10 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: can't wipe off opponents in an 8v2 battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
hi everyone

played this for the first time last night and really liked it, but what triggered the end game was a bit annoying, it had to do with the "1 battle per region per player" thing

we figured player A was going to have 12 coins next turn

he had an island providing 2 coins, with ~4 armies defending it

player B attacked with 4 guys, and they each killed 3, so there was one of each left

now, because of the 1 fight per region per player I (player C) couldnt take 5 guys there, wipe everyone else, and take control of player A's city

this means, if player A had done better in the battle with B, more luck with the dice, more troops, or a cool hero power, and killed every troop of player B, and the outcome was something like

player A: 3 troops
player B: 0 troops

instead of the 1/1

player A would actually be in a wors position, because then I could wipe him out and take control of the coins (i had 7 armies that could go in the island)

did we mess up something in the rules, like, only one attack per region, per player^2 (meaning, the same player can't attack the same player twice in the same region)

else, don't you think it's very non-thematic that doing better in a battle cripples your chances in such an obvious/direct way?

ps: you guessed it, player A had the pyramid next turn ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: can't win a 8v1v1
Well I think it was a tactical blunder of player B (if you were B). After all, in the movement and battle phase you FIRST have to move all units you want and THEN fight all the ensuing battles. See rulebook p.6 under 4.1.2 "Land Movement".

Player B should have taken less risk and put in more troops all at once instead.

edit: if you were player C (and not B), as far as I know your were allowed to attack. Where does it say you can only have 1 battle per player per region each phase? Afaik it was confirmed that there can be 3-way battles in a region as well. See p.7 under 4.2, the last red printed line. You can even attack 1 legion with 2 legions and another 1 with the other 2 legions afaik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Ya, I think you mis-understood the rule. You can only attack a region once per active player turn, a region can be attacked by multiple players, each on their active turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see one mistake:
Songok wrote:

he had an island providing 4 coins, with ~4 armies defending it

There are no islands with 2 cities. The only provinces with 2 cities are Athens and Aegyptus.

Each city can provide a maximum of 2 coins with a temple in the province (Legendary cities with a temple can provide 2 coins and a legendary commodity or 1 coin and 2 legendary commodities).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original edition of the game, I believe you could battle multiple opponents in the same province, by splitting your legions and assigning each legion to a specific opponent.

In the new edition, this is only clarified in the "FAQ" on pg 9 where it says you must choose a single opponent. The French rules I have seen do not have this FAQ, so I wonder if the French rules handle this differently (as I consider the French to be more official).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So since Player C can only attack one nation's units, if he had moved in and wiped out player A's remaining unit, would he be conqueror, despite Player B's remaining unit in the province? Would Player C be able to pillage the magical 4 coin city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
Porkins_ wrote:
So since Player C can only attack one nation's units, if he had moved in and wiped out player A's remaining unit, would he be conqueror, despite Player B's remaining unit in the province? Would Player C be able to pillage the magical 4 coin city?

No, because the province is still at war due to the presence of player b.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
sorry everyone, i made a few mistakes in the description, i wrote this after getting home from the game, and it was a bit late ^^

See the most anti-thematic solution we found in the bottom ^^

Some corrections:

Thaddeus: Yes, I was player C. And it may still be a tactical mistake, I had more units than B, so I should have been the one attacking, but at the time I thought what happened was better for me because I could come last, wipe everyone and save some units. then they told me the rule ^^

Roger: I figured I could attack, just not take control of it because there were 2 players in the region

Aaron: you are right, it was only 2 coins. It was the island on the left, with a city and a temple

George: that's what I was hoping for, and what I think makes sense

The solution to this was very dumb thematically, I (player C) attacked player B with only one army, hoping we would kill each other, leaving only player A in the region, then player D could come with a 3 unit army and clear the last army of player A and taking control of the city.
Player B had a hero that gave one more dice roll and killed me, I didn't roll high enough

Player E still took another island from player A, but that one only provided 1 coin so player A was still able to get the 12 coins (2 from last round, + 8 this round, +1 from the "temple hero card" + 1 exchange from the egyptian basic hero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
In the original edition of the game, I believe you could battle multiple opponents in the same province, by splitting your legions and assigning each legion to a specific opponent.

This makes soooo much more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
still, even in the original rules (that allowed to split the army and fight both opponents) the fact that player A didnt do better in the battle (clear all of player B troops instead of leaving one) still gave him and advantage, which i dont think makes much sense

for me, the way around this that would make more sense is that you can't get resources from a region if there are opponents there (or to make it a bit closer for the defender, if you dont have a majority of the troops in the region), that way the more enemies you clear the better

still, if you attack a region and don't clear every opposing army you can't pillage/try to take control of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.