Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dungeon-crawlers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Level 7 [Omega Protocol] in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Level 7 [Omega Protocol] in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No solo AI = Only bad I can think of right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I like the theme.
Very detailed and in depth.
Quality components.

So detailed it takes a long time to play especially if there is a lot of talking.
No more expansions or support from their manufacturer. :-(
Lots of components means fiddlyness and long set up/tear down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm known for loving this game, so I'll try my best to whittle it down to 3:

1. Open Information: I can't stress how absolutely brilliant this is for a game like this. All players involved know everything at the start of a mission: all the commandos' skills are known, the Overseer's dashboard is known, the whole map setup is known, all the different combinations of Room cards are known, the different door tiles are known. Everything. And yet, due to how the Room Cards and Door Tiles mechanics work, there's still a sense of the unknown. You don't know where that elevator room is and you have to go explore to find it. Absolutely brilliant.

2. Adrenaline: Another beautiful aspect of this game, the Overseer's actions are limited (or expanded) based on the Commandos' actions. It's such a great balancing feature, and makes perfect thematic sense (if the commandos are rushing through, they are making more noise, and more stuff happens to them).

3. Overseer Dashboard: I love this so much more than cards (like you see in Doom/Descent) for 2 reasons: 1) everyone knows what potential danger there is in the game. It's not a guessing, "Does he have card XYZ?" and 2) the game allows for multi-turn exhaust based on the cost of the ability/refresh. More powerful abilities simply can't be used every turn (unlike a hand of cards that the player could stock up on and unload all at once). And since the usage of the dashboard and the amount of adrenaline the Overseer has is all public knowledge, it adds another layer to the strategy on both sides.

Worst:

1. LOS: I hesitate to put this as a "worst" because I actually like the LOS of L7OP. But it's one issue comes up on the forums a lot (the 'boomerang' effect) so I figure I'd list it as one of the 'worst' aspects.

2. Miniatures: While I don't think the minis are that bad, they definitely aren't that great either. Very prone to awkward bending, and there's not that many of them for such an expensive game. Semi bland tiles can also be put in this category.

3. Price: A lot of people complain about the price ($90 USD) and considering the few number of miniatures, I don't blame them. Other games seem to offer more physical content for the same price. However, I don't tend to complain because the quality of the game is phenomenal. Now I just wish the setting was in a fantasy world

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do actually consider implementing a similar thing to the L7OP LOS. When you take away the cover bonus (just because Streamline) it boils down to:

Move spaces in one quarter of a windrose/compass direction, take the shortest path. Single path no block = LOS, multiple paths and at least one not blocked = LOS.*

The next best tactical LOS I know (e.g. not tile based) is SWIAs and it would fill a whole paragraph ... and then you cannot place line-walls - if you do it breaks AFAIR.

Could it be that the L7OP LOS is confusing because it differentiates between LOS and distance and both have really different diagonals-rules?

*In the system I am considering, you would also count range at the same time, 3 points diagonally, 2 orthogonally (approximation a diagonal, aka squareroot, of a square is about 1.414, so multiplied by 2 (https://www.google.com/search?q=square+root+of+2*2 ) it becomes ~2.83 ... close to 3, same goes for orthogonal, 1*2 = 2... so that approximation should be easy enough to play radius based movement and distance counting on a grid vs hex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in SWIA though you don't get "cover bonus", yuo are either in LOS or out of it. Gears of War gives cover bonus, but it's an area based game, and there are different types of mechanics you can apply for area based games.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Moleschi
msg tools
The 3 best things about Level 7 [Omega Protocol] in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. The theme. The missions are fun and give you clear goals. But when you're playing you actually feel like you're underground and are worried what's behind each door.

2. I really like how this game forces the commando's to work together and plan their moves. Whether its movement, stance cards, which doors to open, everyone is involved in every decision.

3. The skills and unique flavor to each commando. It's a lot of fun playing a commando and knowing you bring something unique to the team, that helps everyone in some way.

The 3 worst things about Level 7 [Omega Protocol] in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Setup time, and the map tiles. The map tiles are actually the worst, great artwork but it is so infuriating that every time you touch a tile the whole map slides around. This could likely be solved using a tablecloth of some sort, but it would still shuffle around if you're not super delicate when moving models, etc.

2. Rules. There is a lot of them, reference cards help though. After a few playthroughs I still find myself holding the rulebook in my hands as we play. Also, each mission usually adds a few rules on top of that, which can be easy to forget while playing. (ie: monsters have different health, abilities, etc.) The LOS rule is a mind boggler at first, but once you use it a few times, it starts to make sense.

3. Not a knock on the game, but it's hard to get to the table often enough. It's such a blast to play, but you really need the right group of people to play.

Overall the game is awesome. Every time I have played I have had a great time, same for the other players. I would say the best thing about this game overall is the theme, and being sucked into that. Having played both sides I think the game is more enjoyable as the Commando's because you get to work with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general would you consider it good if the Overseer worked with say one Commando in secret? This would eliminate any true alphaplayery as well.

Question would be why/how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colossos colossos
msg tools
Love:
1. Love the "Alien" theme.
2. Cover, spawning, team-work, feeling like a commando,... It just all works very well.
3. Overall very solid solid game and rules. Cool mechanics ! The best overlord I've seen in any game.

Less love:
1. The tiles of the map are slippery and slide around the table when accidentaly hit. This is really annoying. Would a table cloth help?
2. Hard to play with 2 players as one player will need to command 3 commandos and there are a lot of special abilities/modifiers for each one.
3. Too long of setup time (I don't mind setting games up but a lot of people do). For me it's sometimes part of the fun. Ofcourse I see this problem with any type of dungeon crawler (except Claustrophobia :-)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.