Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Bendarjevskiy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Last time we have played the game, we have ran out of the 0/1 Train Cars... We've ran through the rules couple of times, but couldn't find anything on the topic, are the train cars hard limit or not.
There are 50 0/1 Train Cars. With 4 players 8 cars go / line, so 16 cars / player -> theoretically 64 Train Cars could be needed.

Could anybody advice on the topic please?

Thank you!
Anton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you upgrade from a zero to a one you flip the card. When you upgrade from 1 to 2 you put the 0/1 card back and place a 2/4 where it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonapart wrote:
There are 50 0/1 Train Cars. With 4 players 8 cars go / line, so 16 cars / player -> theoretically 64 Train Cars could be needed.
I agree that the rules aren't clear on this point. It also seems possible to run into the limit.

As an extreme (but simple) example, if everyone ignores what's printed on the cards and just takes "upgrade a train car 1 step" (instead using it to add a 0-value), places the "move locomotive 2 spaces" (to get 2 coins per scoring) and "2 coin" mailcar cards, and uses all of that to just place 0-value train cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
It might be possible to run out trains if everybody tries to run them out. It shouldn't be an issue if players try to win the game.

If you place your 10th car in a train you get upgrades immediately - two at the beginning. And usually there is only one such player with a mission for 8 x car of level 1. Everyone else will try to get to level 12 faster, thus not using every upgrade for 0 -> 1.

Furthermore, to assume everyone is going to length 10 for both trains first, is also quite theoretical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
...just takes "upgrade a train car 1 step" (instead using it to add a 0-value)...

I'd never considered this. Is it possible to use the "upgrade a train card 1 step" to get another "0" train?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it is possible for a "?" upgrade. But I don't think you will do it that often, as you can always buy a "0" train and upgrades are harder to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Bendarjevskiy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies!

Yes, we do make the vagons available after upgrade, but somehow still ran into this issue.

It sounds theoretical, but we ran out of 0/1 vagons. Looks like creators simply didn't put enough of them. As I mentioned, theoretically you will need 64 of them and there are only 50 available. Problem is that there is nothing in the rulebook about it - if the vagons are unlimited or that you should be careful to watch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
It might be possible to run out trains if everybody tries to run them out. It shouldn't be an issue if players try to win the game.

If you place your 10th car in a train you get upgrades immediately - two at the beginning. And usually there is only one such player with a mission for 8 x car of level 1. Everyone else will try to get to level 12 faster, thus not using every upgrade for 0 -> 1.

Furthermore, to assume everyone is going to length 10 for both trains first, is also quite theoretical.

Exactly that theory turned into practice tonight in our first game ... not a big problem, because the fourth player didn't want to extend his trains anymore, and we agreed that he might use just any other card (leftover action cards of previous rounds) as a substitute, just in case.
Still, some official statement on this would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think IT will happen with more experience. Running 1 train quickly to 10 might be strong for 1 or 2 players to compete at Konstantinopel or fulfill that mission. But both trains and all Players? Seems tat no one was interested in building rails or missions or both kind of doublers. With doublers for trains (VIP) you don't have to run far, but want to Upgrade quickly instead. All of this seems quite strong when more than 1 player goes crazy about 0 and 1 trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am repeating here my answer to a post in another thread:

Well, awkward or not, it happened. Maybe because this was our first game and we did not play very efficiently, though I wouldn't underline the latter.
Everybody was eager to build their trains at full length first, and upgraded relatively few car(d)s, but these up to the maximum of 12. And it seems to me that's not even a bad way to play it - the winner ended up with well above 150 points, the others following in rather short distances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
lucyfer wrote:
Still, some official statement on this would be welcome.

In my last game, we all added a lot of 0 cars to get the locomotive tiles for their bonuses and scoring points. We ran out of 0/1 cars.

We really miss an official statement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened in our game last night as well. Didn't affect the victory in the end but still left us wondering what to do in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the official answer by HIG by now:

They say to "borrow" cars from any "safe" parts of a train, thus creating gaps to be filled as soon as cars are available again, which shouldn't last long.

Another way, not official, is to simply take "7" or "12" cars instead; as cars to the right cannot be higher than the left car, it is obvious that these are "0" cards for the time being. Again, these should be replaced asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.