Tiny Epic Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Online implementation of the TEQ Print&Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I had a work-related excuse to create a small but complex web app. And what would fit that better than a board game? So I implemented the Print&Play-version of Tiny Epic Quest, available online here:

blog.krawaller.se/teq/

As befitting a P&P it is not very pretty and likely has some sharp corners, but as far as I've tested it it seems to work, implementing all aspects of the P&P rules.

So if you haven't bothered with printing the P&P but are still curious to try the game out (which you should since the gameplay is awesome, in my book by far the best TE game), give it a spin!

EDIT: Repeating the clarification further down in the thread - the app is made and published in support of the campaign, so once the campaign is over it'll be taken down. Maybe it'll reappear further down the road, who knows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice job !
I didn't have the courage to print out the PnP, but this was perfect for quickly testing it out with my son.

It runs very smoothly. We encountered only a few bugs with the hit die : once we had only one "hit" die and the sword, the game offered us to stab a goblin with 2 hearts for 1 hit + 1 power. So far so good, but then we were able to do it again for the other 2-hearted side, whereas the hit had already been spent.
Another time my son got offered to use a hit die when he had already defeated his goblin and decided to rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinarbre wrote:
...we were able to do it again for the other 2-hearted side, whereas the hit had already been spent.
Another time my son got offered to use a hit die when he had already defeated his goblin and decided to rest.

The fighting-while-resting has been fixed (really silly of me), but can't seem to be able to recreate the one where you can reuse the already spent die. Will do some more digging.

Thank you for taking the time to report this!

Edit: stab bug found and fixed. That was a devious one that I had completely missed throughout my testing. Thank you again for letting me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this. I suppose a 1920x1080 resolution is preferred? I have to do a lot of scrolling on my laptop, which isn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Thanks for making this. I suppose a 1920x1080 resolution is preferred? I have to do a lot of scrolling on my laptop, which isn't...

I'm playing/developing myself on a rather small laptop, but what helps is to make frequent use of the browser zooming feature, switching from a birds-eye view and full scale.

Although I'm still beginning to ponder on whether the default scale isn't a bit too big. I'll have a think and maybe shrink it down a bit!

EDIT: Ok, I went ahead and shrank the board to 75% of what it was (quick fix, won't work in Firefox or Opera). Makes more sense, better to have people zoom in when they need to see some detail instead of having to frequently zoom out to see what the heck is going on. This is much better, thanks for making me realise that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:

I've been playing this on my phone!

Nice little project you got working here. I'm enjoying it a lot. I've encountered a few bugs, but nothing that makes the game unplayable, just things that didn't fit the rules or that didn't grant rewards.

- I know the PnP shows the dice order being: Magic - Power - Damage, but in this post here, it was officially changed to Damage - Power - Magic.

- The quest "Guard the King's Road" doesn't seem to want to complete for me no matter which way I try to complete it.

- The quest "Protect the Ports from the Twin Krakens" didn't complete for me when I had two meeples adjacent to each other north/south on one of the side spurs of the map. I think this would still count towards the reward requirements?

Those are the only 3 things I can remember right now, I'll keep checking for more, but still trying to learn the game, so often it's rules I'm misinterpreting.

Great webapp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I must say just how incredibly impressive this effort is! It seems to work great on my iPhone 6plus as well making it an excellent option for on the go gaming with a friend.

I hope Gamelyn observes how this implementation can only help spread hype for the game and support the availability of this.

I also hope that once the rule set is finalized for solo play you could one day implement that as well!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I've been playing this on my phone!

Ouch, really? I tried it myself, but got super frustrated when the command bar also shrinks/grows as I zoom in/out. I totally bailed on making it work on mobile, blaming the huge footprint.

Braffe wrote:
- I know the PnP shows the dice order being: Magic - Power - Damage, but in this post here, it was officially changed to Damage - Power - Magic.

Inbetween that somewhere they said Magic-Damage-Power, which is what I went with. I kind of like the new setup though, less swingy and more predictable. Might change my implementation to follow that instead!

EDIT: Went ahead and implemented the latest ruling, Damage-Power-Magic. Definitely more forgiving, but as stated above, also less random.

Braffe wrote:
- The quest "Guard the King's Road" doesn't seem to want to complete for me no matter which way I try to complete it.

In my current implementation, you must be standing on 3 adjacent road squares (meaning on different but adjoining map cards). Gamelyn has yet to clarify the official intent of the rule, but I'm beginning to think my interpretation is way too hash. Presumably you could stand on any 3 different locations along the road. Should probably change my implementation to that, but I've been holding out hoping for a ruling from Gamelyn.

EDIT: Went ahead and changed it. Now the quest resolves as long as all three heroes stand anywhere along the same road on three different locations (not including their home castle).

Braffe wrote:
- The quest "Protect the Ports from the Twin Krakens" didn't complete for me when I had two meeples adjacent to each other north/south on one of the side spurs of the map. I think this would still count towards the reward requirements?

My interpretation is that "opposite shores in the same rows or column" means on opposite sides of the island (so 3 or 4 squares away depending on where you are exactly).

Braffe wrote:
Great webapp!

Cheers, and thank you for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- It can be hard to touch the meeples at times, but I've had no real issues besides having to zoom here and there at times. So, I'm happy with the mobile view of it.

- The magic-damage-power can be swingy. I rolled 3 magic, and 2 damage, and promptly died. Maybe this is why they changed it as bad luck can hit you hard. Whether you change it now or when a new PnP version comes out (to make sure they're set with the change) works for me, as I said, the game is nicely playable as you have it.

- I'm not entirely sure either. There is obvious ambiguity between a map 'card' and 'space'. Hopefully they can clear these up. I'm pretty sure I had my people on 3 separate cards before with no quest popup. I could be mistaken though. I tested it out just now and it's working when I have each meeple on a separate card, but having 2 on 1 card and 1 on another doesn't register (i did clear cache). Still, I can complete it at least

- That could be the case, maybe the shores are too close. Works for me though.

Great way to learn the rules using this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
- The magic-damage-power can be swingy. I rolled 3 magic, and 2 damage, and promptly died. Maybe this is why they changed it as bad luck can hit you hard. Whether you change it now or when a new PnP version comes out (to make sure they're set with the change) works for me, as I said, the game is nicely playable as you have it.

The implementation now does Damage-Power-Magic. Much less random, much nicer!

Braffe wrote:
I tested it out just now and it's working when I have each meeple on a separate card, but having 2 on 1 card and 1 on another doesn't register (i did clear cache).

Whoops, I was sloppy, accidentally compared cards instead of locations. Thank you for your diligence! Fixed now, so now it will solve even if two units are on the same card but different locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great. I've found a few bugs as well.

When the quest "Attend an ally's coronation" is in play, it didn't register that the condition had been met to fulfill it.

I had one of my people equipped with a bow and he was on a space in between two goblins. The first time he was able, he attacked one of the adjacent goblins. However, every subsequent roll with hit dice, I could not select the adjacent goblins to attack them. They were highlighted but not selectable.

Thanks for making this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested both and both are working great! Thanks for the quick replies and updates David!

EDIT:
pikkusiili2000 wrote:
When the quest "Attend an ally's coronation" is in play, it didn't register that the condition had been met to fulfill it.

This quest works for me, but I realized that both of your meeples have to go to the same castle (at first i tried sending them to separate ones. Did you send them to separate castles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. They were in seperate castles. I didn't realize they had to be in the same one.
I think I figured out the bow issue too.

Thanks again for the implementation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pikkusiili2000 wrote:
I think I figured out the bow issue too.

Hmm, but if they were highlighted but not selectable, then something is definitely wrong. I couldn't recreate this myself, so if you encounter it again, please poke me with the details!

The bow is a bit tricky in that, as I guess you realised, it won't work from inside a temple or if the target goblin is fighting a hero from another player. But as noted above, highlight without selectability means I screwed something up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't in a temple. The issue was that I was only getting one hit die and didn't realize that I needed the legendary sword to be able to attack and use power to make up the difference since the buttons to do so are always visible. The first time I had two hit dice so I got the shot. I'll check and see if I run into anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

It seems like the first player token just rotates to the next player in line on each day. According to the rules, the start player for each day is the player who rested LAST during the previous night phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pikkusiili2000 wrote:
The issue was that I was only getting one hit die and didn't realize that I needed the legendary sword to be able to attack and use power to make up the difference since the buttons to do so are always visible.

Ah, right, I see! Yeah, in many cases the visible but disabled buttons are just confusing. I should probably add some more logic there, making it more sane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
It seems like the first player token just rotates to the next player in line on each day. According to the rules, the start player for each day is the player who rested LAST during the previous night phase.

Doh, that's embarrassing, I completely forgot all about fixing that! The current erroneous behaviour is a residue from my very first initial prototype. Putting fixing that onto the list!

EDIT: Correct first player passing now implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Honduras
flag msg tools
Wow man this is awesome .!!!! Im hooked XD. Hope you update the visuals when the PnP is out .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome! havent checked the rules for clarification, but when i beat 2 temples in the same night (for the shield quest) it only counted the first. Once again, not sure if this was a bug, or just my mistake.

thank you so much for making this. backed the kickstarter (first ever) and am definitely looking forward to having this on the table. until then, this version will make me quite happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is great. Thanks for making it public!

EDIT: Not a bug, I just thought my maximum was higher than it really is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
Very awesome! havent checked the rules for clarification, but when i beat 2 temples in the same night (for the shield quest) it only counted the first. Once again, not sure if this was a bug, or just my mistake.

This is following the game rules. Temples are completed at the end of the night and one has to complete before the other. They can't both be completed on the same night to count for credit on one legendary item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you done any of their other pnp games? Or reached out to them to make an 'official' online port to say iOS/android devices. Bit iOS for sure! Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, really did find a bug this time. Same as Dr. UDO, if I have a hero with the bow, goblins I can attack with it are highlighted, but I can't actually select them to use the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totihno wrote:
Hope you update the visuals when the PnP is out .

The current plan is strictly to support the Kickstarter campaign, so when the campaign is done I'll take the app down.

Then further down the road, when the dust has settled from the inevitable intense post-campaign rules updates following backer feedback, we'll see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.