Hide
3 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bear/Mechaniker starting powers and Missiles (No Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B W
msg tools
My play group choose the two dice-related starting powers for Die Mechaniker and the Enclave of the Bear ("If your attack roll is a natural three of a kind/double six..."). How do these interact with missiles? We have just had game 6, and three players have two missiles each so it's quickly becoming important. (First three packets are open, but that shouldn't matter for this question.)

There are two particular cases that we see:
1) If a Mechaniker force gets attacked and rolls 6,1 on defence, can they spend a missile to turn the 1 into a 6 and activate the power? Or spend two missiles on any defence?
2) If a Bear force attacks and rolls a 6, can they spend two missiles to make it into a triple-6 and kill everything?

We've been playing yes to both, because the word "natural" seems to refer to the dice, and missiles explicitly change what you rolled on the dice (contrasting with the use of the word "modify" elsewhere). Also, without this the abilities would hardly ever actually activate (1/36 for Mechaniker, and around 1/72 for Bear). But after reading various threads on this forum I'm starting to have doubts about our rules interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
As written in the rules the ability has to trigger before using missiles. The natural roll needs to be either doubles or triples. "Natural" means before ANY modifiers. The requirement of winning part of the fight can be satisfied by throwing a missile.

Though, a lot of groups I've played in used the Bear ability the other way because the ability is, as you said, rather weak otherwise.

Realistically, the Mech power seems weak, until you realize that now ANY pair of defenders can become an immovable bulwark. It's active any time they defend with 2 troops for the whole game.

By contrast, the Bear ability often triggers when you would have won the fight anyways. And letting people use missiles to trigger it, while powerful, is quite an expensive way to win a fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Answer: Using a nuke to change a dice roll is unnatural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.