17 Posts

Paths to Hell» Forums » Rules

Subject: Comparing assaults rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
I'm writing a play aid detailing the attack procedures. Distant fires (AT, AP, ART) are simple enough, but I have some questions about assaults.

There are 4 kinds of assaults:
HtH (infantry vs Infantry/Guns)
Armored assault (AFV vs Inf/Guns)
Anti-Armor Assault (Inf vs AFV, both offensively or defensively)
Armor Support (Inf+AFV vs Inf/Guns)

the first one seems the most complete. The procedure is:
- Declaration
- Def fire before assault move
- pre assault MC
- Def fire after assault move (the assaulters are now in the assaulted hex)
- Resolution of the assault, with retreats, MC for defeated units, continuation if not.

About the armored assault, it seems the procedure isn't the same one. OK, there is no pre assault MC and no continuation is possible. But, I mean, I din't find in 9,2 if there are one or two defensive fires. I don't see both procedures should be different on this point.

Anti-Armor Assault:
Same question as previously, but in addition, what does the sentence 'First time at normal FF, in succeeding phases only ion they first pass a MC and if passed at half FF'. What are those 'phases'?
According to the end of 9,2, if the assaulters didn't eliminate the AFV, they retreat (so no more assault). If they do, there is also no more assault.

Armor support:
Same as previously, is there the possibility to defensive fire before and after assault move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

About the Armored Assault: you have in the rule 9.2:

"- Each AT/ART unit may potentially attempt defensive fire. However, if all
of the AT/ART units in the hex being attacked have not been activated or are
marked as “Finished”, no matter how many there are, one, and only one, may
perform defensive fire at half its FF.
- Each infantry unit marked for reaction may attempt an anti-armor assault,
which is resolved in the hex in which the AFVs are located (adjacent to the
assaulted hex). If all the infantry units in the assaulted hex are marked as
“Finished” or have not been activated, one, and only one, of them may
attempt an anti-armor assault, after which it is marked as “Finished”."

About the Anti-Armor Assault:

My formation with 3 units, in my phase assault with 2 units the enemy AFV, If the assaulted AFV has received any hits it must make a morale
check. If it passes, it has the opportunity to withdraw to an adjacent
hex, if it does not pass or not withdraw I can assault with my other unit of my formation, the AFV if you want to defend must pass a morale check first. If the AFV withdraw after the first assult, there will not be a second.
Another way would be to activate two formations at the same time (7.3 Coordination of Officers), one formation assault the AFV if this has received any hits it must make a morale check. If it passes, it has the opportunity to withdraw to an adjacent hex,if it does not pass or not withdraw we can assault again with the other formation the AFV if you want to defend must pass a morale check first. If the AFV withdraw after the first assult, there will not be a second.

About the Armor Support:

Rule 9.4:

"- The defender may choose to perform either defensive fire or anti-armor assault in
response to the assault (of course, the latter applies only if the attacker has AFVs)."

Rule 9.2:

"- Each AT/ART unit may potentially attempt defensive fire. However, if all
of the AT/ART units in the hex being attacked have not been activated or are
marked as “Finished”, no matter how many there are, one, and only one, may
perform defensive fire at half its FF.
- Each infantry unit marked for reaction may attempt an anti-armor assault,
which is resolved in the hex in which the AFVs are located (adjacent to the
assaulted hex). If all the infantry units in the assaulted hex are marked as
“Finished” or have not been activated, one, and only one, of them may
attempt an anti-armor assault, after which it is marked as “Finished”."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
sorry Nicolas, this doesn't answer my questions.

Only HtH is accurate about when defensive units are firing. Either before pre-assault MC, either after.

For armored assault, there is no pre assault MC, so, is there two possibilities to defensive fire (before assault move, using defensive value of the adjacent hex, or after, using the defensive value of the assaulted hex.

Same question for all other kinds of assault.

About the phases for anti armor assault, if I understand well, it happens if an AFV is assaulted many times during the same activation?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Hi Mark

For armored assault, there is no pre assault MC, so, is there two possibilities to defensive fire (before assault move, using defensive value of the adjacent hex, or after, using the defensive value of the assaulted hex.

Anti armour assault One,before assault move, using defensive value of the adjacent hex.

For armoured support one , before assault is against the AFV, using defensive value of the adjacent hex or two is against the infantry first when declare the assault in adjacent hex and another when is in the assaulted hex if is infantry

About the phases for anti armor assault, if I understand well, it happens if an AFV is assaulted many times during the same activation?

Correct

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Cebryk wrote:

For armoured support one , before assault is against the AFV, using defensive value of the adjacent hex or two is against the infantry first when declare the assault in adjacent hex and another when is in the assaulted hex if is infantry
JCC

Sorry, I didn't understand the bold part. Is it possible to have an example, please?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Hi Mark:

Sorry, I didn't understand the bold part. Is it possible to have an example, please?

Sorry is a mistake from my part:

- The defender may choose to perform either defensive fire or anti-armor assault in response to the assault in the adjacent hex,(but only one), next the atacker enter the hex and resolves the attack, the last two examples in armour support explain this

regards

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Thanks. I'll write a summary about all kinds of assault as I feel it's a difficult part of the rules.
I may have questions later.

Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Marc, sounds great!!

Best
Niko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Another question

Is an assault part of a move action or an action in itself?

I mean, do you declare a move, then when adjacent to the ennemy you declare an assault and resolve it?
Or do you declare an assault,then move adjacent to the ennemy and resolve the assault?

The main difference being when you declare the assault

Oh another one related to assault. it seems the only way to move groups is stacked movement. nowhere AFAIK it is stated except second items of 9.1

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Is an assault part of a move action or an action in itself?

The assault itself is a movement.

I mean, do you declare a move, then when adjacent to the ennemy you declare an assault and resolve it?
Or do you declare an assault,then move adjacent to the ennemy and resolve the assault?

You declare an assault, them move adjacent to the enemy and resolve the assault.

Oh another one related to assault. it seems the only way to move groups is stacked movement. nowhere AFAIK it is stated except second items of 9.1

Sorry, don't make sense.

Best
Niko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
ok with the assault.

About the move, it seems, according to the assault section, that the only way to move many units simultaneously is whan they are already stacked. right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About the move, it seems, according to the assault secton, that the only way to move many units simultaneously is whan they are already stacked. right?

Right.

Best
Niko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Niko3 wrote:
About the move, it seems, according to the assault secton, that the only way to move many units simultaneously is whan they are already stacked. right?

Right.

Best
Niko

Ok, I'll add that to my notes.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Hello

I'm trying to understand HtH as accurately as possible.

First of all, could you validate the following steps, please?:

- Declaration of assault when activating units.
- Individual or stacked movement of all assaulting units, until they are adjacent to the target hex.
- Defensive fire during the assaulting units movement, as per 3.4.
- Pre-assault moral check by assaulting units.
- Assaulting units that passed the morale check advance into the target hex. Those that didn’t pass it are marked as finished.
- Defensive fire against units that moved into the target hex by defending units that didn’t fire earlier during that activation as per 9.1.2.
- Resolution of the assault. Defeated units check morale unless there are none because the assault continues.
- Assaulting and assaulted units are marked as finished.

A question then:
Suppose you activate two individual units (each in their own hex) to assault a particular hex.
How do you proceed?
Do you resolve the assault (from the beginning to the end) for each unit separately, or, do you resolve only one assault when all possible units have moved into the target hex?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Niko3 wrote:

You declare an assault, them move adjacent to the enemy and resolve the assault.

Sorry to come back about that, but according to 9. Close Assault (to execute a close assault, the assaulting units must be in a hex or hexes adjacent to the hex occupied by enemy units and declare an assault) and p.16 example, it seems that the units are activated to move, then, when adjacent to the enemy, declare an assault.

So, how should we proceed?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Hi Mark

A question then:
Suppose you activate two individual units (each in their own hex) to assault a particular hex.
How do you proceed?
Do you resolve the assault (from the beginning to the end) for each unit separately, or, do you resolve only one assault when all possible units have moved into the target hex?

If you dont active the formation with the officer, you can only active one unit alone cheking his morale

Sorry to come back about that, but according to 9. Close Assault (to execute a close assault, the assaulting units must be in a hex or hexes adjacent to the hex occupied by enemy units and declare an assault) and p.16 example, it seems that the units are activated to move, then, when adjacent to the enemy, declare an assault.

So, how should we proceed?

- Declaration of the assault, an then, individual or stacked movement of all assaulting units.

JCC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
Cebryk wrote:
Hi Mark

A question then:
How do you proceed?

If you dont active the formation with the officer, you can only active one unit alone cheking his morale

I should have stated that both activated units are activated as part of their formation.

Ok, I think I understand. But to be sure, an example:
Suppose a formation, with at least 2 infantry units, is activated. Those infantries are not stacked together.
When I activate one unit:
- I declare an assault
- It moves next to the enemy
- Supposing it was left unscathed by any defensive fire, it checks morale before assault
- The morale check being successful, it enters the enemy hex.

Now, the question is, do you resolve immediately the HtH, or do you wait till the second infantry is activated, knowing that you want to integrate the same HtH hex, in order for both infantries to fight together?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.