Subject: Why are the expansions so ridiculously expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitrios Giannoulis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start with, in the UK it is almost impossible to find them anywhere.

But one can try through EBay (I got a couple with reasonable shippings from Australia)

Yet, the question still lingers on. Paying as much as the base game for a bunch of cards that once played you will never ever use again seems a rip off from miles.

Sure these cards allow for a whole different game, same as the base game though. So lacking the content the base game was coming with they should be selling at least for half the price!

Unacceptable in my humble opinion... :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for the reprint and don't buy from people on Ebay. The expansions are half the price of the base game (at least in Germany).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's market forces for you, wait for the reprints to arrive.

(And if you think TIME Stories scenarios are expensive, try getting hold of a copy of Legendary: Fantastic Four.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread it was mentioned that the expansions are going through a reprint. First one is Marcy due in January.

Have you tried to see if someone local would loan you a used copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the price point is much too high. As a result, people in my area are starting to "rent" modules for $10-$15. If Space Cowboys aren't careful they might price themselves right out of the market.

TLS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are not expensive in the UK, I would wait for the reprint; you can get the expansions for about £16-18 which is not much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Private
msg tools
I am guessing the material costs are minimal. Made from cardboard and plastic. The big expense is the development and design. The expansion has to recoop the costs of the artists and story writers etc. It is also a fairly new game, and among its fan base there is a higher demand for the expansion. I mean with Settlers of Catan, a lot of fans will be happy with the base game.

I wouldn't worry about them pricing themselves out of business they will lower the price first. In fact, the secondary market for the expansions will probably grow, so that in 5 years they will be a bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.