Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exertion limit and damage on heroes turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

what happens when during heroes turn the hero receives damage (from falling/leaping, units' counterattack use, explosive orb or lightning storm) that causes the hero to suffer damage from the action spaces area? Does the hero have the possibility to conduct more actions than exertion limit would indicate?

Imagine moving - the hero's player moves 2 gems into the Movement action space (exertion limit 4). During moving, the hero leaps from a balcony and suffers 2 damage. He/she has no gems in the fatigue zone, therefore moves 2 gems from the movement action space into the wounded area. The hero wants to continue moving - with the Movement action space empty, the rules seem to indicate the hero can spend 4 more gems on movement:

"A player cannot assign gems to a space if doing so would raise the total number of gems on the space above its exertion limit."

What do you think, is this a bug or a feature?

Bifi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, when you're allowed to remove gems from action spaces, that this is a feature, as you call it.

I think it opens up player possibilities, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a bug to me, but whether it is an intentional bug (aka a feature) or an unintentional bug I'm not sure.

Either way though I think your interpretation is correct, based on the rules as written. Personally I think the rules SHOULD have said you take wounds from fatigue, then reserve, then action spaces. Or even better: fatigue, then action spaces with no exertion limit (like Reroll and Guard), then reserve, then other action spaces.

But the rules clearly say fatigue, then action spaces, then reserve so yes, you can potentially get extra movement, or extra attacks, or extra whatever, by taking damage during your turn.

And note that the new French rules mention you take gems off spell cards, ally tiles, etc. at the same priority as action spaces. So taking damage could allow you to recast a normally "once a turn" spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesG wrote:
Seems like a bug to me, but whether it is an intentional bug (aka a feature) or an unintentional bug I'm not sure.

Agreed.

JamesG wrote:
Either way though I think your interpretation is correct, based on the rules as written. Personally I think the rules SHOULD have said you take wounds from fatigue, then reserve, then action spaces. Or even better: fatigue, then action spaces with no exertion limit (like Reroll and Guard), then reserve, then other action spaces.

i think both of those options are excellent candidates for house rules. (The first one moreso because it's simpler to remember.)

JamesG wrote:
And note that the new French rules mention you take gems off spell cards, ally tiles, etc. at the same priority as action spaces. So taking damage could allow you to recast a normally "once a turn" spell.

That seems to be the case, but a rare one: Action gems move to fatigue at the start AND end of each of the heroes' turn, and spell gems are moved at the end of EACH turn (all players move all their spell-casting gems at the end of all players' turns: Heroes' Book, page 19), so there are rarely gems on a spell when a hero can take damage. A few outlier cases: falling/area damage on a hero's turn (when he has gems in Action spaces), and gems spent on the OL's turn for "fast" spells (but those gems move to the Fatigue space at the end of _the OL's turn_, so the hero cannot effectively multi-use them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Personally I don't game this. Removing it from action spaces/spells is so that damage doesn't remove from your available resource. If I have to remove from action spaces I still count the gems that were there as part of the limit. Although as you say that is not technically as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem to me like you should be able to exert yourself more after you take a beating. How does that work in a story?

"After slaying several guards, Conan leapt off the balcony, sword in hand, but landed hard and broke his leg. For some reason he found that taking a painful wound made him capable of hitting more things."

I don't see this happening a lot in my games anyway, and if you want to play it that way, I sure won't stop you. But we won't be doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
It doesn't seem to me like you should be able to exert yourself more after you take a beating. How does that work in a story?

That's a fine criterion that nevertheless can cause chaos when confronted with hard rules as they were designed. (You might, e.g., think that you can defend with both a shield and a one-handed melee weapon - or that you cannot switch weapons between attacks. Turns out you can't and you can.)
multifish wrote:
Personally I don't game this. Removing it from action spaces/spells is so that damage doesn't remove from your available resource. If I have to remove from action spaces I still count the gems that were there as part of the limit. Although as you say that is not technically as written.

Will check the exact wording of the new FR rulebook with my girlfriend, perhaps the formulation is different there.

Of course, it makes sense to mentally track how many gems were allocated to an action space/spell (as opposed to how many are present), but it is not consistent with the rest of the design (i.e. that all dials are visible and reflect actual states).

I also like the house rule of increasing priority of reserves when moving gems to the wound area, but a number of players will complain that it makes the game more difficult since so many of the scenarios are scarce on resources (and the strategy of suffering damage rather than losing agency is quite popular).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:

"After slaying several guards, Conan leapt off the balcony, sword in hand, but landed hard and broke his leg. For some reason he found that taking a painful wound made him capable of hitting more things."

The Adrenaline kicked in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The leg was not broken, just bruised. The failure in front of the princess (to whomever) spurred Conan on to do better - There are no medals for participation only the blood of your enemies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
It seems that the new French version of the rulebook defines exertion limit as the maximum amount of gems you can move to an action space throughout the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifi666 wrote:
It seems that the new French version of the rulebook defines exertion limit as the maximum amount of gems you can move to an action space throughout the turn.

Yes, exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifi 666
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.