Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello tactica-skirmish-lovers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Earth Reborn in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Earth Reborn in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
The 3 best things about Earth Reborn in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. The backstory. It's mad, and brilliant.

2. The way command points work. Especially the way bidding for initiative and interrupt depletes your stock.

3. Traitors, radio scrambling, flipping the character card to a new set of stats when wounded, interaction, searching... actually most of it, mechanics-wise. This is cheating, so maybe my favourite specific mechanic is radio scrambling. Combined actions and torture are the mechanics we almost never manage to use.

The 3 worst things about Earth Reborn in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. The walls are sometimes invisible on the tiles.

2. The search deck is unbalanced, so that some items never get picked up as starter items, and some always do. (in our games, Titanium Claws and Kevlar are always picked, for instance).

3. The information on the cards is not laid out ideally. There's no tidy way to put a character card on the table with that character's equipment, and still be able to see all the relevant information, without spreading them all out. If the stats for weapons were listed in icon form along the left and bottom edge, it would be possible to tuck them under the character cards and still see what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Wide open sandbox-like game world so that each SAGS game creates a unique unpredictable story.

2. Creative decisions that matter and strongly affect game state and other players.

3. Strategic management of command points.

1. Tutorial scenarios.

2. Unbalancedness of many elements.

3. The lore.

4. Graphic design. (Doesn't really concern gameplay, mechanisms or immersion but I figured it's still worth a mention.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Graphic design. (Doesn't really concern gameplay, mechanisms or immersion but I figured it's still worth a mention.)

I do not agree. I think it is one of the best things about ER (although maybe not in top3).

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Sand box that brings a story out every game.

2. Interruption mechanic (ARO)

3. Introduced me to tactical miniatures gaming

1. Graphic design

2. Back story

3. Infinity does all of what this does and more and is a much better game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

How specifically, whats so good about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Quote:

How specifically, whats so good about it?

Oh, I agree with Phil. That mechanic renders every outcome of every skirmish unpredictable and because your ability to interrupt is very limited, depending on how much CP you have left and are willing to spent on duelling, the whole process adds tension and anxiety and highly deepens the tactical richness of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good things: The sheer amount of 'stuff' in it (torture and Jeff Deeler's incontinence to name two), the story, the obvious love and time given to its creation.
Bad things: the learning curve, scenarios take longer to set up than to play, and the problem I have with lots of games like this, too few combatants. When you start with only four or five models, losing a couple of them usually means the result is known already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Things:

1. Narrative detail of the system without being overly complex (IPS, tons of equipment, great interactive board, just the right amount of detail all over)

2. Sheer variety of content

3. Tile activation system

Worst Things:

1. Setup time. We want to play SAGS but we want to do it in much less time. It means ER doesn't get played very often. Larger tiles that were comprised of multiple rooms would go a long way.

2. Lack of character variety. Need more characters for sure so there are meaningful choices about who to field.

3. Better 3-4 player support. I'd love for an official free for all or team mode in SAGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Best Things:

Can you elaborate on this? I don't actually remember much about it, despite the bidding, interrupts, facing and order tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Worst Things:

1. Setup time. We want to play SAGS but we want to do it in much less time. It means ER doesn't get played very often. Larger tiles that were comprised of multiple rooms would go a long way.

Our solution to this is to make building the scenario a story-creating exercise, rather than a competitive duel. It's faster, and not less fun. I would love more scenarios with pre-built maps and preset (ideally vaguely balanced) objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
charlest wrote:
Best Things:

Can you elaborate on this? I don't actually remember much about it, despite the bidding, interrupts, facing and order tokens.

You draw a hand of tiles and assign them to characters. A character can get assigned multiple tiles but can't get activated a second time until all characters on your side have already activated.

I really enjoy systems that constrain your options in this way from a random draw, as opposed to something like Descent where it's do whatever you want. The tactical decision points here are more rich. I also like CP management and how you can pour multiple dice into a boosted attack.

The interrupt/bidding system and everything is just icing on that order tile cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in Descent you are limited by actions or "half-actions" + fatigue.
If you add in Tomb of Ice you gain feats which is "stuff that is sometimes available". If you like that you can take a look at the new DOOM The Board Game (2016).

I really liked that interrupts would fire once the figure is activated within your LOS, and/or once it moves into your LOS and/or the first time it is in melee range.

I am looking for a nice balance between ease and speed of play vs complexity and interesting decisions in terms of mechanics. Be it for actions or interrupts.

For actions I took a very thorough look at Super Fantasys dice allocation / press your luck. What do you think?

The bidding I'd like if it wasn't so slow. I really liked Earth Reborn but I couldn't get a lot of plays also because of that.

Any further things to look at in terms of skirmish / dungeon crawl that's really great about Earth Reborn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Well in Descent you are limited by actions or "half-actions" + fatigue.
If you add in Tomb of Ice you gain feats which is "stuff that is sometimes available". If you like that you can take a look at the new DOOM The Board Game (2016).

I really liked that interrupts would fire once the figure is activated within your LOS, and/or once it moves into your LOS and/or the first time it is in melee range.

I am looking for a nice balance between ease and speed of play vs complexity and interesting decisions in terms of mechanics. Be it for actions or interrupts.

For actions I took a very thorough look at Super Fantasys dice allocation / press your luck. What do you think?

The bidding I'd like if it wasn't so slow. I really liked Earth Reborn but I couldn't get a lot of plays also because of that.

Any further things to look at in terms of skirmish / dungeon crawl that's really great about Earth Reborn?

Descent and ER are definitely apples and Rolls Royces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ever try Descent 1st Edition, especially with Road to Legends?

And what's Zombiecide then ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Did you ever try Descent 1st Edition, especially with Road to Legends?

And what's Zombiecide then ?

That game is simplistic crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful possibilities!
Crap damage. Point blank machine gun has minor effect.
A tragedy.

And the theme: a cave war theme would be more appropriate. Then the damage would be realistic. Clubs stones flintknives and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a ratings comment for Earth Reborn several years back, and it has several good things to say but no bad ones. Having to come up with 3 of each sounds to me like a lame party game. The best thing about Earth Reborn may well be that it bears no resemblance whatsoever to party games.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to break down everything to a single element because it is hard not to cram almost everything in the "good" categories.

Good things:
1. Tile system. Makes decision making much more interesting and tactical and allows for some wow moments.

2. CP system. Works great as a resource and makes the interrupt/duel mechanic work excellent.

3. Theme, story setting, originality, character backgrounds, scenarios...ok those are more than one.

Bad things:

1. Few characters. It works but more would be better.

2. Map setup time. I personally don't have a real problem but objectively it is on the longer side.

3. Some small imbalances i.e. some character abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDRES PALACIOS
Colombia
BOGOTA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. the way to take actions, combined actions, CPS
2. The templates and LoS
3.Modular board and interaction with the scenario

1. Few characters, want expansions
2. A little long the setup, although it is a kind of a mini-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools

1. The variety of the game, even in SAGS (the multiple characters, items, areas, and rulesets)

2. The balance of the ruleset. You might think it's unbalanced, but the chaotic nature of the game, as well as how the game forces variety (like how you find items or point values for tiles) means that many games can still be turned around. Losing a character is horrible, but there's enough space on the board to do other things, like gain points on a tile, or raise zombies.

3. Tie between nice minis, and all the hype plays I've had playing this game.... by myself.

1. The immense breadth of the rules. I actually liked a lot of the rules, but a few of them got outta hand (interrogation and capturing comes to mind). It feels like the rules were too confusing that even a veteran of the game would have to have a manual at his side at all times. That, and, many people weren't even playing the game to its full potential. It's sad for me to say it, but board gamers weren't ready for Earth Reborn. I sure was, but as far as I know, the amount of groups of players actually getting to SAGS is abysmally low.

2. The box organizer, while a good idea in theory, sucked in practice. Everything would fall out of their dividers on the road.

3. The iconography was dumb. It's a bad fad in board gaming in general when they put a bunch of little pictures to explain what a card does, when they could eat the manufacturing costs and simply print different language versions of the card. Earth Reborn is a complex game. Go ahead and take more room off the card from the graphic, just give me an accurate description of the item, because the page describing items in the back was probably my most frequent flip-to. Even the room tiles should have had a short blurb on what they do (although some take many pages, like the radio room)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.