Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dungeon-crawlers!

this is not intended to be a thread full of bashes or discussion. I can't stop you, but my intention is simply to gather your opinions regarding game-play, mechanics, immersion etc.

Please try to find something for both sides. E.g. not only name things you dislike but also you like, nor only name things like like but none that you dislike. Think hard !

You can name more but should try to name at least 3 each, on the good and bad side!

Here is a template, thanks for participating!:

The 3 best things about Doom: The Boardgame in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

The 3 worst things about Doom: The Boardgame in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's my list, but be aware that I always played Doom with the expansion deck and rules, plus infinite ammo for pistols and the "pick 4 keep 3" skill cards.

The 3 best things about Doom: The Boardgame in terms of game-play, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Never had a play without a funny, epic, heroic or cheesy memorable moment, and without founding the game fun in general.

2. Playing as the Invader has a "take that!" flavour that I always enjoyed (well, my whole gaming group like that kind of ..."mood", some other group can hate it)

3. Always played as "single missions", i never cared about replaying the few with the better map layout. All we want is to see how much far the Marines can go before being fragged too much.

The 3 worst things about Doom: The Boardgame in terms of gameplay, mechanics and immersion are:

1. Despite there's some continuity between the scenarios, imho Doom lacks a proper campaign mode.

2. Of the four orders you can "prepare", you'll always picks THAT ONE. Some better thougt kind of order would have added some variation

3. The whole difficulty of the game is determined by the Invader player skills only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best:

1. Exploration: I love how you explore each map, reveal as you go, events triggering to tell a deeper story. Doom is probably the best at doing this of all the dungeon crawlers I've played.

2. True to Source Material: I still remember the first time I saw the game on the shelf at my local boardgame store and was puzzled. "A boardgame of a video game? Why would I get this when I can just play Doom3?" The pictures on the back convinced me to buy it, since it looked a lot like Space Hulk (my all time favorite), but I still had my doubts. Then after my first playthrough, I was shocked to realize that it truly felt like I was playing a map of Doom3. The game really captures the video game quite nicely, so immersion is top here.

3. Tactical Mechanics: Just great, solid in this game. Nothing truly revolutionary, but it all plays well. The actions marines can take are classic dungeon crawl like tactics (move, attack, guard, etc).

Worst:

1. Exploration: As much as I love it, I also hate it. It's very impractical. It takes a lot of time to setup, breaking the flow of the game. And it ruins replayability. The awesome feeling you get the first time you play through is pretty much lost on any playthrough afterwards.

2. Overpowered Invader: The Invader player plays pretty much on auto-pilot. His moves are extremely obvious, and especially with the original Invader Deck, to the point that it's frustrating for the marine players and frankly boring for the invader player.

3. Clunky Mechanics: Some of the mechanics are a little clunky. For example, a marine player declaring what he's doing at the start of a turn is always forgotten by the player, and instead wants to just "flow" (i.e. sees that he wants to move so does. Then wants to attack, etc. Not declare, "I'm need to move and attack, which one is that? Oh yeah, Advance. Um, that's what I do.").

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian V.
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. It's a total shooter. A killing spree. Not cheesy bows and arrows, but big fucking guns. Just as fun as Descent, but no Terrishmoth.
2. Easy and accessible, without being too shallow.
3. Awesome when you enjoy rolling dice.

1. Clunky like uh, hell. Takes a long time to set up.
2. Buggy and imbalanced (depending on the number of marines. Interestingly, balance shifts towards the Invader with 3 marines, and it's too easy for the marine when in 1v1).
3. Tactically limited. No terrain effects, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've played just the base game.

1. The feeling of being trapped in a space station full of demonic monsters is well achieved.

2. The illustrations on cards and board pieces and the miniatures models are pretty well done, specially for a game published more than ten years ago, all of which help the thematic immersion.

3. The rules are simple to grasp. From the marine players perspective it's like playing a video game of the 90s, but in slow-motion. From the invader player perspective it's like being the "programmed AI", a devastating one by the way! So, the mechanics are pretty simple, but allow for some interesting tactical desitions and strategic approaches to the marine players.

1. Usually, the time needed to "build" (reveal) unexplored areas it's a pain in the ass 'cause the scenarios are revealed and mounted in "real-time" during the game.

2. The marines have a very limited "pool" of choices during the game. There are basically 3 types of actions that marine players can perform during their turn (the same, over and over again) and a set of fixed abilities (from marine cards). I would have liked to have a more versatile marine player's turn structure and different types of abilities (more dynamic and intricated ones) allowing for distinct paths to victory.

3. The game isn't well balanced at all: if the invader player is experienced and puts all the effort into crushing the marines, there's very little they can do to help the day. When I play this game I apply some house-rules plus the changes included on the expansion to make it more enjoyable for the marine players (by the way, I consider another flaw of the game the "fact" that the owner of the game will have to run the role of the invader player, almost invariably).

---

I must admit that I like this game, it's only that I would have liked it to provide more options for the marine players in order to make their turns more meaningful. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your positive and negative thoughts about the armor being essentially a hit-barrier that you have to pierce through each time VS Descent 1st Edition where you only have to pierce through once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.