Jamaica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Everyone rolls, then choses a card, then assigns the dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
How do you think the game would work if you'd get rid of the first player marker, and isntead everyone would get to roll the dice on their turn, choose a card and then assign the dice order.

Or a slightly less altered version: keep the first player marker, but allow the players to change the order of the dice rolled by the captain.

I think it would make the game a bit less random and more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion but that would change the game dramatically for me. The way it works now seems to give me and my group a positive experience when playing it even though I always lose and would love a mechanic that changes that outcome, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mohasz wrote:

I think it would make the game a bit less random and more interesting.

I am not sure how adding more dice rolls would make it less random, but I think I know what you mean.

The first effect of such a change would be to lengthen the game because it is not just a die roll, but it is the thinking through all of the options of how you could play that roll with the available cards. Under current game rules, this happens simultaneously for all players. With individual rolls, it would drag out the game, unless you are suggesting that each player have their own dice and roll and decide simultaneously, but to do that, you would need to keep the first player marker.

You "slightly less altered version" would be more feasible, and I think would provide you the variation you are seeking.

If you had different die rolls for each player, you would also create a wide random variation between the player who rolls snake eyes and the one who rolls box cars. That is a huge difference, and in the current game, both players are taking advantage of, or being tortured by, the same roll. In individual rolls, one or more players are the victims of the die, whereas other players may prosper by die rolls. (At least that's the way it works in Catan for me.)

To me, the current gameplay is sensational in forcing all players to deal with the same die roll combination with similar but different cards to choose from. In terms of randomness, it makes battles more predictable, as you know whether another player might land on the same space as you.

I have played games that were close until the end and I have played games that were over after the first three rolls because one player got such a good start. More often, one or two players get early setbacks that are hard to recover from. I have also seen players come from behind to win. These are all features of the game, and I don't think either variant you have suggested makes the game better. That said, using your second suggestion to give players the options of using the die in any order would make it easier for players to avoid catastrophe or to achieve success, and if you need that to make the game more fun, then I would go that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.