normal 3x card limitation still applies
3. You can add Heroes in your deck: max 3 and single copy

Resource phase
1. Every Hero in play generates 1 resource, you draw a card then...
2. you can decide ONE (only one) of the following:
a. get an additional resource (on one hero of your choice) or
b. draw an additional card and discard one card from your hand or
c. get a Fellowship point (explained later)

Planning phase
1. all rules apply
2. you can play Heroes from your hand. In order to play a Hero you have to pay his/her entire price by increasing your Threat. So, if you want to play Aragorn (Core Set) you have to add 12 to your threat. (I know it seems absurd, but wait...)
3. You can "discount" the hero price by any Fellowship point you have. Let's say you have 5 Felloship points. Aragor now costs just 7 threat.

Quest phase
1. If you quest unsuccessfully (draw or loose) you get 2 Fellowiship points. A little help in dark times

Encounter phase
Nothing changed

Combat phase
1. when you decide to optinally engage an enemy you get a free attack. Rules for attacking/exhausting characters still apply. Seems legit, I attack: I strike first (I'm a cheater )
2. Enememies engaged with you follow the standard rules, but... If they have a higher threat value than you do (maybe they have been engaged optionally before) thay don't get shadow card. Although additional shadow card could be delt by specific card text!

How it went
I tested this set of rules with cards I own (1 core set and all Shadow of Mirkwood Adventure packs). I can build thematic deck lick Dwarf, Rohan and so on. I still loose (because I'm not that good at all and I play casually) but I got a decent win ratio against medium difficulty quests suche as Anduind.

Disclaimer again
1. The rules are made to get a more enjoyable experience.
2. The rules use ALL the rules and cards of the game (NO EASY quest deck, just normal one. Shadow cards and so on)
3. A bit of setting specific: in dark times allies and good people fight together (hence the heroes inside the deck)

Feedback? Thoughts? Let me know

See ya, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well...your very first rule change is going to increase the difficulty. A bigger deck means you are less likely to find the card(s) you really want.

The rest of the rules....look to make the game easy to the point of boredom FOR ME. But whatever floats your boat. My wife likes playing solitaire on the computer. I don't get it....but she likes it.

Have you tried the official Easy Mode rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always bothered me that I can play with only three heroes, but toss in a pile of weenies into the deck. I want to play with Frodo, Sam, Merry, AND Pippin. Maybe toss in Strider depending on the scenario. I get their attempt at game balance, but it just never feels like I'm in a real Tolkien story. Just my gripe. If your system works, that is awesom. I'm a firm believer that rules are not written in stone. IIt's just a game anyway.

BTW I used to play the old Decipher game, which had its weird issues as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Mazzocchi
Italy
flag msg tools
Tubarush wrote:
Have you tried the official Easy Mode rules?

Yes I have, but I didn't like it. I would like to play with all my favourite heroes from the books... I don't really mind Longbeard Orc Slayer. Give me Gimli! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I’m understanding what you’re saying about the Heroes changes, you mean that the Heroes are shuffled into your player deck instead of out in play on the table at the start of the game?

Not adding to your Threat level until a Hero card comes into play helps to slow down when enemies engage and other effects that dependent on your Threat level, but things are going to build up in the Staging area quickly with you not being able to deal with them.

If you start the game with no Heroes in play and have to wait until you draw a Hero card before you play it, that means you will be acquiring zero resources (Resource steps 1 & 2a do not apply since you have no Heroes in play). With no available resources, you can’t play ANY cards, except 0 cost cards). Even when you are finally able to get a Hero in play, you have to wait until the start of the next turn before it can acquire a resource and it’s going to take even longer to gather enough resources to pay for higher costed cards.

This sounds like it’s going to make the game so much harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what the OP is suggesting is to start with three heroes (or up to 3, anyway) like normal, but have up to 3 additional heroes that can enter play during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
Agreed.

And with such an approach, one could employ a secrecy approach in the beginning, with the goal of quick set up, and move heavy hitters in later?

Some advantage, some risk. Or am I reading it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.