BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation needed for 12 year old boy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m looking for a suggestion for a great board game for a 12 year old boy.

The company I work for “adopts” families every Christmas and provides clothes and toys for kids of those families. This year, I volunteered to buy a gift for a 12 year old boy who listed that he likes board games. He also likes Teen Titans, Angry Birds, and Legos. (This is the only info I have). Since I don’t have kids, I’m hoping you all might have some ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Kara

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Teen Titans -- a deck-building game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cube Quest is a super fun game for kids that age. It has variables, mixes up the idea a little bit of your general board games as it is a dex game, and there are enough variables that it has alot of re-playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard with such limited information. How about Nexus Ops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephews like King of Tokyo. I've played once and it was pretty fun, and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has always liked Can't Stop. It's usually the first game that comes out when family or friends come over and all ages have enjoyed playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, the top-ranked game for 12 and over is Terra Mystica. No, I'm kidding. I second King of Tokyo. It's perfect for a 12 year old boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo sounds like a great option so I think I'll likely get that one. I'm still waffling about DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Teen Titans - sounds like a great fit, but I'm worried about the minimum age on this one (game: 15, community: 12), especially since I don't know if there will be adult help or not. I'm going to read more about the other two - Can't Stop and Cube Quest since I haven't heard of those.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Ogre as well. It was a huge favorite of mine when it came out in the '70s, and has had a lasting presence for many gamers for decades. (Full disclosure - I'm the line editor of it now!) A new version has been released to encourage a new generation of gamers to learn about it. We would love nothing more than to have a new generation discover the game so many of us love.

You can find out more at the link above, on the SJ Games Forums or Kickstarter.

Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for King of Tokyo

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game This is a favorite of my son. He's 11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.