Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vote to exile little confusing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Salmela
msg tools
Hi there!

Im little confused how vote to exile works.

I give you example. If 3 player game is one betrayer. Betrayer begin vote to exile one player, another player vote with betrayer that exile another player, so vote is succesful the player is exiled.

Now we come the part which is confusing. In colony is now only 2 players. How vote to exile go now? If betrayer starts again vote to exile another player, and betrayer thump up exiling, player who is in colony cannot vote, because he is target of that vote, player who is exiled earlier cannot vote because exiled players cannot participate voting, if im right? So is vote to exile succesful only one player voting?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't the person being exiled get a vote??? I don't think that is in the rules.

After that all ties are broken by the first player.

Just my 2 cents: I don't play with a possible betrayer with fewer than 4 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With two people left the first player basically decides if the vote passes or fails. A smart betrayer will wait for a double turn to start the exile process in a three player game, because it assures both locals are exiled.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shagoosty wrote:
With two people left the first player basically decides if the vote passes or fails. A smart betrayer will wait for a double turn to start the exile process in a three player game, because it assures both locals are exiled.


That is the main reason I won't play with less than 4 with a betrayer. I don't believe that type of play/move is within the spirit of the game, and the reason they changed the rules for passing the first player marker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Shagoosty wrote:
A smart betrayer will wait for a double turn to start the exile process in a three player game, because it assures both locals are exiled.

How does it "assure" both non-betrayers (I assume that's what you meant by "locals", or am I wrong?) are exiled?

A smart non-betrayer would immediately be very suspicious of anyone who calls for an exile vote when the accuser either is currently, or is about to become, the first player (and should the accuser fail, it's likely they'd be subject to an exile vote against themselves soon after).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
That is the main reason I won't play with less than 4 with a betrayer. I don't believe that type of play/move is within the spirit of the game, and the reason they changed the rules for passing the first player marker.


I disagree. If you are playing a game of Werewolf, or another betrayer game, have 3 players left and you vote out the wrong player-- you lose. The same thing happens here, except it takes one extra turn to do so. Thematically, you helped him usurp the colony.

Every betrayer game plays better with more players. DoW plays better with 4 or 5 players. If you are going to play with 3, then you better be careful voting out a betrayer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Salmela
msg tools
So mean this, that exiled player can also vote on vote to exile?

Sounds little weird that player who has exiled the colony, can still vote on vote to exile.

How you are played this kind of situations?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spattu wrote:
So mean this, that exiled player can also vote on vote to exile?

Sounds little weird that player who has exiled the colony, can still vote on vote to exile.

How you are played this kind of situations?


From the rulebook, page 14:

"The exiled player cannot vote."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spattu wrote:
So mean this, that exiled player can also vote on vote to exile?

Sounds little weird that player who has exiled the colony, can still vote on vote to exile.

How you are played this kind of situations?



An already exiled player cannot vote. But during the voting process the player in question gets to vote.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
Lumpfuggit wrote:
That is the main reason I won't play with less than 4 with a betrayer. I don't believe that type of play/move is within the spirit of the game, and the reason they changed the rules for passing the first player marker.


I disagree. If you are playing a game of Werewolf, or another betrayer game, have 3 players left and you vote out the wrong player-- you lose. The same thing happens here, except it takes one extra turn to do so. Thematically, you helped him usurp the colony.

Every betrayer game plays better with more players. DoW plays better with 4 or 5 players. If you are going to play with 3, then you better be careful voting out a betrayer.


Having 3 players left, in a game that starts with 8+, is quite a bit different from starting off with 3 from the get go. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Salmela
msg tools
Lumpfuggit wrote:
spattu wrote:
So mean this, that exiled player can also vote on vote to exile?

Sounds little weird that player who has exiled the colony, can still vote on vote to exile.

How you are played this kind of situations?



An already exiled player cannot vote. But during the voting process the player in question gets to vote.


Ok, now i get it.

Thanks for the answering you all!
Exciting moments with the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:
Having 3 players left, in a game that starts with 8+, is quite a bit different from starting off with 3 from the get go. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference.


No need to be sorry-- one game is designed for 8, where you must vote off a player each turn and in doing so gather the information on who the traitor is. It forces people to react, talk, accuse, and reveals information. The other game is made for 4 players, where each turn the players add to crisis, and the betrayer's card tells you what stack it is from, and the crisis forces players to react, speak, defend, accuse, etc.

In both games there comes a point mathematically where if you are wrong, the traitor wins. In both games you have better parsed through all the previous data you've gathered correctly. In both games, that one vote will now determine the game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely true that in a 3 player game, everyone should be extremely careful with exiling. In that case, I would never vote to exile someone unless I were very positive that the target of the exile is a betrayer. And since it can be very hard to be that positive with good players, I would mostly just never go along with a vote to exile in that case. It's just too dangerous.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.