HMS Dolores» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I know this isn't in the spirit of the game, but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
...why wouldn't I choose "war" every time (in a two player game anyway)? Best case scenario I get all the cards. Next best, I get 75% of the cards. Worst case scenario, I don't get any cards, but neither does my opponent. If I choose "war" every time I put a strangle hold on my opponent, they will likely never win.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I heard this argument in a video review I thought a bit about it. I haven't thought it through and haven't yet played the game with 2, either, but here are some thoughts:

It depends on what cards there are on offer. If they are much more valuable for you and your opponent knows your "strategy" already, you're hardly well advised to choose war.

Also, if your opponents does get a head start, it doesn't help you if in the worst case both of you don't get anything all the time.

Thirdly, if you follow that "strategy" all the time, you're obviously easy to read. A few crucial "pick-firsts" for your opponent, and you might loose even if you get a lot of cards. So you'll need to choose something else for at least a few times - enough for you to mess it up.

Last, even more so than not being in the spirit of the game, it's just not fun. One could argue that a 100% all-war strategy is legitimate (which it is), but it is boring. Now that could be blamed as bad game design, but then again many games would appear to be that when you follow a completely programmed no-tactics strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is because of the way the scoring works.

If you choose war all the time, you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need, which may well drag down your total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
The answer is because of the way the scoring works.

If you choose war all the time, you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need, which may well drag down your total.

Hmm...maybe, but even if you take "first choice" sometimes to get what you really want, and "war" the rest of the time to cancel me out (as I pick "war" every time) I'm going to have such an overwhelming amount of cards in comparison to you that it seems to me I'll likely win through sheer numbers. Maybe not though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
Last, even more so than not being in the spirit of the game, it's just not fun.

Winning, while watching your opponent's impotent attempt to compete with you seems fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
... I'm going to have such an overwhelming amount of cards in comparison to you that it seems to me I'll likely win through sheer numbers. Maybe not though.

You might end up with a single card of some sort and waste a lot of cards.

Maximuss wrote:
Winning, while watching your opponent's impotent attempt to compete with you seems fun.

While doing the same thing all the time?

But you know what. You made me curious. I'll try that some times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, this was my first reaction when seeing the rules. But after playing the game, it seems more subtle. There's a lot of negotiation involved.

In terms of gaming it, I suspect that all first pick might well beat all war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Incidentally, this was my first reaction when seeing the rules. But after playing the game, it seems more subtle. There's a lot of negotiation involved.

These might be interesting experiments to try once anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
MrMT wrote:

These might be interesting experiments to try once anyway.

Yes. Might require a little more coding chops than I have, however, to run the scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.