Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, I was a little disappointed in the lack of decisions to be made in this game--a game I think could easily have had a decent amount of thematic rules added without making it too complicated.

So here are my proposals:
1. Forage: You may always take your turn to forage for supplies. You may roll the die. Every time you roll a 1-4, a random Supply card is selected. You may continue doing this as often as you wish, as long as you keep rolling a 1-4. At any time you may stop and take one of the selected Supply cards and return the rest to the bank. If, however, you roll a 5 at any time, you must stop, and get no Supply cards. If you roll a six, you not only don't get any Supply cards, you must select one Supply card from your hand or the bank and permanently remove it from the game.

2. Elimination Mitigation: If you are set to die (for any reason) you may attempt to survive. Roll one die. On a 1-4, you must discard the top Trail card and remove it permanently from the game, but you survive. On a 5-6, you survive. This represents delaying your trip to recover.

3. Incomplete Trail: If there aren't enough Trail cards to complete the trail (i.e., less than 50 cards), or if you don't have the right Trial cards to match up to get to Oregon, the game ends in failure.

Note for 2 and 3: there are only 56 Trail cards in the game, so you would only have six failures to render the game unwinnable--and that's not even counting not being able to match them up, so it is more likely 3-4. It may make sense to die than to reduce the Trail cards, and it may encourage people to not play Towns and Forts so they can save a "wild" card for the end if they can. (It may be worth it to add a rule stating you never *have* to play a Town/Fort for just this reason.) I feel like that adds just the right amount of a safety valve while still rendering death a real threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.