Subject: Painters -- how are you dealing with bases/minion colors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm painting this for a friend, and I haven't played it yet.

Can't really make sense of the rules or of the components. I'd like to paint the bases in such a way as to avoid using the snap-on colored bases, as those usually ruin paint jobs, but I can't figure out the distribution of colors.

For instance, take the tentacle tiles. They represent four colors of "tentacle activation," but there are ten total generic tentacles (not including the three special tentacles). If there were eight of them, I'd just paint two bases in each of the four colors. But 10/13? Not sure how to proceed.

I also like to paint good guys and bad guys in different base colors (with identifying rims) but sometimes Thak is a good guy, and sometimes he's a villain? Confusing, just in terms of making painted components universally legible on the table.

Ack. Should I just paint all the bases one color and let Crom sort 'em out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers and distrubution of the coloured bases varies with different scenarios; I dont think you can avoid using them, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
The numbers and distrubution of the coloured bases varies with different scenarios; I dont think you can avoid using them, tbh.

Thanks.

This makes Conan want to raid a village.

I wonder if it's possible to "group" figures under a single, distinguishable lieutenant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the lieutenants have unique sculpts. And the scenarios often have them leading multiple separate activation groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the obvious choice is to repaint each base before a new game.
<ducks for cover>

of course if you really want to be diligent you have to pause a game when a character changes ground terrain to rebase the mini accordingly.

Seriously though, I would go with just black and hope for the best with rings.

PS: no I'm not affiliated with any company producing paint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
the snap on things are pretty loose so shouldn't scratch much . Perhaps leaving the vertical side of the base grey will help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slightly off topic side note, but it has bases and paint in it.

if anyone intends to paint the 3D doors I suggest to do this already assembled, otherwise the paint layer will make connecting the base and the door frame difficult, risking to break off the pins when applying too much force.

<makes shooing motion> carry on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
An option is to divide the minis and paint the edge of the bases with the rings/tiles colours. If the scenario requires more units of a given colour, add the corresponding ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Colored Blu-Tack. Stick the same blob on the Overlord's tile, if you want. Make sure you get the exciting tack. The dull tack doesn't stick as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
An option is to divide the minis and paint the edge of the bases with the rings/tiles colours. If the scenario requires more units of a given colour, add the corresponding ring.

Yeah, that was the plan, except they don't divide evenly. I think maybe grey bases, as mentioned by Glen above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
Roolz wrote:

Yeah, that was the plan, except they don't divide evenly. I think maybe grey bases, as mentioned by Glen above.

They don't divide evenly indeed. You'll have to decide which colour will have 1 more (or 1 less) mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérémie Gottero
msg tools
Based on the existing scenarios, here is a possible distribution (all credits goes to khaali):

Pict hunters : 4 red, 4 green, 4 blue, 3 orange
Pict warriors : 5 grey

Pirates : 5 red, 5 green, 5 blue
Pirates (alt) : 5 grey

Guards: 7 grey, 5 red, 3 green
Guards (alt) : 5 blue

Regarding tentacles I guess we will have to wait for more scenarios.

Here is the result with all guards:

Note that it does not prevent you from using colored rings, as the edge of the base is not visible anymore when the ring is in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.