Popular Tags: [View All]
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if these have been asked.

1. Are characters persistent from one adventure to the next? In rpg terms, are all of the adventures for beginning level characters, or does your character progress from one adventure to the next?

2. How many characters are there, and how many of those options are female?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 7th Continent, you have one huge adventure over many sessions until you have resolved all the curses you selected at the start of the game (as far as I understand, you can either play with just one curse, or put in several or even all immediately).
Then you take about 17-19 hours per curse -- clearly this has to be broken up into several sessions, and characters are persistent between those (although there aren't "levels").
You win if you break all curses you had in the game, and then the game ends. If you then start a new game, your characters will start afresh.

There are 7 characters, 2 of which are female -- this is pretty lame in my view, but ok.
At the beginning, there was only going to be one female character, but the community badgered the creators until they put in a second one.
Two of the male characters are Kickstarter-exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Gswp wrote:

Then you take about 17-19 hours per curse -- clearly this has to be broken up into several sessions, and characters are persistent between those (although there aren't "levels").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that's really stupid to have only two female characters. Women find it offensive, and men - at least the gamers I play with - never hesitate to play a female character - as long as she has cool abilities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehn it's not realy a bad combo. If it's normally 5 characters 2 of which are women then that's halfish. One might argue there should have been 4/3 with the exclusoves but meh. I'm all for female chars in games but this is not a hill to plant the flag on in the gender wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in the ratio of male to female gamers. I would guess that it is somewhere around 5:2.

Maybe bgg can help us out with this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
I would be interested in the ratio of male to female gamers. I would guess that it is somewhere around 5:2.

I would guess the number of women is lower. And I would guess this attitude is a part of the reason for that.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the main page and checked it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-cont...

It looks like 2 female out of 7 on it with all Kickstarter figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is set in the early 1900's, about explorers. Women were a very small minority of adventurer explorers. In my opinion, 2/7 is, if anything, overly liberal representation. And it's a four player game, so you can always have female characters for at least half the players.

To correct a point made earlier, the game does feature an experience point system, and although to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't have levels as such, your character does advance in ability, but those advancements do not carry over between campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that's really stupid to have only two female characters. Women find it offensive, and men - at least the gamers I play with - never hesitate to play a female character - as long as she has cool abilities...

i know many women who do not find it offensive and are just as likely to play male characters as men are to play female characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

I would guess the number of women is lower. And I would guess this attitude is a part of the reason for that.

The OP in question said 'only' I figured that meant 'he' wanted more. No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not in favour of more women character. It would not be faithful to the era the game takes place in. It would feel as artifical as removing slaves from Five Tribes just to please a minority of the gaming community.

Women as characters is fine. When it makes sense.

*Can't for the moment when people will start asking for ethnic minority to be represented in the game as well.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
The game is set in the early 1900's, about explorers. Women were a very small minority of adventurer explorers. In my opinion, 2/7 is, if anything, overly liberal representation.

Razoupaf wrote:
I am not in favour of more women character. It would not be faithful to the era the game takes place in.[...]

Yes! Let's not go crazy, here. Rock worms on a lost continent are fine, but 3 women explorers out of 7 would just be completely unrealistic.

Razoupaf wrote:
It would feel as artifical as removing slaves from Five Tribes just to please a minority of the gaming community. [...]
*Can't [wait] for the moment when people will start asking for ethnic minority to be represented in the game as well.*

As a fellow french countryman, I couldn't be more proud of this fine example of our legendary open-mindedness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I am not in favour of more women character. It would not be faithful to the era the game takes place in. It would feel as artifical as removing slaves from Five Tribes just to please a minority of the gaming community.

*Can't for the moment when people will start asking for ethnic minority to be represented in the game as well.*
As I have pointed out in many similar discussions, the game is set in a fantasy universe. It is already asking me to suspend my disbelief (which I happily do) to accept a fictional continent with magical curses, double-billed platypuses and huge stone worms -- but female explorers are unrealistic and "artificial"?!

Also, here is an opportunity to improve your history knowledge:
I suggest reading up on (this is a small and random selection, there are many more):
- Harriet Chalmers Adams (National Geographic Reporter who travelled South America, Asia and the South Pacific in the early 20th century)
- Gertrude Bell (worked for the British Intelligence Service in the Middle East, travelled remote parts of the region extensively, and, among other things, advised the British government on the creation of the state of Iraq)
- Octavie Coudreau (explored the Amazon basin in northern Brazil in the 19th century)
- Charlotte Mansfield (travelled widely across southern Africa at the turn of the 20th century)
- Alexandrine Tinné (Explored the upper Nile in the 19th century, was murdered in an attempt to cross the Sahara desert)
- Annie Edson Taylor (The first person to go down the Niagara Falls in a barrel and live -- this one is pretty random, but seemed too good to not include)

(I know most people who make these sorts of arguments won't actually care about learning that there were in fact notable female explorers. They just don't want women in their game... OR ethnic minority characters or anyone who isn't like them.)

Edit: I think it would have been cool to have a (or more) non-white explorer(s) in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could just as easily produce a list of six white NBA players. It wouldn't change the fact that they remain a minority, and I wouldn't expect a sports game to have a 50/50 ratio of representation.

And yes, while the world of 7th continent is a fantasy one, it is loosely based on the fiction of exploration such as Jules Verne or Arthur Conan Doyle, whose protagonists usually reflected the real world gender imbalance

You're projecting a lot of ill intent on people who consider the designer's decision to be reasonable, and who don't consider it necessary to introduce affirmative action quotas on boardgames. It wouldn't bother me if they included more explorers of any stripe. More content is more content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
And yes, while the world of 7th continent is a fantasy one, it is loosely based on the fiction of exploration such as Jules Verne or Arthur Conan Doyle, whose protagonists usually reflected the real world gender imbalance sexism of their time.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, Batman! It's the virtue signal!

Is it racism keeping white people from playing in the NBA at equal rates?

Or is it a question of ability, interest, and life choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike real world injustices, this one can be solved by anyone interested with a fan character card. I am sure there will be a dozen or more posted to BBG soon after the game is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to bring this back to board games for a minute...

If there are few female characters in the game, the women I play with are not going to feel as included, represented or welcome, and are therefore not going to have as much fun. Please don't reject that simple fact, or say that it shouldn't exist. If you can't understand the reasons for it, you can at least assume there are reasons, and let it be.

Legends of Andor solved this by just making the characters double-sided, male on one side, female on the other. It's a simple thing, like being color-blind friendly, that means more people will be able to engage with and hopefully love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren T
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

Yeah, and also, it's not as if female gamers would feel unwelcome in discussions on BGG/KS, therefore not participating, therefore reinforcing the idea that there are next to no female boardgame players... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:

If there are few female characters in the game, the women I play with are not going to feel as included, represented

When it happens please post that picture of you playing this game with 3 females.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
doctoryes0 wrote:

If there are few female characters in the game, the women I play with are not going to feel as included, represented

When it happens please post that picture of you playing this game with 3 females.

i dont understand why people think women are so weak minded that they get offended at not having female characters in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI for all you:

The 720k stretchgoal includes empty cards for creating your own explorer. So you can create a woman for the game I think this should keep everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tonkin
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
Gswp wrote:
- Annie Edson Taylor (The first person to go down the Niagara Falls in a barrel and live -- this one is pretty random, but seemed too good to not include)

This one is great! ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Cini
France
Nice
flag msg tools
doctoryes0 wrote:
I just want to bring this back to board games for a minute...

[...]

Legends of Andor solved this by just making the characters double-sided, male on one side, female on the other.

Shocking ! Why so few options ?

There should have been a male/female/transgender/black/asian/white/arab/anycolor/anyreligion/anysexualorientation/anywhatever versions for every playable one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.