Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opportunity Fire and Mine attack timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a lot of games with the same opponent, and yet we hit something new today we couldn't find in the rules.

A squad under opportunity fire moved into a hex with a mine marker (existing already). What comes first? The op fire attack or the mine attack?

If both had been played as actions (with the mine being placed by an action), it would have been the choice of the player playing the cards.

If only the Op fire was played, I expect the mine attack would come before the op fire could be played. But this is a guess, I can't find it in the rules.

In this case, the op fire had been played previously, and the mine marker was there already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders choice. He has til the end of the Move order to Op Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a lot of support in the rules for a choice. The rules define the moment at which a player must take opportunity fire, or not. The question is just whether it's before or after the moment at which the mines attack. I think the mines attack first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with David, there is not much support in the rules for a choice.

My gut feeling says mines attack first. This is because it seems tied to the move itself, whereas opportunity fire is something that happens afterwards (step 1: move, step 2: opp fire).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The order really makes very little difference most of the time, so it shouldn't be too heated. But it's a valid question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We agreed (friendly) that the mines went first, based on "gut feeling"
But my opponent would have preferred to fire first - though it was difficult to predict what would have been best for him.

"Inactive player's choice" may in fact be the closest to what the rules state. But given the extreme (and unusual) precision of these rules, this is an interesting case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine attacks are made before Op Fire is allowed. Mines are "as it enters" the hex; Op Fire is once the unit is in the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I read Chad's response I'm happy to say I was thinking the same. To me it fits the narrative nicely. As if the mine attack triggered the enemy to then open up on the hapless squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.