GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,049 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tips for scenario 1? [spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The game, overall, feels quite tight. Putting the chaos bag aside, the game at standard level can be unforgiving. I was wondering what is the best strategy for Scenario 1. I was attempting it with Roland and Agnes. Obviously at the high level, Roland should investigate and fight, Agnes should evade. But it requires discovering 10 clues total and then apply 10 damage to the priest. There are 3+7+10 rounds potentially, but practically 2 less, as you will probably draw treacheries speeding it up and then shuffling the discard back into the deck. Applying 10 dmg requires, ideally, about 5 perfect attacks dealing 2 dmg. What's worse, the agenda then pulls ghouls towards hallway/parlor. It's not uncommon to have some ghouls still not defeated at the end of round there, bumping the doom by 1-2, making the time even shorter. And you not only have to investigate, but also fight/evade random enemies and finally prepare some cards for the final fight. Then there will be random tests on the way, that you have to take seriously and commit cards, as otherwise you may end up with taking as much as 3 dmg/horror. If you don't have an ally to soak, that can be 50% of your limit, or even more.

I mean, it feel like it depends more on successful encounter / own deck arrangement vs actual play decisions. Of course, there are some, no doubt about that. But in general:

- cards are less reliable in aiding the test, as you simply might not draw relevant symbols.
- best cards are the ones that allow you to boost your test skill for resources, they rely only on resources (easy to gain) and scale better

In core set, investigators have 1-2 of these cards, concerning different stats. This means that if you don't draw it early, you're screwed and at mercy of the random bag of crap.

My main impression is that the rule stating that you have to add more doom per ghoul is way too harsh for first scenario. Having mobs on you is already severely punishing.

So, how to get better at this? I understand that you can game a little bit around the timing of advancing your act deck - i.e. you way to summon priest when you're ready, not before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tips for scenario 1?
Seems you are missing a SPOILERS tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All good points! The recognition that Skill cards are great but random and situational, vs. the reliable but less bursty Skill Talents is one that it appears takes some players a while to get to. Personally, I think they're both useful.

But the only way to get better is to practice, no matter what it is you want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this problem as well. I have tried twice to win the scenario and have not. I think next time I will use different investigators. But I am curious for advice as well..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:

But the only way to get better is to practice, no matter what it is you want to do.

Practice what, though? I have years of experience playing LCG games and that includes LOTR. I'm sure I can recognize some common patterns and mechanics you have to be aware of. I also accept that each game has its own subtleties, that you have to digest individually. So what is to learn here? What is "the ideal" way of going through scenario 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Gaffa wrote:

Practice what, though? I have years of experience playing LCG games and that includes LOTR. I'm sure I can recognize some common patterns and mechanics you have to be aware of. I also accept that each game has its own subtleties, that you have to digest individually. So what is to learn here? What is "the ideal" way of going through scenario 1?

Considering the game is a card game with additional randomization from a token draw, there's no ideal way of doing anything due to randomness. What you can do is learn to do the most you can with whatever the board state and your hand allows you to each turn.

For instance, to progress through The Gathering your party, regardless of size, will need to clear out either the Attic or the Cellar, and then get half the clues from the other. Do you choose to clear out the second location to get the extra Victory point? Or is the Agenda too hot and you don't think you can afford the risk? Those are only choices you can make and they'll change each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
These are "win more" choices. I'm asking for "not fail miserably" choices.

Yes, there is general randomness, but each scenario in this kind of game has a one or more golden paths to follow (as an extensive set of good tips, if you prefer). Your actual play will obviously detour here or there, but you have to stick to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin J
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
My strategy was to overlook the investigator symbol in the health box and only have to deal 5 damage to him. Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go and parley with Lita so that every attack on the Priest will deal +1 damage. You can kill the Priest comfortably with three actions this way (using weapons or shrivelling), and dealing a bit of damage with Agnes' ability.

Evading the Priest before going for the kill is very helpful to stop Retaliate. Blinding Light is good for this if you can save it, and deals extra damage.

Save Flashlights and Perception cards for the Cellar, though you can also use Look What I Found! here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem in previous games was that monsters swarmed on us (spawned from encounter deck) in Hallway and there was no way to go for Lita. It was either move and get some horror/damage that at this point meant defeat or wasting another round on fighting / evading them without moving. For some reason it was a bit too easy for the game to create quite hopeless situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, both with Roland & Wendy, and I won both times before even progressing to the 3rd Agenda. It's possible lucky draw is a large part of it, but in general:

I took my time in the study and brought forth assets. In the first game I managed to draw a flashlight for both characters. In the second, I managed the Beat Cop and Pickpocket which further cemented Roland as fighter and Wendy as Evader/Searcher.

My first game since I had flashlights, I split up and upon discovering the shroud values, saved it for the cellar. My second game, we stuck together and Roland pulled the Magnifying glass. So in both games, each investigator did a nice job gathering clues (esp using Roland's power). In both games we cleared both Attic and Cellar of clues to get the extra VP and in the second, I even pulled Roland's Cover Up and still cleared it out.

When a baddie popped up, Wendy evaded and the Roland took him down. Weapons are a must have here. In one game I ended up with the Revolver, the second got me the Machete. Wendy got the Baseball Bat both games and was able to pitch in once the evasion was accomplished. I did manage to pull more Treachery cards than baddies. Maybe 3-4 monsters in each game (except the boss) so keeping the board threat free wasn't too hard.

Once the Parlor was open, Wendy ran into the Hall, evaded the big-bad, moved to the Parlor and got Lita on our side. Roland joined up to get the bonus so by then I had the beat cop, machete and Lira giving a +3 fight and doing 3 total damage. Toasted Ghoul.

Although from time to time I discard a card to pump a skill test, more often I'm pulling Emergency Cache and spending resources on cards like Dig Deep to get the success.

I'm not sure there's much value info in there... but that's at least what my limited play-throughs yielded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played campaing twice solo, once with Roland, once with Agnes.
Roland managed to get one of the win endings R2, Agnes died miserably to final boss.

Some quick conclusions:
1. Roland's deck is quite a mess with about 6-8 completely useless cards.
2. Agnes deck is absolutely horrible, No way to reliably fight,evade, investigate or recover. A lot of cards look like part of a combo with second part missing.
3. Every action and every resource counts.
4. Talent Assets that let you spend resources to temporary boost a stat are inefficient resorce sinks. I know that starter decks are completely unreliable, but those talents are really awful way to get an illusion of reliability.
5. Try to alway get +2 advantage over the test difficulty, best chance to pass without overcommitting.

Quick tips for 1st scenario:
1. Take Wendy instead of Agnes.
2. In Rolands or Wendys deck replace some useless cards with 2 copies of Perception. I believe Roland has more useless stuff to swap out.
3. Mulligan agressively to get Weapons/Flashlights.
4. Character with flashlight goes to cellar, other to attic.
5. Try to save damage dealing cards for the Priest. Dynamite, backstab.
6. Evade priest, get Lita, get back next round. You should have 4 attacks, with Lita on your side that should be enought. If you dont make progress use last action to evade instead of attack.
7. Be quick, don't waste time spending actions to get more cards or resources. Don't let entire army on enemies spawn and exhaust your resources.
8. Unfortunately does deck are so inconsistent that you have rely on luck. And no, those pump your stat talents aren't the answer to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I did manage to pull more Treachery cards than baddies. Maybe 3-4 monsters in each game (except the boss) so keeping the board threat free wasn't too hard.

Here. That's the key part. I was never that lucky.

Quote:
Once the Parlor was open, Wendy ran into the Hall,

What do you mean? Wendy had to be in Hall when Parlor was opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Roland managed to get one of the win endings R2, Agnes died miserably to final boss.

Some quick conclusions:
2. Agnes deck is absolutely horrible, No way to reliably fight,evade, investigate or recover. A lot of cards look like part of a combo with second part missing.
4. Talent Assets that let you spend resources to temporary boost a stat are inefficient resorce sinks. I know that starter decks are completely unreliable, but those talents are really awful way to get an illusion of reliability.
5. Try to alway get +2 advantage over the test difficulty, best chance to pass without overcommitting.

2. In Rolands or Wendys deck replace some useless cards with 2 copies of Perception. I believe Roland has more useless stuff to swap out.
6. Evade priest, get Lita, get back next round. You should have 4 attacks, with Lita on your side that should be enought. If you dont make progress use last action to evade instead of attack.
7. Be quick, don't waste time spending actions to get more cards or resources. Don't let entire army on enemies spawn and exhaust your resources.
8. Unfortunately does deck are so inconsistent that you have rely on luck. And no, those pump your stat talents aren't the answer to that.

Thanks, good tips. It all aligns with what I already know (but it's good, since I have more confirmation my observations are correct). We tend to maintain +2. I'm not sure I agree about talent cards in these conditions (though I agree they are poor in general). You don't need much cards played in here, you need reliability, because of the lack of time. I begin to think that I just need 2nd coreset and build these decks better. I agree that both Agnes's and Roland's decks are not good. We did mulligan sometimes. If I don't draw cards, I have nothing to work with - so again, the "right cards" on table, the sooner the better, are crucial. If you don't have them early, there's no time to dig for them. Seems like we've picked poorly when it comes to investigators. I'll wait for 2nd core and see if that improves things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Quote:

Right, rather 'when I had enough clues to progress the Act such that the parlor could be opened'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

Some quick conclusions:

Thanks, good tips. It all aligns with what I already know (but it's good, since I have more confirmation my observations are correct). We tend to maintain +2. I'm not sure I agree about talent cards in these conditions (though I agree they are poor in general). You don't need much cards played in here, you need reliability, because of the lack of time. I begin to think that I just need 2nd coreset and build these decks better. I agree that both Agnes's and Roland's decks are not good. We did mulligan sometimes. If I don't draw cards, I have nothing to work with - so again, the "right cards" on table, the sooner the better, are crucial. If you don't have them early, there's no time to dig for them. Seems like we've picked poorly when it comes to investigators. I'll wait for 2nd core and see if that improves things.

About Roland, don't get me wrong, I nonetheless believe that his deck one of the best from the core and that he is probably the strongest character overall. Other decks (maybe except Wendy) are even worse.

I haven't played with Daisy, Skids and Wendy yet, but after looking at the decks I came to some quick conclusions:

Roland - probably one of 2 good investigators in core set, He can reliably do both fighting and investigating. Those are neccessary to do well in campaing.

Wendy - looks very solid, not many dead cards. Looks like she also can deal with monsters and investigating well. On top of that she can mitigate some bad luck. I am going to try her next.

Skids - looks like a great fighter with plenty of resource. I am aftaid he might have trouble with investigating reliably.

Daisy - Opposite of Skids, great at investigation but how is she going to deal with monster?

Agnes - well, she simply can't do anything. Well she can do to a bit of everything but usually it simply doesn't work. She needs many spells in her deck to make good use of her high Willpower and Heirloom. Unfortunatelly there are very few in core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
rattkin wrote:
Quote:

Right, rather 'when I had enough clues to progress the Act such that the parlor could be opened'

Also the priest will spawn on Roland in that scenario so Wendy would have to engage before evading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
My own experience is roughly the following on Standard difficulty with Wendy and Roland:

1) Both Roland and Wendy investigate the study, eating a few treacheries in the process.
2) Roland goes to the Cellar, Wendy goes to the Attic. A combination of Evidence!, Following a Hunch, and his investigator power allows Roland to clear it out while removing the rat swarms and 1 ghoul that spawned with only a machete.
3) Wendy easily investigates the 2 shroud Attic after dropping Leo de Luca into play. She deals with a rat swarm easily
4) We meet in the Hallway and kill some stuff.
5) The Ghoul Priest jumps Roland, so Wendy engages and evades. Roland runs into the Parlor and tosses a Perception to recruit Lita.
6) Wendy engages, evades, engages, evades, while Roland guns down the priest with a .45 auto.

I'd say we won in about 9 rounds.

Important notes: maxing out your good skills is very good! If every character is packing 2x overpower, unexpected courage, and perception, you have a lot of bonuses to throw around and you'll usually get a card back. Note the 1 per check limit though. It's a necessary balance. Also, Roland and Wendy are regarded as the strongest investigators, so despite playing on standard, you might criticize me for playing "EZ mode". I don't think I could pull off the same level of domination with a Daisy/Agnes duo. I'm not even sure I could win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I scroll through all these examples I find them consistent with my own findings.

1) There is not enough consistency in the core set to get highly probably card draw to support all the needs. Okay.
2) Solo is just too hard (all your examples are dual handed). It's not easy to evade the Priest and smash him solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it, yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
As I scroll through all these examples I find them consistent with my own findings.

1) There is not enough consistency in the core set to get highly probably card draw to support all the needs. Okay.
2) Solo is just too hard (all your examples are dual handed). It's not easy to evade the Priest and smash him solo.

Having two core sets will obviously improve consistency, but if you read through the threads, you will find many players who tell of their experiences with one core, and many of them have been quite happy with the performance of their decks, even though they only have the one core.

I think solo is harder, but not too hard. Knowing the scenario makes a big difference - you can take an extra turn in the study before advancing, meaning that all enemy draws are effectively neutered (discarded either through the spawn kocation not being in play or from advancing the act). Also, the -> Resign option is there for a reason - you don't have to defeat the ghoul priest in the first scenario. If you can good, but if not consider your other options. In any case the story continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:

With only 5 health for Ghoul Priest in solo, it's a doable thing. The weapons and allies like Attack Dog and Beat Cop mean 3 attacks can do it. With attack dog, you can put the Ghoul Priests damage on the dog, while dealing damage to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I'm not 100% I played it right, but if you can "discard" the Beat Cop from your played Assets, you deal one damage, and replace it with Guard Dog, you can keep dealing damage without missing a beat.

It allows you at least one turn where you don't have to Evade the Ghoul Priest (because you've planned to let Guard Dog soak up the health damage and deal damage while doing it).

That's 1 damage for discarding Beat cop, 1 damage for letting Guard Dog take some damage, plus the damage you do doing your active turn.

(You do have to figure out where to put the extra damage and sanity for that turn where Ghoul Priest is not evaded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.