$20.00
Mark Chamberlain
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we all know the player-card aspects to buying the second core set. Did you ever consider, however, that you can have all three scenarios built simultaneously it you have two core sets? This has cut down my set up time considerably.

I think it's safe to assume that some very foundational cards are going to be in these sorts of boxes, and that these are the most likely to be fought over in cross-class situations. Same with these core set cards.
In LotR, having three of the foundational deluxe (incidentally, the same number as a playset, although you then have three playsets of player cards too) allowed you to have all the scenarios in a given cycle built simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's pretty nice. I like that most encounter sets are used exactly twice and none three times.

Didn't work quite as smoothly with Lotr, mostly because the Core had a Cycle attached. 3 cores allowed you to keep the full cycle assembled, but not quite the intro scenarios from the core in addition, you'd need 2(?) more Orc sets for that or some such. Still, vastly reduced messing with sets.

Never got into getting multiple Deluxes, mainly because I felt little need for extras of the player cards. Don't know all encounter set use spreads offhand, but you'd probably also hit 3+ to perma-assemble all scenarios, which is a bit extreme. (Pretty sure 3 isn't enough for some?)

Multiple Deluxes might be more useful/viable in Arkham if you want to 4-hand (or supply a table), so might get to actually enjoy the benefits that brings to scenario building convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed in every single "how many cores" post, and quite honestly is the least important benefit. It makes sense to want to be able to play with 3-4, use any pair of investigators at 2P and to have greater deck building flexibility, but saving 3-4 minutes is not something I would spend $40 for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chamberlain
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathological_RJ wrote:
This has been discussed in every single "how many cores" post

Yeah, that's not true. I've lurked this and Reddit. I only posted because I found it relevent and useful, and- check the title- not often discussed.

Also, I don't recall saying that this was the Tipping Point Reason, that this should push people in to a second core. I'm just saying, you're not losing half of your purchase in cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Having a complete playset of every single player card and being able to pre-assemble the scenario cards are the two best arguments for buying a second core set. As this game develops this will only become that much more obvious, particularly with the player cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
If you have 24 core sets you can pre build 12 complete campaigns and never have to set anything up ever again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
oggeymoggel wrote:
Did you ever consider, however, that you can have all three scenarios built simultaneously it you have two core sets? This has cut down my set up time considerably.

While this may work for right now, who knows how many of these decks will carry over to be used by the Dunwich Legacy Cycle or further. You may end up needing 8+ Ghoul, Rat, etc decks to have all those prebuilt too. But still, this is great for now and lets me store 3 decks ready to go as I teach people this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup time, about 15-20 seconds. Love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathological_RJ wrote:
This has been discussed in every single "how many cores" post, and quite honestly is the least important benefit. It makes sense to want to be able to play with 3-4, use any pair of investigators at 2P and to have greater deck building flexibility, but saving 3-4 minutes is not something I would spend $40 for.

A majority of the "how many cores" discussion revolves around the idea that with a Second core set, you are only using half the cards in it and chucking the rest. The OP is merely pointing out a small side benefit is that you may get more use than you thought.

And I certainly don't know how you read the OP and came away with the idea that they were suggesting THAT was the main reason to buy a second core set.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oggeymoggel wrote:
I think we all know the player-card aspects to buying the second core set. Did you ever consider, however, that you can have all three scenarios built simultaneously it you have two core sets? This has cut down my set up time considerably.

One minuscule exception has not yet been noted: depending on campaign progression, the Ghoul Priest (card 116, IIRC) may or may not be needed in all three scenarios, and yet there is only 1 copy of him per core set. i.e. it "might" (depending on campaign progression) be necessary to pull that card out of scenario 1 or 2 to put it in scenario 2 or 3, respectively.

Or, as others more sarcastic than myself have pointed out, one can simply kill the Ghoul Priest in scenario 1 and be done with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I usually mention it in these threads on BGG and I know I wasn't the only one. Yes it is really great to cut your setup time by more than half since you don't need to gather the encounter cards. It is a definite convenience. Also it means that less than 1/4th of the cards are "extras" in the second core. The nice thing is you can actually do this with two cores. In LOTR you couldn't pre-assemble all the scenarios even with three cores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.