Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vassal rules seem like a bit of a hassle to me...I'm not really sure what they add to the game other than some administrivia?

Bishops moving onto an empire card are also said to be standing on its vassals.

When an empire is conquered, its vassals are discarded (I guess back to the stack).

I couldn't really find any other rule effects of being vassaled...am I missing something? Are there any other game effects that justify the extra rules weight (as opposed to just adding a newly conquered empire to your tableau after a successful campaign)? Are the two effects I listed above critical to game balance? If not I'm kind of inclined to house rule them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
It helps prevent a stronghold empire (Ottomans, for example) from expanding willy-nilly. By stashing/attaching all the conquered kingdoms to the Suzerain, it gives a single point of failure/weakness for other players to attack, that could cause a player's entire tableau to crumble. Likewise, it gives an opportunity to send a bishop to silence all 2-3 Campaign Ops attacked the the Suzerain-Vassal stack.

Historically, there was more interaction between Suzerain-Vassals, but the rules became far too complex (more so than they currently are), and the decision was to streamline it a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.