Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
So we finally finished our campaign today, almost a year after we started.

We had lots of fun with the game and I'm really glad we played it. On the other hand it feels kind of sad that now there's no really use for it anymore.

The ending felt a little anticlimatic, but playing December was still fun.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Already during the game I wondered why there wasn't any military AI involved. It didn't feel as if they were fighting us. Actually I was kind of worried before the game since we still had some military bases on the board and I thought this might play more of a role than just making vaccinating harder.

Also I thought, there could have been more of an epilogue in the end.

But still, playing December was fun and tight again. We had already vaccinated a lot of cities in November and when we started I thought "this will be an easy month". But as always, the game was more mean to us than I thought and in the end we just barely made it with our last action with no player cards left.

The only thing I didn't really like about the game was that it felt almost impossible not to screw up some rules now and then. I already double-checked the FAQ and the German Errata more than probably most other players. But still I realized a couple of times that we either forgot a rule or misinterpreted something.

We always tried to make up for it by some kind of punishment but it still feels kind of unsatisfactory. I don't think we ever messed up so badly that we won a month when we would have lost otherwise, though.

The other thing I didn't like were the translation errors. I knew about most of them beforehand since I always checked the German Errata but I always felt for the people who didn't do this. I still don't understand why they didn't put up an official FAQ and translation errata and write in the rules to check it. It definitely was necessary.

After finishing today I found out about another translation error that isn't even in the errata yet. This time it made the game easier, though. In the German version of the immunologist it says you can remove all faded figures with one vaccinate action and 1 dose instead of 1 dose per figure as in the english version. So this was one of the things we played "wrong" even though this time I don't think we had a chance to notice it so I guess we played it right according to the German rules.

Now I'm looking forward for Season 2 (or maybe some other legacy games?)

Btw: We finished with a final score of 812 for a 4 player campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your experience mirrored ours quite a bit, other than the translation issues. That's really too bad about that

We made a handful of rules errors throughout the campaign, while some were minor, there were a couple early on that we ended up going back and replaying the month with the right rules. We decided that unless the rule mess up was huge, we just rolled with it since we all agreed that we were having fun, and still enjoyed the experience.

I definitely agree about the ending. Overall though, we had a great time and like you are looking forward to season 2. I'm hoping the experience we had with season 1 will help us approach the next one a bit differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah... I now found out that the translation error was actually in the errata. But it was in a sub-spoiler for Box 7 hidden in the August Spoiler box. We naturally didn't read it in August and when we opened box 7 in October I didn't remember it anymore that there was still something to read. So, yeah... a game like this needs a different way to handle translation errors in my opinion (an app?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.